The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks claim Brad Richardson off waivers

2 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

The only players we really had to move now were Motte, Chiasson, and Halak. Nobody is taking Chiasson or Halak. I think in the offseason one of Boeser or Miller gets moved but a lot of conversations need to happen with both players. 

Motte yes.

Chiasson is extremely low cost and outperforms his contract.

Halak won’t waive. Now he’s in a feud with Boudreau. Classy.

I say send him home and call up Martin.

5 hours ago, guntrix said:

Damn. 37 years old. Is he still serviceable? 

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't understand this, he's 37 years old. 

5 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

He’s 37. Lol. At least it’s off the books at the end of the season. We don’t have anyone else on the farm? What’s the point? Lockwood could fill that role. If he’s a nice guy, Canucks will be there. Lol.

5 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Oh god hes 37 years old, if we are selling... why not play some players from our farm team... 

5 hours ago, Pavel the Bure said:

this claim does not make any sense to me, play anybody YOUNG and give them some experience instead of claiming a 37-year old player, I don't care from Calgary or Haiti...

4 hours ago, BureBurrito said:

All I have to say with this pickup is...Why?

A free player is a free player. Even at age 37.

Worst case he leaves us after this season or he bombs and gets sent to the waiver wire again. Either way we lose nothing.

Best case he shows well enough to either earn another 1 year contract with us or gets us a return of a pick/prospect/player in the offseason. Either way there’s a chance to turn nothing into something.

The 2 biggest issues this year for our team is horrible starts and a horrendous PK. He helps with both. Logically a 37 year old doesn’t stay in the NHL unless he is able to and does bring it 100% on every shift he gets. Too many young guys pushing to make the league for him to do anything else and still have a contract.

EDIT: Posted too late to add their quote, but @Dr. Crossbar this is a response for you also.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

Welcome back Brad! I always liked him, but not sure how much is left in his tank. 

5 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Good pickup, was a solid player for us then, excited to see what he’s got left in the tank! 

Is the tank half full or half empty?

11 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Motte yes.

Chiasson is extremely low cost and outperforms his contract.

Halak won’t waive. Now he’s in a feud with Boudreau. Classy.

I say send him home and call up Martin.

Halak reportedly was willing to waive. Doesn't mean there were any takers. 

Why call up Martin? He's on an expiring contract. Bringing him up weakens the Abby team and gives him more leverage on a contract extension. There's 18 games left, just play it out.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Halak reportedly was willing to waive. Doesn't mean there were any takers. 

Why call up Martin? He's on an expiring contract. Bringing him up weakens the Abby team and gives him more leverage on a contract extension. There's 18 games left, just play it out.

Boudreau is still trying to win and he obviously doesn’t believe Halak gives him that chance.

Unless we wanna play Demko every single game we need a competent backup.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Boudreau is still trying to win and he obviously doesn’t believe Halak gives him that chance.

Unless we wanna play Demko every single game we need a competent backup.

There's 18 games left and one back to back. Demko is likely playing until we're mathematicly out.

13 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

EDIT: Posted too late to add their quote, but @Dr. Crossbar this is a response for you also.

Thanks. I appreciate the tag. I really do.

It's not that I don't know the answer, and sure, you make great points, you articulated those answers well ... totally get it ... I'm just frustrated to see our new management bring in a 37 yearl old player and then say in the press conference, we have to get younger. We just listened to eight years of the previous regime saying similar things. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

It's not that I don't know the answer, and sure, you make great points, you articulated those answers well ... totally get it ... I'm just frustrated to see our new management bring in a 37 yearl old player and then say in the press conference, we have to get younger. We just listened to eight years of the previous regime saying similar things. 

That 37 yr old is on a cheap expiring contract with 18 games left. They traded a PK'er and picked one up for free to finish the season. I could understand shaking your head if there were addtional years remaining but that's not the case.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

4 more back to backs including this week actually.

No way they play him all those games.

I could have sworn they said last week they only had two left. Personally I don't think it matters. Just play it out.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I could have sworn they said last week they only had two left. Personally I don't think it matters. Just play it out.

We will play it out.

Why not have a better look at a guy that might be able to be Demko’s backup next season though?

Three games is not enough of a sample size. I’d like to see him get 4 more at least. 

15 minutes ago, Baggins said:

That 37 yr old is on a cheap expiring contract with 18 games left. They traded a PK'er and picked one up for free to finish the season. I could understand shaking your head if there were addtional years remaining but that's not the case.

Get it. It's just rubbing me the wrong way after going through this 8 years ago. You're right, it is only 18 games. Still a bit of a red flag.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We will play it out.

Why not have a better look at a guy that might be able to be Demko’s backup next season though?

Three games is not enough of a sample size. I’d like to see him get 4 more at least. 

May well happen, may not. I don't actually care. But bringing him up rather hurts Abby's playoff hopes doesn't it.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

No problem. Hope it didn’t feel like me singling you out. Would have quoted you if I had checked the latest posts before replying.

You have no argument here from me on that. The amount of bashing Benning got from people here for his doing the exact same thing the current organization is doing (aka trying to find free gold regardless of age) was unbelievable. All GM’s do this, it’s how you very rarely find a gem like for example Tanev.

Now those same people are applauding and cheering Allvin doing the exact same thing people whined incessantly about with the previous GM. I agree with you on the hypocrisy shown by both management and CDC on this trade. It’s the same confusing overall message of the last group. Says one thing does another.

That all said being able to get younger in every move a GM makes is impossible for anyone to do, so I don’t think we should hold them to that level of standard (same with the previous or really any NHL leadership group). I’m always in favor of taking free players/prospects regardless of who’s in charge or age/stats etc. because you just never know when a diamond emerges from the rough.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

No problem. Hope it didn’t feel like me singling you out. Would have quoted you if I had checked the latest posts before replying.

You have no argument here from me on that. The amount of bashing Benning got from people here for his doing the exact same thing the current organization is doing (aka trying to find free gold regardless of age) was unbelievable. All GM’s do this, it’s how you very rarely find a gem like for example Tanev.

Now those same people are applauding and cheering Allvin doing the exact same thing people whined incessantly about with the previous GM. I agree with you on the hypocrisy shown by both management and CDC on this trade. It’s the same confusing overall message of the last group. Says one thing does another.

That all said being able to get younger in every move a GM makes is impossible for anyone to do, so I don’t think we should hold them to that level of standard (same with the previous or really any NHL leadership group). I’m always in favor of taking free players/prospects regardless of who’s in charge or age/stats etc. because you just never know when a diamond emerges from the rough.

100%. Agree with you on all fronts. Thanks for seeing what I was seeing. I guess I'm just surprised to see it so early in all of this ... although I shouldn't be, because you're right, we need to find those diamonds.

This one just hit home from the older veteran vs. need to get younger contradiction in messaging.

But I also started to see it after watching/listening to a few interviews with JR and Allvin, thinking ... is anyone noticing their talking points are the same as the previous regime? And then I thought ... oh, wow, JR and Allvin have no clue we've been hearing these same things for eight years. 

I honestly believe they need to change up their messenging to fans from a PR standpoint. At least find their own unique identity, use different language, be careful and aware NOT to keep repeating the same things as the previous regime. I'm surprised someone like Smyl hasn't chimed in on this and pointed it out to them.

As we've seen, fans don't have a lot of patience - even less now - for experiments and reclamations. 

• Cheers 1