The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elon Musk Officially Purchases Twitter, Takes Company Private

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

This comes directly back to my question about wondering which of scott or musk you thought was posting nonsense.  It costs nothing for a person to accept a person as identifying as male/female or being unsure as something fluid or in between.  Nothing.  By diminishing that basic level of respect it is essentially saying a person is not worthy of even the most basic level of recognition which is incredibly demeaning.

A person suggesting they are a cat or dog and needs to be respected as such is a person with significant mental issues and a need/desire for attention.  That is not right or normal.  I will not get in to the optics of men playing in womens sports based on gender identification; that's another argument.  But the suggestion that school boards are allowing kids to defecate in litter boxes is not only insane but also incredibly foolish (imo) to use as a counter point to basic gender inequality issues present in todays society.

Literally nobody; NOBODY is accepting of that.  A good reference would be the small group of weirdos that get their jollies dressing up as babies and being coddled by "paid providers" as a form of sexual satisfaction.  NOBODY accepts that as normal or right.  Rightfully so.

For Musk, one of the most visibly followed individuals in the world; to essentially say people with gender identity conflicts are not worth the simplest form of respect of identifying them as she/her/him/he in a society that is increasingly violent towards people in the trans community, it is a foghorn to those social miscreants who would do harm to them and an essential green light.

This is a situation in which Musk could have just shut his mouth but instead didn't.  I won't even get in to his Q-Anon conspiracy nonsense about Dr Fauci; but this is not a hill to die on for anyone with basic levels of respect for their fellow man.

Yes it comes back to why I didn't agree with Scott's post. Making a joke about something isn't the same as promoting hate, people can joke about things while still respecting them. I suspect Musk's comment was geared towards the pronouns that aren't based in reality, such as animal-based pronouns among others. Granted, Musk's comment wasn't funny. People might be insulted/offended by it, but it isn't as malicious as people make it out to be. I think it was an overreaction on Scott's part, even if he meant well. You view it differently, that's fine.

Either way, kudos to you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate that far more than those who ignore my arguments or outright waste my time. I doubt we'll come to an agreement on this topic, so I'll leave it at that for now. Hope you enjoy the holidays.

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I think this onion is funny.  

Thing is, he should be the first one to get the neuralink.  Considering how many animals have died in the research to develop it.  FYI it's more than 1,000.

RDT_20221213_2005595859212302570075957.jpg

This is actually reality?  I thought it was a joke.  Why would anyone want this?  

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This is actually reality?  I thought it was a joke.  Why would anyone want this?  

The screenshot of the onion article is the joke.  

The part about Neuralink researchers killing thousand plus animals trying to develop the technology sadly isn't a joke.

Exclusive: Musk’s Neuralink faces federal probe, employee backlash over animal tests

https://www.reuters.com/technology/musks-neuralink-faces-federal-probe-employee-backlash-over-animal-tests-2022-12-05/

6 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Nope, she’s from Iceland.

Elias… Liar, you’re not from Ånge. Talking about Abba…

Here is some music from Peteys home village Ånge, wich is kind of small.

Takida

https://youtu.be/tmQZT12pzXc

Corroded

https://youtu.be/VBySHcgibjs

Dr Booster

https://open.spotify.com/track/2F6FWFnrLsFKD4jiiYGnGd?si=2CfG0729SzKC_AJ3Iafz4w

Well unless someone in here changed my Wikipedia page I am...

Elias Pettersson - Wikipedia

Elias Fredrik Pettersson (born 12 November 1998) is a Swedish professional ice hockey player for the Vancouver Canucks of the National Hockey League (NHL). Pettersson was selected fifth overall by the Canucks in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft. Nicknamed "Petey" by Canucks fans, he was born in Sundsvall, Sweden, but grew up in Ånge, Sweden.[1] 

:)

Edited by Elias Pettersson

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11535997/Jack-Dorsey-admits-Twitters-failures-fault-blames-activist-investor.html?ito=push-notification&ci=JfNV6zQ1M_&cri=EpV1OeE2KJ&si=l0ZeeW8BFH-J&xi=05ebb8ab-baa8-4b12-9baf-4a41a45c6677&ai=11535997

'This is my fault alone': Twitter founder Jack Dorsey takes blame for not fending off 'government control' - says he 'gave up' when activist investor took control of the firm in 2020 and he started to 'plan my exit'

Twitter founder Jack Dorsey has admitted that the social media company's many failures were his fault - before immediately blaming one of the tech firm's activist investors. 

In a blog post published Tuesday, Dorsey owned up to allowing the company to stray from preserving free of speech, but added that he only allowed that to happen when he 'no longer had hope' maintaining it after an unnamed investment group bought up stock in the company in 2020.

Dorsey did not specify which company that was, but he was likely pointing to the Elliot Management, which that year bought a majority share in Twitter for $387million under the direction of managing partner Jesse Cohn, who then set about trying to oust Dorsey.

The former Twitter CEO's comments come as the new chief twit Elon Musk started releasing internal Twitter files from before his take over, which showed that the company actively tried to suppress the tweets of many conservative account-holders.

Dorsey added that next week he would begin handing out $1million in grants per-year for engineers developing algorithms and platforms which would make the internet a freer place, a project he called 'open internet development.' 

'It will start with a focus of giving cash and equity grants to engineering teams working on social media and private communication protocols, bitcoin, and a web-only mobile OS,' he wrote. 

Dorsey - who quit as Twitter's CEO in November 2021 - began his post by laying out what he believed were three principles social media companies should adhere to.

He said that the first rule for social media companies ought to be 'resilience to corporate and government control,' as well as only allowing the 'original author to remove content they produce,' and finally relying on 'algorithmic choice' to implement moderation online. 

He then went on to explain that under his watch he allowed those ideals to falter, and that they remained compromised to this day because of that. 

'The Twitter when I led it and the Twitter of today do not meet any of these principles,' he wrote. 'This is my fault alone, as I completely gave up pushing for them when an activist entered our stock in 2020. 

He said he 'no longer had hope of achieving' those goals while Twitter was public, and that he planned to leave 'at that moment knowing I was no longer right for the company.'

It is believed that Dorsey was referring to Elliot Management, the New York City based hedge fund worth $55billion which bought up a majority of Twitter's shares, filled the board with its own people and then set about trying to fire Dorsey.

Elliot's campaign to takeover Twitter was overseen by Cohn, who along with his team felt that Dorsey was not committed to running Twitter and needed to go if their investment was going to flourish.

At the time Dorsey was splitting his time between Twitter and his other company, the financial service Square, and the social media company's value was flagging as its competitors' soared.

That year Dorsey was also talking about plans to relocate to Africa for an extended period which some pointed to as evidence that his focus was anywhere but at Twitter.

Ultimately Dorsey decided not to move to Africa as the pandemic descended upon the world, and he and Elliot Management reached a deal which would keep him on as CEO of Twitter.

The deal however included the formation of a committee comprising Cohn and four others who would examine Twitter's leadership structure and its succession plan and determine what could be changed by the year's end, according to the New York Times.

In November of the following year, Dorsey announced his departure from Twitter.

Elliot remained a shareholder in Twitter until the spring of this year, and sold off all of its stake after Musk first agreed to buy the company for $44billion in April, according to the Financial Times.

In his Tuesday post, Dorsey said the his 'biggest mistake' was choosing to focus Twitter on managing what people were saying instead of letting people manage themselves.

'The biggest mistake I made was continuing to invest in building tools for us to manage the public conversation, versus building tools for the people using Twitter to easily manage it for themselves,' he wrote. 'This burdened the company with too much power, and opened us to significant outside pressure (such as advertising budgets).'

He added that companies like Twitter had too much power, and highlighted the banning of President Donald Trump from the platform as an example of that.

'I generally think companies have become far too powerful, and that became completely clear to me with our suspension of Trump's account. As I've said before, we did the right thing for the public company business at the time, but the wrong thing for the internet and society.'

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I dont understand, is there more than that video?

How is that full MAGA?

How is it even a little MAGA? 

'Reasonable' ...that seemed to be the message here from Obama. That is not a trait I hear from Elon much these days and almost never heard from Trumpy. 

WarHip is right, this guy (Elon) is up to something and it's not his concern over pronouns. He is promoting the divide, for whatever game he has planned. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11535997/Jack-Dorsey-admits-Twitters-failures-fault-blames-activist-investor.html?ito=push-notification&ci=JfNV6zQ1M_&cri=EpV1OeE2KJ&si=l0ZeeW8BFH-J&xi=05ebb8ab-baa8-4b12-9baf-4a41a45c6677&ai=11535997

'This is my fault alone': Twitter founder Jack Dorsey takes blame for not fending off 'government control' - says he 'gave up' when activist investor took control of the firm in 2020 and he started to 'plan my exit'

Twitter founder Jack Dorsey has admitted that the social media company's many failures were his fault - before immediately blaming one of the tech firm's activist investors. 

In a blog post published Tuesday, Dorsey owned up to allowing the company to stray from preserving free of speech, but added that he only allowed that to happen when he 'no longer had hope' maintaining it after an unnamed investment group bought up stock in the company in 2020.

Dorsey did not specify which company that was, but he was likely pointing to the Elliot Management, which that year bought a majority share in Twitter for $387million under the direction of managing partner Jesse Cohn, who then set about trying to oust Dorsey.

The former Twitter CEO's comments come as the new chief twit Elon Musk started releasing internal Twitter files from before his take over, which showed that the company actively tried to suppress the tweets of many conservative account-holders.

Dorsey added that next week he would begin handing out $1million in grants per-year for engineers developing algorithms and platforms which would make the internet a freer place, a project he called 'open internet development.' 

'It will start with a focus of giving cash and equity grants to engineering teams working on social media and private communication protocols, bitcoin, and a web-only mobile OS,' he wrote. 

Dorsey - who quit as Twitter's CEO in November 2021 - began his post by laying out what he believed were three principles social media companies should adhere to.

He said that the first rule for social media companies ought to be 'resilience to corporate and government control,' as well as only allowing the 'original author to remove content they produce,' and finally relying on 'algorithmic choice' to implement moderation online. 

He then went on to explain that under his watch he allowed those ideals to falter, and that they remained compromised to this day because of that. 

'The Twitter when I led it and the Twitter of today do not meet any of these principles,' he wrote. 'This is my fault alone, as I completely gave up pushing for them when an activist entered our stock in 2020. 

He said he 'no longer had hope of achieving' those goals while Twitter was public, and that he planned to leave 'at that moment knowing I was no longer right for the company.'

It is believed that Dorsey was referring to Elliot Management, the New York City based hedge fund worth $55billion which bought up a majority of Twitter's shares, filled the board with its own people and then set about trying to fire Dorsey.

Elliot's campaign to takeover Twitter was overseen by Cohn, who along with his team felt that Dorsey was not committed to running Twitter and needed to go if their investment was going to flourish.

At the time Dorsey was splitting his time between Twitter and his other company, the financial service Square, and the social media company's value was flagging as its competitors' soared.

That year Dorsey was also talking about plans to relocate to Africa for an extended period which some pointed to as evidence that his focus was anywhere but at Twitter.

Ultimately Dorsey decided not to move to Africa as the pandemic descended upon the world, and he and Elliot Management reached a deal which would keep him on as CEO of Twitter.

The deal however included the formation of a committee comprising Cohn and four others who would examine Twitter's leadership structure and its succession plan and determine what could be changed by the year's end, according to the New York Times.

In November of the following year, Dorsey announced his departure from Twitter.

Elliot remained a shareholder in Twitter until the spring of this year, and sold off all of its stake after Musk first agreed to buy the company for $44billion in April, according to the Financial Times.

In his Tuesday post, Dorsey said the his 'biggest mistake' was choosing to focus Twitter on managing what people were saying instead of letting people manage themselves.

'The biggest mistake I made was continuing to invest in building tools for us to manage the public conversation, versus building tools for the people using Twitter to easily manage it for themselves,' he wrote. 'This burdened the company with too much power, and opened us to significant outside pressure (such as advertising budgets).'

He added that companies like Twitter had too much power, and highlighted the banning of President Donald Trump from the platform as an example of that.

'I generally think companies have become far too powerful, and that became completely clear to me with our suspension of Trump's account. As I've said before, we did the right thing for the public company business at the time, but the wrong thing for the internet and society.'

Interesting.  The thing about these super rich, like Musk and the group who forced out Dorsey, is they are not political for good reasons.  They are political so they can control what they want to control so they can make more money.  And they care nothing for common folk.  

• Vintage 2
  • There it is 1

14 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Either way, kudos to you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate that far more than those who ignore my arguments or outright waste my time. I doubt we'll come to an agreement on this topic, so I'll leave it at that for now. Hope you enjoy the holidays.

No one is ignoring your arguments, they're tearing them to shreds because they have no merit, and as I pointed out earlier asking me for an answer when you are being challenged to clarify a weak point is not how debate works, like at all. As for suggesting folks are wasting your time? That's rich coming from someone who claims:

it seems like there's people who spend a large amount of time on something that doesn't impact them, nor is enjoyable.

and then responds with this when asked why you are spending time on the subject:

I find the reactions amusing, as well as some of Elon's tweets, like the one about Kathy Griffin.

Well I for one am very amused by your posts though, so please keep them coming, laughter is really good for the soul after all. So kudos to you as well for continuing to respond and I hope you also enjoy your holidays with your loved ones.

Edited by Playoff Beered
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That isn't even remotely MAGA.

MAGA doctrine is literally there to cancel anyone who doesn't fall in lock step or goose step or whatever they do now.

Obama spoke plain simple truth.  be reasonable.  Yelling and screeching at people because they are trying is not activism.  Calling people out on social media is not activism.  Not everyone is a bad person and that while you can have disagreements, you can also both love your kids, enjoy sunny days etc.

To claim that is "maga" type thinking is laughable

• Cheers 2