The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elon Musk Officially Purchases Twitter, Takes Company Private

5 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

They look to Twitter because it's the fastest way to disseminate information to the largest amount of people.

I guess I'm just tired of people acting like passive consumers of information. We all have a responsibility to think critically, and you can't legislate that for people, it takes a bit of effort. So yes there will be disinformation, but thats not new. 

13 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I guess I'm just tired of people acting like passive consumers of information. We all have a responsibility to think critically, and you can't legislate that for people, it takes a bit of effort. So yes there will be disinformation, but thats not new. 

Before the internet there were only a few places to get information. 1) news papers (which hardly exist today) 2) The nightly 6 o'clock news 3) AM talk radio.

It used to be very difficult to get anything published. The internet has made anyone an instant publisher, even the most demented among us. So now you have people with harmful intentions pushing false information for their own gain. I'm afraid there's no putting that genie back in the bottle and we all suffer the consequences.

I used to think the greatest thing about the internet was it gave everyone a voice. Now I think that's the worst thing about the internet. Clearly there's some people who should never be heard from.

On the other hand before the internet if you wanted to determine if someone was an idiot you usually had to talk to them face to face for 5 minutes. Nowadays they readily self identify. What a time to be alive.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, The Lock said:

"Sure" followed by "probably" conflicts with each other. Either you're sure of something happening or you're not. I guess maybe if you want to provide probabilites.... but then that also means you're not necessarily sure on it actually happening to begin with, you're just sure of the probability?

That being said, I have my doubts Trump will be given his twitter back until I actually hear it explicitly being said or see actions being done by twitter itself. Like I said earlier, more "freedom of speech" does not mean "having no moderation whatsoever".

Well looks like Trump is taking it into his own hands.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/elon-musk-trump-twitter-account-truth-social/?dc_data=4165335_samsung-browser-us&utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=taboola_news&jd=V1_-1337028585009836305

3 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Trump can try whatever. It doesn't mean he'll succeed. I also take whatever he says with less than a grain of salt.

Edited by The Lock

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

Before the internet there were only a few places to get information. 1) news papers (which hardly exist today) 2) The nightly 6 o'clock news 3) AM talk radio.

It used to be very difficult to get anything published. The internet has made anyone an instant publisher, even the most demented among us. Sp know you have people with harmful intentions pushing false information for their own gain. I'm afraid there's no putting that genie back in the bottle and we all suffer the consequences.

the funny thing is tho, you don't have to use twitter. We don't have to watch YouTube. We're choosing this stuff. Its like anything, if you do it mindlessly then you get what you put in.

Even the media coverage of the sale to Dr. Evil is playing into his hands, by drumming up fear over what he'll do or who he'll let back in. Its all exactly what Musk wants and it'll make him more money. 

3 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

The first clue that this should be looked at with a jaundiced eye were the words "Trumps says".

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

the funny thing is tho, you don't have to use twitter. We don't have to watch YouTube. We're choosing this stuff. Its like anything, if you do it mindlessly then you get what you put in.

Even the media coverage of the sale to Dr. Evil is playing into his hands, by drumming up fear over what he'll do or who he'll let back in. Its all exactly what Musk wants and it'll make him more money. 

If you want to get information quickly you have to use Twitter. I trade stocks actively and pay for a news feed. I regularly get information on Twitter before my news feed.

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

If you want to get information quickly you have to use Twitter. I trade stocks actively and pay for a news feed. I regularly get information on Twitter before my news feed.

ok but thats an example of mindful use of it. 

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Problem is these disinformation is also having a negative impact on those not using Twitter or are aware of proper sourcing. 

These people that believe misinformation still wield considerable influence on politicians and election with the end result affecting us all. Just look at covid as the prime example (probably not so much in Canada but it is a cesspool in the states).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

Problem is these disinformation is also having a negative impact on those not using Twitter or are aware of proper sourcing. 

These people that believe misinformation still wield considerable influence on politicians and election with the end result affecting us all. Just look at covid as the prime example (probably not so much in Canada but it is a cesspool in the states).

thats true, we've had a lot of idiotic behaviour helped a lot by social media. But is social media creating these idiots, or do we just know more about them now?

11 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I used to think the greatest thing about the internet was it gave everyone a voice. Now I think that's the worst thing about the internet. Clearly there's some people who should never be heard from.

On the other hand before the internet if you wanted to determine if someone was an idiot you usually had to talk to them face to face for 5 minutes. Nowadays they readily self identify. What a time to be alive.

This!

Like I have always said, just because everyone has a voice doesn't mean we should give a megaphone to everyone to shout it out. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

ok but thats an example of mindful use of it. 

You're appealing to the better angels among us. But there's a mindful use of anything. Take relationships for example, they can be healthy and beneficial or they can be harmful and abusive. It's human nature to flock to either ends of the spectrum. So simply saying 'people just need to be better' doesn't really cut it when we're designed as a flawed species.

11 minutes ago, JM_ said:

thats true, we've had a lot of idiotic behaviour helped a lot by social media. But is social media creating these idiots, or do we just know more about them now?

A little bit of both. There are research that shows how one's thinking can be changed with constant bombardment of disinformation which social media does.

Also these idiots have a megaphone now to shout out their nonsense. 

But probably most importantly, it give those people a method to organize and form social groups which amplify their affect on society. Though that can be a good thing also with good intention people, an example being the Euromaiden protest in Ukraine. 

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

You're appealing to the better angels among us. But there's a mindful use of anything. Take relationships for example, they can be healthy and beneficial or they can be harmful and abusive. It's human nature to flock to either ends of the spectrum. So simply saying 'people just need to be better' doesn't really cut it when we're designed as a flawed species.

true, we are still monkey's with matches a lot of the time.

I just think the whole media freak out over the sale is laughable. Musk isn't going to invent anything, he's just going to make money off it. If people want to engage in responding to dumb posts, or think they're on their being justice warriors, or freedom fighters, etc. Elon should take their money. 

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

They were always there, they just didn't have a readily available audience. 25 years ago if you wanted to bitch about 'the end of days' or 'flat Earth' nonsense you literally had to go downtown and stand on a street corner and shout your nonsense at random passersby. Now thanks to the internet you can target your message to fellow crazies and form a movement.

Fact check: Are MAGA hats made in China?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

A little bit of both. There are research that shows how one's thinking can be changed with constant bombardment of disinformation which social media does.

Also these idiots have a megaphone now to shout out their nonsense. 

But probably most importantly, it give those people a method to organize and form social groups which amplify their aggect on society. Though that can be a good thing also with good intention people an example being the Euromaiden protest in Ukraine. 

But are these social groups a new thing? All we have to look at is the groups on facebook of anti-maskers/anti-vaxxers locally to see this already happening without these changes.

Perhaps another point I could make is how it might actually be easier to fight this disinformation. You can't fight what you can't see afterall, so having these things "more public" might actually dissolve the echo chambers over time if enough people get forced to see the logic against what they're reading

7 minutes ago, JM_ said:

true, we are still monkey's with matches a lot of the time.

I just think the whole media freak out over the sale is laughable. Musk isn't going to invent anything, he's just going to make money off it. If people want to engage in responding to dumb posts, or think they're on their being justice warriors, or freedom fighters, etc. Elon should take their money. 

Trust me on this one he isn't buying it to improve the business model and make money. He's buying it to sate his ego and exert his control.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Trust me on this one he isn't buying it to improve the business model and make money. He's buying it to sate his ego and exert his control.

I don't disagree with what you're saying. I do however question what the implications of this means. Given the difference of opinions on this thread alone, I doubt anyone truly knows.

Edited by The Lock