The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elon Musk Officially Purchases Twitter, Takes Company Private

4 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

People here actually stated this right? Or is this just another assumption put into another persons mouth?

I have a hard time recalling anyone here stating they support Putin, China gov and the Taliban having Twitter access, do you have any evidence to back what you’re saying?

I didn't specifically say anyone here said it, but you're implying it with some of your posts.

If this actually happens the world is &^@#ed. He’s going to let back Trump and anyone on the far right banned for breaking the rules back on to be able to lie more and continue their racist, sexist inhuman attacks. It’s going to be a free for all disinformation utopia like Facebook. Twitter isn’t all that great at stopping fake news and accounts that break the rules now, but if Musk gains control it’ll be so much worse and would be a huge blow to democracy. I really hope Twitter doesn’t do this.

Massive overreaction.

I don’t get why people who disagree with someone else always accuse the opposing person as being “outraged” or “emotional” or as you describe in this instance “having an ulcer”. It’s called thinking differently. It’s not an emotional reaction.

Refer to the previous post -- that's not an emotional reaction? I don't buy that.

Because it’s only about “my” free speech, no one else’s matters. And if someone else’s free speech goes against my beliefs it should be banned. Hypocrites the lot of them.

That's essentially how Twitter's been operating, so it's pretty ironic for you to say that.

The only good thing they have ever done is banning the biggest disinformation source on the planet: Trump

You think Trump is a bigger source of disinformation than Putin, the Taliban, and the CCP?

Trump's bad, but this statement is just :picard:

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I didn't specifically say anyone here said it, but you're implying it with some of your posts.

Massive overreaction.

Refer to the previous post -- that's not an emotional reaction? I don't buy that.

That's essentially how Twitter's been operating, so it's pretty ironic for you to say that.

You think Trump is a bigger source of disinformation than Putin, the Taliban, and the CCP?

Trump's bad, but this statement is just :picard:

Hey bud, maybe do a bit of research? 30,000 lies in public in 4 years. More in private. He caused an attempted overthrow of democracy. Maybe you forgot about that and why he was banned from Twitter? Or selective memory perhaps?

I and most of Canada will stand and vote against the so-con insanity of hate and fear infecting the right wing parties. We just had an election don’t you remember? Canada chose who they wanted as prime minister. They re-elected Justin Trudeau in case you forgot :)

Don’t worry though for you conservatives out of power because I’m sure they will be governing very soon with such clearly brilliant minds leading the party like Jason Kenney and Paul Poilievre :)

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay

2 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Hey bud, maybe do a bit of research? 30,000 lies in public in 4 years. More in private. He caused an attempted overthrow of democracy. Maybe you forgot about that and why he was banned from Twitter? Or selective memory perhaps?

I and most of Canada will stand and vote against the so-con insanity of hate and fear infecting the right wing parties. We just had an election don’t you remember? Canada chose who they wanted as prime minister. They re-elected Justin Trudeau in case you forgot :)

Don’t worry though for you conservatives out of power because I’m sure they will be governing very soon with such clearly brilliant minds leading the party like Jason Kenney and Paul Poilievre :)

I said Trump is bad, but posting a bunch of lies on Twitter is nothing compared to the thousands of lives lost from Putin's actions. 30k lies vs how many dead from the war, 15-20k approximately?

The rest of your post implies I vote for right wing parties, which I do not.

Edited by Master Mind
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I said Trump is bad, but posting a bunch of lies on Twitter is nothing compared to the thousands of lives lost from Putin's actions. 30k lies vs how many dead from the war, 15-20k approximately?

Quite frankly it's insulting and despicable to try and argue that Trump is worse than Putin. Your priorities and values are completely out of line.

The rest of your post implies I vote for right wing parties, which I do not. Nice assumption though.

Disinformation spread was what I said Trump was the biggest spreader of. Not dictatorship, not impact to the planet, not atrocities committed, not who’s the worst person, I only stated specifically about disinformation spread and I still stand by it. He would have more lies counted by now if he still had his Twitter account. Maybe reread my post to avoid confusion of what I stated :)

Well colour me surprised, your posting history indicates otherwise and I’ve yet to see a defence of anything not right-wing. I’ll take you at your word though and I will apologize and withdraw my statement. I’m hoping that you are being honest about your voting history (unlike our former friend Strome who said he voted liberal then later admitted to never having voted for them) and am giving you the benefit of the doubt.

5 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

It’s so easy to act independent by just saying both sides bad! It’s the weak way out. That way you never have to look at a situation’s facts or circumstances, you’ve got an easy response to everything that makes you feel better then everyone else because you aren’t the “sheep”. Sadly it is most of you who liked this post that will fall for disinformation and even gladly welcome it if it fits your previous opinions, facts be damned.

Speaking btw of paranoia, I do hope your conservative friends are doing ok after freaking out about a Justin Trudeau initiated tax on trucks that doesn’t exist. That must have been scary for them.

Yea the 5% of my friends that are conservatives and less than half of them owned trucks were really scared.  

I like how you think that I see misinformation posted by both sides all the time thats not fact checked proper makes me "weak" because I only take my own opinions.  I do like to call out misinformation by both sides when I am able to dig in to the facts and find out if its true or not.

Edited by Russ
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Russ said:

Yea the 5% of my friends that are conservatives and less than half of them owned trucks were really scared.  

I can’t imagine what they had to go through. Such emotional scarring. Tongue planted firmly in cheek if not obvious. I’m honestly very happy to hear your social circle isn’t succumbing to the daily outrage/anger phenomenon permeating some parts of the country that creates problems for the country like the border blockades and radicalization.

25 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Disinformation spread was what I said Trump was the biggest spreader of. Not dictatorship, not impact to the planet, not atrocities committed, not who’s the worst person, I only stated specifically about disinformation spread and I still stand by it. He would have more lies counted by now if he still had his Twitter account. Maybe reread my post to avoid confusion of what I stated :)

Well colour me surprised, your posting history indicates otherwise and I’ve yet to see a defence of anything not right-wing. I’ll take you at your word though and I will apologize and withdraw my statement. I’m hoping that you are being honest about your voting history (unlike our former friend Strome who said he voted liberal then later admitted to never having voted for them) and am giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Do you think it makes sense to ban Trump, while allowing Putin, the Taliban, and the CCP on the platform? They all spread misinformation, but the latter three have more devastating impacts overall. Even if you want to limit it to just Twitter posts themselves, shouldn't all of them be banned for their misinformation?

That's what I'm getting at, in how Twitter has been terrible at their moderation. They can ban Trump, but not banning the likes of Putin is hypocritical. Ban them all for their misinformation, or ban none of them.

Many on this board have assumed I'm right wing, far right, etc. so I'm not surprised you did as well. You at least have the courtesy to take me at my word :)

It's kind of odd though, because I'm in favour of less censorship, with the mindset that the best way to beat disinformation is with logical and factual arguments. That seems like traditionally a left wing mindset, yet gets labelled as right wing these days. Funny how things have shifted.

Edited by Master Mind
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

Do you think it makes sense to ban Trump, while allowing Putin, the Taliban, and the CCP on the platform? They all spread misinformation, but the latter three have more devastating impacts overall. Even if you want to limit it to just Twitter posts themselves, shouldn't all of them be banned for their misinformation?

That's what I'm getting at, in how Twitter has been terrible at their moderation. They can ban Trump, but not banning the likes of Putin is hypocritical. Ban them all for their misinformation, or ban none of them.

Many on this board have assumed I'm right wing, far right, etc. so I'm not surprised you did as well. You at least have the courtesy to take me at my word :)

It's kind of odd though, because I'm in favour of less censorship, with the mindset that the best way to beat disinformation is with logical and factual arguments. That seems like traditionally a left wing mindset, yet gets labelled as right wing these days. Funny how things have shifted.

No I don’t. Yes, I agree with you 1000%. All should be banned for spreading misinformation, disinformation and propaganda. 

I understand what you’re saying, but I don’t think a good solution to disinformation spreading is letting a person who does so back just because others do it too. That doesn’t solve any problems, it creates more.

I give benefit of the doubt unless someone gives me reason to not to. I disagree with the vast majority of the posts you make, I’m sure I’ve reacted to many of them, but you haven’t ever crossed a line in my mind that makes me think you’re lying. You just think way differently then I do.

I’d also appreciate the courtesy @Master Mind of retracting your previous accusation that I was arguing Trump was worse then Putin because I never actually said that and I agree with you that anyone who does argue that is worthy of derision. Putin is by far the worst person in comparison between the 4. It’s no contest.

It’s difficult if that is the end goal (which it should be) as to deciding what actually works, but after reading many stories of extremists who got out of the rabbit hole, they all have one thing seemingly in common: They started with believing disinformation causing them to radicalize because it came from someone they agreed with/trusted. Most don’t start at extremism like white supremacist or anarchist, they start with reading an article shared on social media or a YouTube video, believe it’s true and then continue getting bombarded with disinformation slowly slipping down the slope of disbelieving reality and facts.

This South Carolina mom is a prime example of what happens. She wasn’t a conspiracy theorist, she wasn’t radical, but then a video/article started to change her as a person. Luckily she had a daughter who helped convince her what she believed wasn’t real (an almost impossible task these days). Many have been lost to this fake reality and more are falling each and every day.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/02/03/tech/qanon-mom-former-believer/index.html

We already know from a study done in the US after paying exclusive Fox News watchers to watch CNN. They became less radical in their views and more distrusting that Fox was always going to tell the truth if it went against Republicans, Trump or the right wing narrative.

https://amp.theguardian.com/media/2022/apr/11/fox-news-viewers-watch-cnn-study

People become what they consume. If they consume hate, fear and anger they become hateful, fearful and angry. Just look at the mess down south. As far as I’m concerned the more disinformation spreading users banned and censored the better.

I think it was a left wing view, but I think most who are of that ideology have changed their thinking given the effects of echo chambers in social media and political parties. I certainly have. I used to be for “showing that the crazies are, well crazy with facts and evidence”. I just don’t think that has any effect anymore when people can google about a previous opinion they had with an article, video or website about the topic reaffirming that view in 2 seconds regardless of validity of the source.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Probably because Twitter's current moderation is not good, and now there's a chance it will be better.

Better how? By allowing more disinformation and  litigious content to remain? Then we're right back to "encouraging more of it".....

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Better how? By allowing more disinformation and  litigious content to remain? Then we're right back to "encouraging more of it".....

I think some just have way too much believe in the idea that Elon is some sort of once in a lifetime genius that will fix everything. 

6 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

I think some just have way too much believe in the idea that Elon is some sort of once in a lifetime genius that will fix everything. 

I sort of get it. He was ridiculed and dismissed yet still managed to become a huge success. It’s the underdog vibe that I think attracts people to him, but his stardom and impact are over exaggerated. He absolutely helped some problems facing America, but he’s not a savior of the world or planet. There’s a whole crapton of people doing invisible unacknowledged work that have created more positive change in their communities and country then he has. But because he’s rich he gets all the attention.

26 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Yeah, I remember back in 2016.....a bunch of people thought a so-called "successful businessman" would also fix everything....

....that didn't quite work out....

51 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

No I don’t. Yes, I agree with you 1000%. All should be banned for spreading misinformation, disinformation and propaganda. 

I understand what you’re saying, but I don’t think a good solution to disinformation spreading is letting a person who does so back just because others do it too. That doesn’t solve any problems, it creates more.

I give benefit of the doubt unless someone gives me reason to not to. I disagree with the vast majority of the posts you make, I’m sure I’ve reacted to many of them, but you haven’t ever crossed a line in my mind that makes me think you’re lying. You just think way differently then I do.

I’d also appreciate the courtesy @Master Mind of retracting your previous accusation that I was arguing Trump was worse then Putin because I never actually said that and I agree with you that anyone who does argue that is worthy of derision. Putin is by far the worst person in comparison between the 4. It’s no contest.

It’s difficult if that is the end goal (which it should be) as to deciding what actually works, but after reading many stories of extremists who got out of the rabbit hole, they all have one thing seemingly in common: They started with believing disinformation causing them to radicalize because it came from someone they agreed with/trusted. Most don’t start at extremism like white supremacist or anarchist, they start with reading an article shared on social media or a YouTube video, believe it’s true and then continue getting bombarded with disinformation slowly slipping down the slope of disbelieving reality and facts.

This South Carolina mom is a prime example of what happens. She wasn’t a conspiracy theorist, she wasn’t radical, but then a video/article started to change her as a person. Luckily she had a daughter who helped convince her what she believed wasn’t real (an almost impossible task these days). Many have been lost to this fake reality and more are falling each and every day.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/02/03/tech/qanon-mom-former-believer/index.html

We already know from a study done in the US after paying exclusive Fox News watchers to watch CNN. They became less radical in their views and more distrusting that Fox was always going to tell the truth if it went against Republicans, Trump or the right wing narrative.

https://amp.theguardian.com/media/2022/apr/11/fox-news-viewers-watch-cnn-study

People become what they consume. If they consume hate, fear and anger they become hateful, fearful and angry. Just look at the mess down south. As far as I’m concerned the more disinformation spreading users banned and censored the better.

I think it was a left wing view, but I think most who are of that ideology have changed their thinking given the effects of echo chambers in social media and political parties. I certainly have. I used to be for “showing that the crazies are, well crazy with facts and evidence”. I just don’t think that has any effect anymore when people can google about a previous opinion they had with an article, video or website about the topic reaffirming that view in 2 seconds regardless of validity of the source.

I'm glad we can agree that the current moderating system doesn't make sense.

I've edited my previous post, and retract my statement. Thank you for clarifying your stance on that.

We'll have to agree to disagree on what's the best solution to fighting disinformation. I see what you're saying -- people can get sucked in the rabbit hole. My thought though is they'll find those groups regardless, on whichever platform allows it. Having them all flock to the same platform creates even stronger echo chambers, with very few people there to call it out. At least if it's on Twitter where it's out in the open vs a closed group, more people can see it and counter with a sound argument. Perhaps they'll see someone else they respect give a counter argument, and consider that the user's current way of thinking might be flawed.

These platforms already encourage anger, as it results in more engagement. It's no wonder there's so much division, and why so many people who actively consume this type of media are more miserable. If Elon can change this and make it even slightly better, where less anger is promoted, I consider that a good thing.

But I'm still doubtful much changes overall. I certainly don't think the sky is falling.

40 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Better in more balanced enforcement of their moderation.

As I've said, I don't think much changes -- just that it's possible for it to get better.

34 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I sort of get it. He was ridiculed and dismissed yet still managed to become a huge success. It’s the underdog vibe that I think attracts people to him, but his stardom and impact are over exaggerated. He absolutely helped some problems facing America, but he’s not a savior of the world or planet. There’s a whole crapton of people doing invisible unacknowledged work that have created more positive change in their communities and country then he has. But because he’s rich he gets all the attention.

There is not many people who have done more, he made the electric car a viable reality, transformed the space exploration industry, and provided Ukraine with his starlink satellite internet to help fight the Russians. The list of people who have effected global change at the rate he has is far and in between, and the money is a result of that.      

2 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I'm glad we can agree that the current moderating system doesn't make sense.

I've edited my previous post, and retract my statement. Thank you for clarifying your stance on that.

We'll have to agree to disagree on what's the best solution to fighting disinformation. I see what you're saying -- people can get sucked in the rabbit hole. My thought though is they'll find those groups regardless, on whichever platform allows it. Having them all flock to the same platform creates even stronger echo chambers, with very few people there to call it out. At least if it's on Twitter where it's out in the open vs a closed group, more people can see it and counter with a sound argument. Perhaps they'll see someone else they respect give a counter argument, and consider that the user's current way of thinking might be flawed.

These platforms already encourage anger, as it results in more engagement. It's no wonder there's so much division, and why so many people who actively consume this type of media are more miserable. If Elon can change this and make it even slightly better, where less anger is promoted, I consider that a good thing.

But I'm still doubtful much changes overall. I certainly don't think the sky is falling.

I appreciate the edit, thank you.

I honestly don’t see any instance where facts can change minds. You have people believing school shootings with actual dead children are false flags or never happened. You have people willing to end democracy if their preferred leader doesn’t win. I can’t agree with my formerly held opinion anymore. It’s too dangerous to let loose disinformation. Democracy is far more fragile then people think and takes constant effort to protect.

Here’s the thing about finding those groups though: They can’t be found if none exist from social media platforms actively prohibiting people who spread it from using the platform. No one’s going to stop using any big media company like YouTube, Twitter or Facebook because their go to source for information has been banned. They’re too ingrained into our society. They’ll just seek other people out for information and just might stumble upon the truth if there was no disinformation available to consume.

It’s like if someone hits a paywall on a news website. They aren’t going to stop searching for the news, but they are going to look at other sources. That’s why I now believe it’s better to restrict some people then just have absolutist free speech.

There’s no chance Elon Musk wants to tamp down disinformation and hate, I’m sorry, but there’s none. What he wants is free speech for any side, regardless of validity or source. That doesn’t help spreading hate. It encourages more of it.

If Musk doesn’t let on previously banned users or accounts that spread disinformation and instead decides to ban more purveyors of disinformation I will happily admit I was wrong, but sadly his tweets since purchasing Twitter gives me very little confidence that is his actual plan.

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

There is not many people who have done more, he made the electric car a viable reality, transformed the space exploration industry, and provided Ukraine with his starlink satellite internet to help fight the Russians. The list of people who have effected global change at the rate he has is far and in between, and the money is a result of that.      

I want you to go to a local charity organization and ask them what they’ve done for their community in the last 20 years (since Musk started in 1999). Then come back and say he’s done more to help them. This goes for any community anywhere. They are the bedrock of any city or town. Without them many more would suffer. Volunteers and charities create much more positive change then Musk ever has or will.

I give him credit for pushing the electric vehicle (and no that won’t save the planet on its own) and revolutionizing space exploration. That’s not nothing, it’s more then many people have done and he deserves a lot of credit for it, but until you go into any city or town and see the invisible work no one acknowledges being done to keep people fed, healthy, alive, mentally well, housed and so much else they provide you’ll never understand just how much of a difference the invisible heroes of the world make each and every day in the lives of millions if not billions.

They are who are making the biggest difference, not a billionaire.

• Like 1