The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elon Musk Officially Purchases Twitter, Takes Company Private

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not sure you understood my point.  Threads is easy to open because it is directly linked to Instagram.  The two go hand in hand.  It's basically an extension of Instagram.  I'm assuming you have not used it so don't understand this.  There are currently over 2 billion people that use Instagram, so naturally alot of those same users will open up a Threads account, which takes like 5 seconds, to see what it's all about.  I opened up one myself but haven't even used it since last week.  There is nothing interesting for me on there at the moment to keep me engaged.  It will be easy for Threads to get users from that 2 billion database of Instagram people.  The harder part will be keeping those users engaged enough to keep using it daily, people like myself.

I am sure lots of people who have a Twitter account don't actually use Twitter.  The same will be for Threads as well.  The real key will be what services the platforms offer to the customer.  Right now, Threads is just a place to talk with your friends.  I am sure they will add more functionality over time.  But as of right now, it's not even close to Twitter and Vintage Canuck probably doesn't even have a Threads account...

Let's make some assertions here so that you understand what I'm saying:

1. It's easy to open up a Threads account (as you said), however

2. It's easy to open up a Twitter account

3. You have to literally decide if you want a Threads account. The user has to actually choose to do this

Yes. I understand what it takes to get an account and I can tell you with 100% confidence that the user still has to choose want one to create one. I have both. I've literally gone through the process.

It's fine if there's nothing interesting on there for you; however, that's you. Other people will find things different than you and if enough traction takes place, then Threads WILL become more and more interesting to more and more people. That's how website work.

If anything, I would say that you're making points for Threads. You're saying it's easy to make an account because of Instagram. Don't you see the threat that creates for Twitter? If all Instagram users get an account, that's 2 billion users on Threads. You don't see how that's a threat?

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Struck me as looking down at "the help" despite a lot of bartenders working to fund themselves while pursuing higher education.

I didn't realize speaking about bartenders was such a sensitive topic...   :lol:

I think I'm done with this thread.  I think I'll stick to hockey topics from now on.  Thanks for pushing me away from Off Topic forever, it was a blast...   :)

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 2

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

AOC isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.  Wasn't she a bartender before she became a politician?

Most people who opened up an account on Threads still have their Twitter account.  Also, it takes like 5 seconds to open up a Threads account if you already have Instagram.  Every person I know who has an Instagram account also has a Twitter account...

What’s wrong with being a bartender? Why do you need to ridicule someone for working an honest job?

• Cheers 3

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I didn't realize speaking about bartenders was such a sensitive topic...   :lol:

I think I'm done with this thread.  I think I'll stick to hockey topics from now on.  Thanks for pushing me away from Off Topic forever, it was a blast...   :)

I just don't believe in judging people's intelligence from their profession.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It's not so much the bartender talk as it is your comment tending to be rather... diminutive... 

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Let's make some assertions here so that you understand what I'm saying:

1. It's easy to open up a Threads account (as you said), however

2. It's easy to open up a Twitter account

3. You have to literally decide if you want a Threads account. The user has to actually choose to do this

Yes. I understand what it takes to get an account and I can tell you with 100% confidence that the user still has to choose want one to create one. I have both. I've literally gone through the process.

It's fine if there's nothing interesting on there for you; however, that's you. Other people will find things different than you and if enough traction takes place, then Threads WILL become more and more interesting to more and more people. That's how website work.

If anything, I would say that you're making points for Threads. You're saying it's easy to make an account because of Instagram. Don't you see the threat that creates for Twitter? If all Instagram users get an account, that's 2 billion users on Threads. You don't see how that's a threat?

I'm sorry my friend, I'm officially done with Off Topic.  Have fun in here...   :)

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm sorry my friend, I'm officially done with Off Topic.  Have fun in here...   :)

It's okay. Everyone makes mistakes. Take a breather.

Perhaps at least think about what you actually said though...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

Surprised this thread is still going.

People just can't help but follow every little thing Elon does eh? So obsessed...

Given how monumentally bad his decisions have been, absolutely it should be talked about.

It's not even nearly as obsessive as a trade thread on this forum and yet, it probably deserves to be.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Playoff Beered said:

Just a heads up, that dull knife in a drawer is anything but dumb, maybe read up on someone before calling them out on their smarts because of a job they held.

Ocasio-Cortez attended Yorktown High School, graduating in 2007.[16] In high school and college, Ocasio-Cortez went by the name of "Sandy Ocasio".[17] She came in second in the microbiology category of the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair in 2007 with a research project on the effect of antioxidants on the lifespan of the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans.[18][19] In a show of appreciation for her efforts, the MIT Lincoln Laboratory named a small asteroid after her: 23238 Ocasio-Cortez.[20][21] In high school, she took part in the National Hispanic Institute's Lorenzo de Zavala (LDZ) Youth Legislative Session. She later became the LDZ Secretary of State while she attended Boston University. Ocasio-Cortez had a John F. Lopez Fellowship.[22]

After graduating from high school, Ocasio-Cortez enrolled at Boston University. Her father died of lung cancer in 2008 during her second year,[23][24] and Ocasio-Cortez became involved in a lengthy probate battle to settle his estate. She has said that the experience helped her learn "first-hand how attorneys appointed by the court to administer an estate can enrich themselves at the expense of the families struggling to make sense of the bureaucracy".[25] During college, Ocasio-Cortez was an intern for U.S. senator Ted Kennedy in his section on foreign affairs and immigration issues.[26] In interviews, she claimed to have been the only Spanish speaker in the office and the sole person responsible for assisting Spanish-speaking constituents.[26][27][28] Ocasio-Cortez graduated cum laude[29] from Boston University in 2011 with a Bachelor of Artsdegree in both international relations and economics.[30][27][22][31]

The MIT Lincoln Laboratory named the asteroid 23238 Ocasio-Cortez after her when she was a senior in high school in recognition of her second-place finish in the 2007 Intel International Science and Engineering Fair.[20][21] Ocasio-Cortez was named the 2017 National Hispanic Institute Person of the Year by Ernesto Nieto.[22] In 2019, Ocasio-Cortez received the Adelle Foley Award.[329] She was named as one of the 2019 BBC 100 Women.[330]

Seems the opposite of unintelligent… almost like job and earnings =/= intelligence. Just see Musk, Elon. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

In the eye of the beholder, I suppose....

AFAIK, she believes in Climate Change and vaccines, so that immediately makes this bartender more intelligent than some of the doctors and lawyers on the other side of those arguments.

You really take this anti-Elon stuff personally, don't you? Is it because you defended him so hard, when he first bought Twitter, or are you one of those people who still believe he's the "genius" that "started Tesla"?

Probably thinks sweet talking Elon will speed up his Cyber Truck order from Vapourware to marginally possible. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

Wow.  Holy smokes.  Talk about ganging up on one poster over an off the cuff comment.  Holy smokes. 

Bartenders are great people for the most part.  I actually don't drink anymore, haven't in years, so I don't venture into the bar scene or nightclub scene any longer.  Haven't done that in a long time.

I just want to apologize for anyone that I offended with my comment.  It was off the cuff and wasn't meant as an insult to anyone in particular, especially any posters who work in that field.  I'm sorry guys....   :sadno:

This will be my last post in this thread, I promise.  Probably the last post in Off Topic.  Have fun everyone...   :)

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Playoff Beered said:

Just a heads up, that dull knife in a drawer is anything but dumb, maybe read up on someone before calling them out on their smarts because of a job they held, and why they took that job...

After college, Ocasio-Cortez moved back to the Bronx and took a job as a bartender and waitress to help her mother—a house cleaner and school bus driver—fight foreclosure of their home.[32][33] She later launched Brook Avenue Press, a now-defunct publishing firm for books that portrayed the Bronx in a positive light.[34][35] Ocasio-Cortez also worked for the nonprofit National Hispanic Institute.[22][36][37]

Ocasio-Cortez attended Yorktown High School, graduating in 2007.[16] In high school and college, Ocasio-Cortez went by the name of "Sandy Ocasio".[17] She came in second in the microbiology category of the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair in 2007 with a research project on the effect of antioxidants on the lifespan of the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans.[18][19] In a show of appreciation for her efforts, the MIT Lincoln Laboratory named a small asteroid after her: 23238 Ocasio-Cortez.[20][21] In high school, she took part in the National Hispanic Institute's Lorenzo de Zavala (LDZ) Youth Legislative Session. She later became the LDZ Secretary of State while she attended Boston University. Ocasio-Cortez had a John F. Lopez Fellowship.[22]

After graduating from high school, Ocasio-Cortez enrolled at Boston University. Her father died of lung cancer in 2008 during her second year,[23][24] and Ocasio-Cortez became involved in a lengthy probate battle to settle his estate. She has said that the experience helped her learn "first-hand how attorneys appointed by the court to administer an estate can enrich themselves at the expense of the families struggling to make sense of the bureaucracy".[25] During college, Ocasio-Cortez was an intern for U.S. senator Ted Kennedy in his section on foreign affairs and immigration issues.[26] In interviews, she claimed to have been the only Spanish speaker in the office and the sole person responsible for assisting Spanish-speaking constituents.[26][27][28] Ocasio-Cortez graduated cum laude[29] from Boston University in 2011 with a Bachelor of Artsdegree in both international relations and economics.[30][27][22][31]

The MIT Lincoln Laboratory named the asteroid 23238 Ocasio-Cortez after her when she was a senior in high school in recognition of her second-place finish in the 2007 Intel International Science and Engineering Fair.[20][21] Ocasio-Cortez was named the 2017 National Hispanic Institute Person of the Year by Ernesto Nieto.[22] In 2019, Ocasio-Cortez received the Adelle Foley Award.[329] She was named as one of the 2019 BBC 100 Women.[330]

Michelle Obama is smarter. 

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wow.  Holy smokes.  Talk about ganging up on one poster over an off the cuff comment.  Holy smokes. 

Bartenders are great people for the most part.  I actually don't drink anymore, haven't in years, so I don't venture into the bar scene or nightclub scene any longer.  Haven't done that in a long time.

I just want to apologize for anyone that I offended with my comment.  It was off the cuff and wasn't meant as an insult to anyone in particular, especially any posters who work in that field.  I'm sorry guys....   :sadno:

This will be my last post in this thread, I promise.  Probably the last post in Off Topic.  Have fun everyone...   :)

Using a profession as a measure of intelligence is going to garner justifiable criticism. There are a myriad of reasons why someone has a job, and those reasons are perfectly valid. What is not valid is judging a person or using that job to demean them.

Ridiculous that in 2023 people are still doing this. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bye.