The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Mar. 28, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

What if they lose again against St. Louis? 

When would we be mathematically eliminated from the postseason?

Nope.

11-3 is just the record we need to ensure ourselves into the playoffs IF the teams around us continue to stay at the same pace.

We could get into the playoffs at a slightly worse record if the teams around us start to fault. Though, because that is unlikely, we need an 11-3 record to ensure a playoff spot, assuming the teams around us stay the same pace.

At most, 3 more regulation loses and it’s safe to say we won’t be getting in. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

What if they lose again against St. Louis? 

When would we be mathematically eliminated from the postseason?

Tragic number is 25pts.  Remaining schedule - teams in red currently hold a playoff spot.  

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Tragic number is 25pts.  Remaining schedule - teams in red currently hold a playoff spot.  

Yeah, that's going to be tough to do for this team. 

There's always hope I guess, but it's going to get down to the wire...

This was what I was afraid of. Being so close to a playoff spot, but not quite good enough to get in. And because we don't get in, our draft position moves down by quite a bit. typical Canucks fashion and tradition. 

&^@#. Why cant we get a break from a piss poor GM (Benning), to bad contracts, and now, being so close, but not quite good enough...

If we don't have enough depth for the regular season, I'm not sure how that's going to serve us if we make it in. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Nope.

11-3 is just the record we need to ensure ourselves into the playoffs IF the teams around us continue to stay at the same pace.

We could get into the playoffs at a slightly worse record if the teams around us start to fault. Though, because that is unlikely, we need an 11-3 record to ensure a playoff spot, assuming the teams around us stay the same pace.

At most, 3 more regulation loses and it’s safe to say we won’t be getting in. 

Yea. So not a lot of room for error then. It'll be tough, can the team win 11 games, and only lose 3? Are these regulation losses, I'm assuming, and not the three point games. 

18 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, that's going to be tough to do for this team. 

There's always hope I guess, but it's going to get down to the wire...

This was what I was afraid of. Being so close to a playoff spot, but not quite good enough to get in. And because we don't get in, our draft position moves down by quite a bit. typical Canucks fashion and tradition. 

&^@#. Why cant we get a break from a piss poor GM (Benning), to bad contracts, and now, being so close, but not quite good enough...

If we don't have enough depth for the regular season, I'm not sure how that's going to serve us if we make it in. 

Yeah, the typical strong finish to end a lossing season but this time around they actually, a chance - albeit, a SLIM chance.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

46 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Brock probably gone, unless management can come to terms with his agent on a long term deal at a lower cap hit. It’s obvious to pretty much everyone that he’s not going to be signed at 7.5M cap hit moving forward. Brock just hasn’t earned that kind of deal. 

Brock is pain of ass at summer. No one is going to trade for him if he's not signed... and if he's not qualified, he's a UFA... and if he's qualified who wants to trade for him at 7.5 mil?. I guess somebody else has to be traded unfortunately

Edited by sxqhfeh

10 minutes ago, sxqhfeh said:

Brock is a pain of ass at summer. No one is going to trade for him if he's not signed... and if he's not qualified, he's a UFA... and if he's qualified who wants to trade for him at 7.5 mil?. I guess somebody else has to be traded unfortunately

He is 1yr removed, from leading the team in scoring - perhaps this year, is just a down year ?   Team lacks depth and the current playoff (albeit engaging), is hurting there draft position.  

I understand the frustration cause there was a lot, of frustration associated with previous regime.  With Boudreau: he has done a good job, of helping the fan base move on, from JB & Green.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

2 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I really don't know what people on this forum are complaining about.

I am happy with the team's record and its play... no it isn't perfect, this is a team which needs a number of additions to be a real contender, but it has shown good signs.

Changes need to be made to the back end, and the 3rd and 4th lines... a better offensive system still needs to be put into place as well as a better defensive structure.

But overall, BB has shown the team has the potential to develop.

I agree, aside from changing the 3rd and 4th lines and most of the defensive backend - as you suggested, I'd probably include the 2nd line, part of the 1st and the B/U goaltender.   Aside from that, I'd say we're in pretty good shape ! :rolleyes:

Edited by RU SERIOUS

37 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, the typical strong finish to end a lossing season but this time around they actually, a chance - albeit, a SLIM chance.

...just another end to a year of Jim Benning and green concocted hockey.   Hopefully JR can speed-up the de-construction of this team so this is the last time we see this sort of finish.  I don't know about you, but I'm ready for a change!

Edited by RU SERIOUS

6 hours ago, KirkSave said:

If we could somehow draft a player who plays like O'Reily, that would be a huge win for the org. Guy is a tenacious puck hound, who plays hard and clean. No cheap stuff, just an honest and extremely effective game. The fact that Petey, Hughes and I think Horvat couldn't strip him of the puck on our PP in the thrid period, in our zone, 3 on 1 was impressive play by him and lackluster from us.

Like Motte? 

This was a really tough road trip and 2-1-1 is really good.  Still pretty much buries our playoff chances but is still impressive.  
This team has been playing every game like a playoff game for months, but unlike the playoffs where you only need to win 4/7 they have needed to win 5-6/7. I think they are probably just drained physically and mentally. Have to be up for every game, having every game be a must win would wear you down quickly. 
Time to get Rathbone and Lockwood some games, hopefully sign a college FA or two to get in the lineup. 
Abbotsford is going to the playoffs at least. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Darius said:

i was looking that up coz he has 5 goals this calendar year and none in this crucial month of March.  I get all the criticism Boeser gets, he looks slower this year, and hasnt been effective as he has in past years....but when I see posters arguing that Garland is better "no matter how you slice it" I just dont buy it.  Almost Half of Garland's points came in the first two months of the season.   The team needs these guys now and Garland has done very little in terms of goal scoring so I cant see how one guy (BB) gets lambasted by a few of the posters here - game in game out- while some of the same posters pump Garland's tires.  To me Garland looks too small to deal with the big defenders of the better teams, gives away the puck too much, and his passes are not the best.  When push comes to shove hes doing very little.   

I see him as a candidate to flip for a good d man in the off season. This doesnt mean that I dont think Boeser should get traded.  The only untouchables imho are Quinn and Demko and maybe Petey.   I just dont buy the arguments that Garland is helping this team more - especially during the past 3 months when they have been trying to get out of the initial hole.

Well said.   Garland was awesome until the coaching change ... go figure.   Kind of slowed down.   The opposite could be said about Brock although he hasn't been his usual self all year.   Don't know what some people expect out of Brock, he's not going to score ever single game, only Gretzky and Mario could do that really, and maybe Mike Bossy...and one year Brett Hull.    That said i have wondered how Garland would do with those minutes.   Think it's the QO that has some in a constant stink over Brock, and the fact that after what he managed last season, we'd see more of that and some.    Do think that we need to make a couple trades.    With one or two of our blue chip players.    Thing is - when guys aren't playing to their potential your selling low.   Our expectations need to be tempered somewhat.  

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, sxqhfeh said:

Brock is pain of ass at summer. No one is going to trade for him if he's not signed... and if he's not qualified, he's a UFA... and if he's qualified who wants to trade for him at 7.5 mil?. I guess somebody else has to be traded unfortunately

I think they tried trading for him at the tdl.  No one wanted him because of these reasons.  We know NJ didnt want him. 

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Well said.   Garland was awesome until the coaching change ... go figure.   Kind of slowed down.   The opposite could be said about Brock although he hasn't been his usual self all year.   Don't know what some people expect out of Brock, he's not going to score ever single game, only Gretzky and Mario could do that really, and maybe Mike Bossy...and one year Brett Hull.    That said i have wondered how Garland would do with those minutes.   Think it's the QO that has some in a constant stink over Brock, and the fact that after what he managed last season, we'd see more of that and some.    Do think that we need to make a couple trades.    With one or two of our blue chip players.    Thing is - when guys aren't playing to their potential your selling low.   Our expectations need to be tempered somewhat.  

Youre out of touch with reality on brock.  

4 hours ago, sxqhfeh said:

Arbitration.   And he knows he's only going to get guaranteed money for so long.   His comps are no longer helping him because recency matters as well.   He wouldn't likely walk away from a 25-27 4/5 year deal would he?   Only if he thinks he's better.   And then he'd take the team to arbitration.  

• Cheers 1