The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks claim Brad Richardson off waivers

21 minutes ago, The Lock said:

You're going from "a player having wheels" to this? Don't you think this is ever so slightly of an overreaction?

He's a 4th line player for crying out loud.

Sorry bud… but I’m answering another yet depressive response with utmost sarcasm. 

“Does it even matter though”, which refers to giving up because why try at life. Sickening really,

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

$3,000,000 31yr old Hamonic out, $1,500,000 25yr old Dermott in.

Why don’t you concentrate on that one bud.

the perpetual melancholic heart of the average Canucks fan never ceases to amaze.

Moving on…

Hey, bud ... he's 37 ffs. I can question that. I'm allowed to have an opinion on this just like you are. 

If you had any clue as to who I am on here, I'm far from one of those melancholic Canucks fans.

Sorry my opinion hurt your feelings. 

Moving on from your butthurt.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Hey, bud ... he's 37 ffs. I can question that. I'm allowed to have an opinion on this just like you are. 

If you had any clue as to who I am on here, I'm far from one of those melancholic Canucks fans.

Sorry my opinion hurt your feelings. 

Moving on from your butthurt.

Yeah moving on is best.

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

This is the same crap people pulled with Benning. It's fine that people question things but when you bend their answers and moves to fit your own pre-conceived ill attitude that's not being fair, honest, correct, or helpful. How dumb to people sound when they keep talking about Benning running out of time? Very. It's super childish.

Hopefully you can actually understand what's going on but if not the goal is to get younger OVERALL. It doesn't mean every single move we make has to be for a younger player until we only have 3 and 4 year olds on the team. Like c'mon man lol. Richardson was obviously brought in to be a stop gap until the end of the year and replace some of what Motte brought. He will be gone at the end of the year. Voila, younger. I get previous management said that so I can understand you may be apprehensive of mixed messages ... but we actually did get younger with Hoglander, Podkolzin, Lammikko, Highmore, Demko, and Burroughs while jettisoning LE, Roussel, Marky, and Beagle. A team can state that as there goal and still find it hard to accomplish. Why people immediately want to jump to pinning labels like liars and such is pretty disingenuous.

I'm not fitting anything to my narrative. The guy is 37 ... it's a potential red flag to me as far as future decision making goes and I can certainly question that.

I could be overblowing this and completely wrong or there may be something to it. In fact, I hope I'm wrong. I wish I was a bit more critical with Benning and voiced my opinion. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I think it should be fairly obvious to all that what you’re saying is true. That this is a pickup that muddles the messaging of getting younger while picking up/signing older players in the exact same way the previous leadership group got crucified for. Anyone who denies that isn’t looking at the situation with unbiased eyes.

I get exactly why you’re confused or unhappy, especially so if you were one of the people complaining when Benning did it. You’re being consistent in your beliefs regardless of leadership. I really appreciate that.

Every new management team like most fans I’ve tried to support, but there’s one thing I’ve got a nagging nervousness about. I know it’s a very unpopular opinion at the moment and correlation may not mean causation here, but I find it concerning that once again we’ve decided to go with another rookie GM (even if he’s under Rutherford’s wing). I feel like an organization is at its peak capability when the best person available is in all positions.

Leaving a hole/gap of knowledge/experience from the level of coach to president of hockey operations seems asking for trouble regardless of Allvin’s resume. It’s one of the most important positions in an NHL management group. I don’t think it’s a job you can learn at as you go unless you want to spend a decade doing so. It’s what happened with Benning, he was at his best at the end of his tenure because he had built up enough experience to finally know what to and what not to do. Either you know what to do as GM and everything works smooth or you don’t and have mistakes/setbacks for half a decade or more.

I really hope they all prove me wrong.

It's way too early in all of this to be too critical but - like I said - I do kind of feel I'm being sold the exact same message and approach as the previous regime just wrapped in a new package. Again, though, it's way too early. Could be something or it could be nothing.

I really hope I'm wrong, and really hope it's nothing and it self-corrects in the offseason.

It's interesting about the experience factor you mention. I finally felt more confident when we hired experienced guys like Boudreau and then Ruthetford yet was also a bit surprised to hear JR wanted a rookie GM. i was hoping we could move away from rookie management for a while. But you really can't in the hierarchy. That's how new leaders emerge. At JR'S age, though, I get why he'd rather mentor a GM and why that would be appealing.

I do get his reasoning but I also get your concerns. We could very well go down a similar road with a rookie GM. The major difference I see is that Allvin has a much bigger and more supportive team around him whereas - from what I understand - Benning was more self-isolated with fewer people around him.

At the end of the day, I'm rooting for our new team to succeed and hope it's all nothing.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I'm not fitting anything to my narrative. The guy is 37 ... it's a potential red flag to me as far as future decision making goes and I can certainly question that.

I could be overblowing this and completely wrong or there may be something to it. In fact, I hope I'm wrong. I wish I was a bit more critical with Benning and voiced my opinion. 

Did I miss the memo?  Did we give up a first rounder for him and immediately extend him for 5 years at 3m per?  

Its just a waiver wire pick up and a warm body for the rest of the year FFS.  How you can extrapolate the competency of the current management over a minor transaction like this is beyond me.  He was popular with the fans the last time he was here.  Still serviceable till the end of the year right?  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

No. Nothing matters. Why live this life, right? Why go on… your team isn’t going to win the Cup. May as well give up now and give your seat to a young kid who still has dreams.

Well this year certainly doesn't matter which is the only one he's signed for. I can't understand all the whining when it simply doesn't matter if Motte or some 37 year old journeyman plays out the last 18 games or not. He's not going to be on the team next year no matter what so this simply doesn't matter in any dimension but whatever keep crying over absolutely nothing I guess. How people don't understand what UFA means is perplexing. Carrying on with not caring. You do you.

27 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Fair enough you certainly have every right to be skeptical and question whatever you want. I think they actually meant they want to get younger and faster as a team but for guys like you they should have added [but obviously at times veteran players will be brought in if deemed necessary or they have high quality, and in a situation where we trade fourth liner at the TDL an older player may be brought in because they are free and we don't want blow a 2nd rounder or replace with a crappy young player just so we can satisfy a soundbite saying we'd like to get younger]. Man these press conferences would be dumb if they had to talk like that and provide caveats for every sentence they say. For some I guess that's where at though.

Whatever, seems really silly when it's completely obvious to me that they're not planning on getting older despite taking on a free older player for 18 meaningless games.

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Did I miss the memo?  Did we give up a first rounder for him and immediately extend him for 5 years at 3m per?  

Its just a waiver wire pick up and a warm body for the rest of the year FFS.  How you can extrapolate the competency of the current management over a minor transaction like this is beyond me.  He was popular with the fans the last time he was here.  Still serviceable till the end of the year right?  

Thank you. I don't get it at all either.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

I just don't like it. He's 37. Has nothing to do with money or time he'll be here. I get all that and like Richardson.

This to me just feels like a Benning placeholder move. Could be red flag, could be nothing. It's way too early.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I just don't like it. He's 37. Has nothing to do with money or time he'll be here. I get all that and like Richardson.

This to me just feels like a Benning placeholder move. Could be red flag, could be nothing. It's way too early.

Except we need a placeholder cause we have zero center depth right now.

This is about necessity more than anything.

• Upvote 1