The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 14, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

52 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He wasn't a core player in Tampa.  He also wasn't a 100 point player in Tampa.  He wasn't even a 50 point player in Tampa.

His current contract confirmed everything you said about his role in Tampa and why he got that contract from Yzerman - great depth in Tampa; but his role with the Canucks is very different.  My point: he obviously wants to win a cup and will he be willing to stay with a Canuck team: that is not good enough to make the playoffs & not bad enough to draft an impact player (unless, they get lucky and draft a Barzal type player, at there draft position) ?  Also, with hardly any cap to improve, Allvin & crew have alot of work ahead of them in the offseason to open up cap space. 

Not sure, if he will stay for a discount cause his agent has already tweeted out - 'show me the money'.  Have to wait & see what the new front office will do.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why not?  Other than one breakout season, Henrik averaged less than a point a game throughout his entire career.  Henrik didn't hit 100 points until he was 29, same as Miller.  And their was two Sedins so both had to get paid.  Also, Henrik was basically a 3rd line player until he broke out at age 25, kinda similar to Miller who broke out at age 26.  

The Sedins are legends in Vancouver, but don't act like they came into the league at 20 years old as superstars like Pavel Bure.  They couldn't even skate until they were 23.

Because you couldn't just sign one of them, you had to make a massive commitment to two contracts.  And if you think, as people, Miller is comparable to Hank and Danny, then...........

34 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

A new Miller contract would abolutely cripple this team. 

Chances are this team won't win the Cup once they're good enough to go on actual playoff runs. Having Miller eating up so much cap for someone who's likely to regress back to a 40pt guy would limit any chance to improve this roster. 

It's like some of you don't want the Canucks to win the Cup and just like the 2.5 hour distraction in your day. 

Really? If he signed for 7.5 AAV we'd be crippled?

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

But think of the cap space!!!  We could sign 29 or 30 year old UFAs with the $9m instead!!

Or sign three very solid depth players, the kind of players and depth you need to win Cups.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Do you really want this team to have a $9m (minimum) cap hit for a 35-38 year old JT Miller when Petey and Hughes are in their prime and hitting UFA years and wanting to be paid?  

If we win two cups with him here Yes i would be ok with him being here at that hit. Theres always possible buyouts and trades including salary retention.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I think we just rename PGT's as 'The Miller trade thread'

Like after every game, whether he gets 5 points or not.

It's kinda weird. He is really showing to be a very special talent, you'd think more people would want to move heaven and earth to keep him. Only EP, Demko and Hughes are more important to the club. 

Anyway. keep riding that wave Nucks, what a great team we have. I always knew we had the talent but how they have played under BB is awesome. Imagine a full season. 

If Miller was willing to sign a $9m x 3 deal, I'd be first in line

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I think we just rename PGT's as 'The Miller trade thread'

Like after every game, whether he gets 5 points or not.

It's kinda weird. He is really showing to be a very special talent, you'd think more people would want to move heaven and earth to keep him. Only EP, Demko and Hughes are more important to the club. 

Anyway. keep riding that wave Nucks, what a great team we have. I always knew we had the talent but how they have played under BB is awesome. Imagine a full season. 

Real quality C depth is one of the hardest things to develop. You can even replace Brock with Chaisson temporarily on the PP. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

His current contract confirmed everything you said about his role in Tampa and why he got that contract from Yzerman - great depth in Tampa; but his role with the Canucks is very different.  My point: he obviously wants to win a cup and will he be willing to stay with a Canuck team: that is not good enough to make the playoffs & not bad enough to draft an impact player (unless, they get lucky and draft a Barzal type player, at there draft position) ?  Also, with hardly any cap to improve, Allvin & crew have alot of work ahead of them in the offseason to open up cap space. 

Not sure, if he will stay for a discount cause his agent has already tweeted out - 'show me the money'.  Have to wait & see what the new front office will do.

He talked about it.

He is finally in the role he had always hoped to be on a team.  We are fortunate that it is with us, that he has shown his full potential.

I hope this weighs on his decision to stay. Will he have the same role on a new team? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Because it takes a lot of getting in and losing to get there.  They could make a Cinderella rin, no doubt, but I don't really want a one and done team.  I want to see a perennial contender

So you’re saying if they had a Cinderella run and by some miracle won the cup, you don’t want that. It would be better to struggle in the playoffs for a few years first, because then they earned it.

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

Just now, stawns said:

He is now, what's he going to be in 5-8 years from now because they still have to pay him a massive cap hit

We don't know.  What I do know is this franchise has given away players that we know work well with the team.  We've always regretted it.  Mitchell, Tanev, Toffoli to name a few.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Or sign three very solid depth players, the kind of players and depth you need to win Cups.

The Depth players you are asking them to sign are Pearson Garland Chaisson etc. I can understand if you are not happy with those players , but we need talented leaders to compete and then build around them. Not trade them away to add the supplemental pieces . You keep the stars and add to them with what you draft or sign in FA

Im pretty sure we will not agree on this

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Too many people mesmerized by the now, without looking down the road

How do you judge this team without looking at what they are doing now? We have some good talented young players coming up in Podz, Rathbone may make the team and we lose the Luongo recapture soon also. 3 million added as well as Possibly trading Boeser or losing his 5 mill in Salary also help

• Like 1