The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks claim Brad Richardson off waivers

TDL is over; Richie's a Canuck again; it's a new dawn, a new day, a new life for .. (Traffic/Stevie Winwood)

He is a competent, if aged, Right Hand Centre who can win faceoffs and his contract ends when this season (and playoffs?) ends.

He definitely fills a need for that 4C position and brings the intangibles.

Go Richie Go!  

14 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Thanks. I appreciate the tag. I really do.

It's not that I don't know the answer, and sure, you make great points, you articulated those answers well ... totally get it ... I'm just frustrated to see our new management bring in a 37 yearl old player and then say in the press conference, we have to get younger. We just listened to eight years of the previous regime saying similar things. 

This is the same crap people pulled with Benning. It's fine that people question things but when you bend their answers and moves to fit your own pre-conceived ill attitude that's not being fair, honest, correct, or helpful. How dumb to people sound when they keep talking about Benning running out of time? Very. It's super childish.

Hopefully you can actually understand what's going on but if not the goal is to get younger OVERALL. It doesn't mean every single move we make has to be for a younger player until we only have 3 and 4 year olds on the team. Like c'mon man lol. Richardson was obviously brought in to be a stop gap until the end of the year and replace some of what Motte brought. He will be gone at the end of the year. Voila, younger. I get previous management said that so I can understand you may be apprehensive of mixed messages ... but we actually did get younger with Hoglander, Podkolzin, Lammikko, Highmore, Demko, and Burroughs while jettisoning LE, Roussel, Marky, and Beagle. A team can state that as there goal and still find it hard to accomplish. Why people immediately want to jump to pinning labels like liars and such is pretty disingenuous.

24 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

Shooting your backyard grizzlies 

He did have nice hair though, he was the flow before the flow. Get him out of retirement and put him on a line with Brock. We need another blondie to complete the line

Edited by theochar
add

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

It's hilarious (but unsurprising) how many fans seen not to get it lol.

We're not signing Richardson to a $3m x 4 year extension this summer. He's a free, warm body, who can replace some of the PK minutes we traded away with Motte for the remaining, short term, quarter of a season. And he can play C!

They've been telegraphing for weeks now that we're weren't likely doing anything major at the TDL. Motte if they couldn't get him signed. Maybe Halak if they could manage it. Hell, dumping Hamonic and getting an actual asset back was AMAZING. Dermot is decent depth, fast, younger and cheaper. Decent enough move.

People's expectations being out of whack is a them problem.

Yup, people should be ecstatic we dumped Hamonic for a third, no retention. We're lucky Chabot got hurt. I think that definitely helped that out. I know we were both desperately hoping/wondering how we get rid of one or two of he and Poolyman, especially moving forward next year. Dermott is exactly what we need there. A cheap player who can actually fill that role fulltime and has experience doing it, while still being young and mobile. I think we're so used to bitching we've somehow filled up 100 pages complaining on three player moves when nothing bad really even happened.

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

TDL is over; Richie's a Canuck again; it's a new dawn, a new day, a new life for .. (Traffic/Stevie Winwood)

He is a competent, if aged, Right Hand Centre who can win faceoffs and his contract ends when this season (and playoffs?) ends.

Go Richie Go!  

I just hope his wheels are fast.

15 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Thanks. I appreciate the tag. I really do.

It's not that I don't know the answer, and sure, you make great points, you articulated those answers well ... totally get it ... I'm just frustrated to see our new management bring in a 37 yearl old player and then say in the press conference, we have to get younger. We just listened to eight years of the previous regime saying similar things. 

$3,000,000 31yr old Hamonic out, $1,500,000 25yr old Dermott in.

Why don’t you concentrate on that one bud.

the perpetual melancholic heart of the average Canucks fan never ceases to amaze.

Moving on…

Edited by Me_

24 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Go Richie Go!  

• Like 1

People complaining about Richardson, I could see frustration if they re-signed him for 2 more years, but they didn't. He cost basically nothing. He's only here for 20+ games.  Relax.  He'll be a calming, veteran influence heading down the stretch, and maybe even playoffs.  The real work will happen in the offseason.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

We aren’t making the playoffs… but does management know that?

Why pick up Richardson when we can promote a few kids for some meaningless games and see where their development is?

The kids are better off staying in Abby and going for the Calder Cup. I have no desire to see Bailey or Di Giuseppe in a Canucks uniform ever again. 

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Go Richie Go!  

Guys come on for education's sake!!! Nina Simone

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

People complaining about Richardson, I could see frustration if they re-signed him for 2 more years, but they didn't. He cost basically nothing. He's only here for 20+ games.  Relax.  He'll be a calming, veteran influence heading down the stretch, and maybe even playoffs.  The real work will happen in the offseason.

"getting younger" doesn't mean everyone on the team is 21. It means a younger core, there's nothing wrong, in fact its helpful, to pepper in some cagey vets. 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The kids are better off staying in Abby and going for the Calder Cup. I have no desire to see Bailey or Di Giuseppe in a Canucks uniform ever again. 

Thank you. Bailey is absolute garbage. I see zero value in bringing them up. It's better to at least pretend with Richardson. At the end of the day whoooooooooooo caaaaaaaaaaaares though? Why do people keep bitching about meaningless stuff? It's like some dude is getting mad because the kids are wearing green bibbies instead of blue.

Bailey, Di Guiseppe, Lockwood, a piece of garbage, Richardson. It's irrelevant. Why can't management just make a simple call without everyone immediately complaining?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Does it even matter though?

No. Nothing matters. Why live this life, right? Why go on… your team isn’t going to win the Cup. May as well give up now and give your seat to a young kid who still has dreams.

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Me_ said:

No. Nothing matters. Why live this life, right? Why go on… your team isn’t going to win the Cup. May as well give up now and give your seat to a young kid who still has dreams.

You're going from "a player having wheels" to this? Don't you think this is ever so slightly of an overreaction?

He's a 4th line player for crying out loud.

Edited by The Lock