The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Mar. 28, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

23 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

My point, as to why I mentioned the pandemic (just like injuries) - is to point out that there an unknown events that, can only be mitigated to a certain degree, through planning.  I do agree, that no one was immuned, to the effects of the covid economy and depending on the owner & front office, some of the teams did better than others.  So far, the patient approach of the new crew, is a breathe of fresh air; and I once again, have a reason to watch the draft - for now.

As for Weisbrod, his legacy should speak for itself.

Yeah, I’m a wait and see approach with this current regime. But they haven’t made a stupid signing or decision…..yet. I get it, every management makes mistakes. They’re all human of course. But the previous regime, wasn’t just “everyone makes mistakes” - Benning and his crew constantly made mistakes. I’m just glad that they’re gone. JR and PA - we’ll see if they can get this franchise back to where players want to play here, and sign here for lower than market value (which was the case under Gillis’ time here; he made this city an attractive place to play). 

38 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, I’m a wait and see approach with this current regime. But they haven’t made a stupid signing or decision…..yet. I get it, every management makes mistakes. They’re all human of course. But the previous regime, wasn’t just “everyone makes mistakes” - Benning and his crew constantly made mistakes. I’m just glad that they’re gone. JR and PA - we’ll see if they can get this franchise back to where players want to play here, and sign here for lower than market value (which was the case under Gillis’ time here; he made this city an attractive place to play). 

Yeah, I am also cautiously optimistic, with the teams third straight rookie GM.   

As for Gillis, he obviously has the trophies and JB has the picks.  It was fun times, during the Gillis era and the reverse, for the most part during JBs' era - but the constant in both is Aquaman.  Imo, the failure of both Gillis & JB, were there ability to add depth: with Gillis, it was his lack of prospect depth and with JB, it was his cap mismanagements - for the most part.   I agree, let's see how the new crew, will deliver based on there pressers and how they will improve, on what they got from JB.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

It's clear if we provide McDonnough the opportunity to play with us now and burn a year off his ELC term, then he would have signed.  Our foolish hope to fill seats now (direction from our owner for sure) is why.  Big mistake.  Lost another asset.  And JR/Allvin said we can't afford to lose assets.  Didn't trade Miller before the TDL.  And we will trade him this summer for less.  Lost assets.  Great.

Clear??????   Maybe to a fuddled alien brain  ^_^...........  Nux tried to sign him. See:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/prospect-aidan-mcdonough-not-signing-with-canucks

6 hours ago, Timråfan said:

I would argue that the Canucks won the lottery in 1999.

Is there any other year a team drafted two players similar to the Sedins?

Yeah, that can be debated. That draft year, though was terrible. Horrendous actually. Besides the Sedins in the first round, who else had their careers take off? Sedins both had 1,000 plus points, nobody even comes remotely close to them. The only other player is Martin Havlat that Ottawa drafted, who had 594 points. Top ten in 1999 NHL Draft, nobody comes close. Tim Connolly comes close at 431 points, and he was drafted by the Islanders. 

That was a horrific draft year. 

15 hours ago, Googlie said:

Clear??????   Maybe to a fuddled alien brain  ^_^...........  Nux tried to sign him. See:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/prospect-aidan-mcdonough-not-signing-with-canucks

Seems like a reasonable young man. He’ll be 23 when he eventually signs with the Canucks next season. That’s not “young” - Petey is 23, been in the league for 3 years already. I get that everyone has a different development path, so I guess we’ll see. But if McDonough even turns out to be a bottom six player for the Canucks. That’s a win, given he was drafted in the seventh round.  

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Timråfan said:

I would argue that the Canucks won the lottery in 1999.

Is there any other year a team drafted two players similar to the Sedins?

Yeah, better actually.  The Sedins were great no doubt but look at Edmonton...

1980: Paul Coffey and Jari Kurri...plus Andy Moog and Walt Poddubny (40 goal scorer)

1979: Mark Messier and Glenn Anderson...plus Kevin Lowe (three Hall of Famers)

Chicago 1980: Steve Larmer and Denis Savard...plus Troy Murray (99 point Selke winner)

Calgary 1981: Al MacInnis and Mike Vernon

There are plenty more good drafts but Canucks 1999 is nothing to sneeze at, especially snagging the gems in such an otherwise weak year for talent.

Edited by Kevin Biestra