The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Tampa Bay Lightning at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 13, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I’m a bit pissed at the quick whistle when we scored that second. The refs have an obligation to get in there and see where the puck is. They were lazy and stood back, while making the wrong call. 

The moment I saw Miller go in and try for a break in the first but got mugged in the process, I knew the refs were gonna be against us (the puck was nowhere near him)…

Overall good game by the Canucks outside of the first half of the first period. They got robbed by the best goalie in the league. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

68kkws.jpg.241dd474418d4cf6d33c3ee11f34c570.jpg

Sadly yes.

Its pretty obvious isn’t it?

They let the other team dictate the pace to start rather than feeding off the energy of the crowd and bringing it to the other team. It all starts with their forecheck. Until that gets going the other team just comes at them in waves.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm wondering if the coaching staff is simply saying "get a fast start", because that's not the only issue. Against the Tampa Bay team, they started the game with too much respect for the other team. Tampa had just come off of 3 losses and a back to back - but the Canucks started the game as if they were going to get dominated and so were passive and reactive. 

They need to get the Canucks to stop thinking about the quality of the other team and recognize the only thing that matters is that they play smart and work harder than the other team. The main reason they won so many games under Coach Boudreau is that he got them to understand - keep the puck in the other end and you have a much better chance of winning games. So what happened this game - they got caught chasing in their own end it's 2-0.

Then when they are chasing the lead, they play too many long passes or wait for the perfect shot. Cause chaos in front of the net and keep it in their zone = winning

Edited by AnotherCanucksFan

22 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

Can't even get net front presence. Way too many softies on this team. 

Good teams charge toward the net and double/triple screen the goalie as soon as they set up in the offensive zone. 

We stand around and watch a dman taking a muffin point shot that either gets blocked or miss the net.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He’s a sniper that doesn’t have the ability to get into position because his skating is poor.

Like did he have one shot tonight? I can’t remember.

He barely played the 3rd period.  I suspect Boudreau sees what he has in Boeser and is not impressed. 

It sucks cuz I like Boeser as a person.  He seems like a great guy.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

As he should have.

Honestly getting tired of Boesers inability to create anything on his own.

I agree. He wasn’t like this when he was a rookie. I wonder if it’s because others coming on like Petey and Miller have got him trying less?  

If we become sellers by the TDL, it should be him for a RHD

15 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

What’s with the personal attack?   
Can’t handle the truth that the game was lost in the first 5 minutes?   
Need someone else to blame because the team couldn’t put score their horrible start……again

I'm just saying. It's not like they beat us by multiple goals. They beat us by 1 cause of an early whistle.

We had a slow start, but the Lightning lost their legs in the 2nd. Vasilevskiy came up huge, but the refs certainly helped them.

2 minutes ago, 1-d said:

Green's legacy lives on.

Maybe goofing around playing soccer before the game should be re-examined…

Honestly I would be looking at everything. It’s inexplicable to be so consistently poor out of the gate.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Regarding the slow starts.

i don’t think the team is asleep for the first 10 minutes.  What I see is well coached opposing teams coming out and taking advantage of our weakness- the defence as a whole.

Good teams know if you establish a hard forecheck this defence gets paralyzed.  Throw it into Myers corner and go after it - he will handle it like a hand grenade.  Love hamonic and schenn , those guys can win board battles but when pressed it’s not like they are making dynamite outlet passes or skating it out like the wind. Get it off the glass and out- but hand it back to b the other team. 

good teams start the game with energy and go hard on the forecheck and our guys have trouble with that back there. We have seen it during Greens time and we see it now with Bruce too.  If demko doesn’t stand on his head it’s like two nothing real quick, 

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

As he should have.

Honestly getting tired of Boesers inability to create anything on his own.

He's out there to shoot and when he doesn't (or can't) he disappears into oblivion easily, because he doesn't offer much of anything else.

A la Mike Hoffman with worse skating.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

He barely played the 3rd period.  I suspect Boudreau sees what he has in Boeser and is not impressed. 

It sucks cuz I like Boeser as a person.  He seems like a great guy.

His problem is he wants to be a great guy to both teams

He needs to commit and be a team player with more of an edge 

So many times i use to watch EP taken out and BB skate by

He has hockey skills with a tennis personality 

When your sniper is not shooting on net, you better provide something else in your game

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Yup; Same here. He's gotta do way more though.  Boeser has never been the fleetest of foot but he got around better before the bubble.  Never been the same since

His decision making has plummeted as well. Don't get it.  He's certainly surrounded with team mates that want him to succeed.  Buck up Brock.

Brock's problem is not just slow skating but that he is shy of contact.

He never takes a hit to make a play, just twirls around to avoid the hit and give the puck up. 

And we all know that he never hits, fly-bys 10 out of 10 times.

Combined with slow skating, we have a player that isn't well suited to play Boudreau's forechecking style.

• Cheers 3