The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Boeser is the odd man out - 8 year projection!

Ok, this might be my best one yet...

To PIT:

Boeser

Poolman ($750k retained)

3rd Round Pick

To VAN:
Marino

The Penguins get a perennial 20-25 (maybe 30) goal scorer, Poolman at a very palatable $1.750M AAV RHD, and a sweetener in the 3rd round pick.

The Canucks get a very nicely cost controlled Tanev-lite RHD in Marino.  They have also unloaded Boeser and most of Poolman's cap hit for much needed cap space.

Now to the projections:

Assuming the cap goes up by $1M per year for the next 3 years, then a very conservative $2M per year after that (after escrow taken care of in 2024-25)...

$8.5M x 8 for Miller

$7M AAV for Horvat

$9M AAV for Petey

Dickinson traded while retaining $750k.  He becomes MUCH more tradeable at a $1.9M cap hit for 2 years.

Sign Nic Deslauriers for $2.5M for 3 years.  After seeing him last night, he's exactly what we need in the bottom 6.  Would take a huge load off of Schenn.

As you can see, we keep our competitive advantage of having Miller, Petey, and Horvat down the middle (three 30-goal scoring centres).

TONS and TONS of cap space to play with, and that's WITH a significant Miller extension.  When the window finally blows wide open in 2 or 3 years, we have MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of cap room to work with to improve on the already great core of players that are here.

The window is open now folks.

Podkolzin-Petey-Hoglander

Garland-Miller-Chiasson

Pearson-Bo-Deslauriers

Highmore-Lamikko-Lockwood

Hughes-Marino

OEL-Schenn

Dermott-Myers

Defensively responsible guy on each pairing with an offensively minded partner.

Cap2029-30Penguins.jpg.cc506613e39d3a796bb2d00637f7958c.jpg

• Cheers 1

Just now, JM_ said:

If we can get Marino, I think we can trade Myers and use that cap to upgrade that F group. Chiasson in the top 6 makes me sad. 

We could, but we could also sign a UFA to fill in for a few years.  I'd hate to try and find a replacement for Myers too.

Now ideal would be if we could sign Manson in the offseason and then unload Myers.

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, JM_ said:

If we can get Marino, I think we can trade Myers and use that cap to upgrade that F group. Chiasson in the top 6 makes me sad. 

With Horvat, Pearson and Hoglander out; it is hard to be too sad about Chiasson being next man up.

• Cheers 1

I have wondered about a similar package for Ryan Pulock in Long Island. We maybe need to upgrade draft pick or another sweetener but Pulock comes with a lot more experience than Marino. 

Pulock is a bit older than Marino, but at 27 he has lots of hockey left and fits into the age group of our core. I could see NYI wanting to retool a bit after this season and start to get younger plus they will need to pay Dobson. Moving Pulock might thin the D more than they want but it might be worth checking into. 

• Vintage 1

To get rid of poolman i'd commit to this.

I'd say we don't need to add the pick.

I'd also be as ballsy as to question PK Subban in free agency coming to the team.  That RHD needs help badly.  Subban could very well be that cheaper contract veteran that teams have and need.  he's a wild card but Marino and Subban vs poolman and Myers is addition by subtraction

Edited by Warhippy

39 minutes ago, JM_ said:

How about if we manage to sign Manson, then trade Myers to Columbus for Roslovic?  CLB needs some serious RHD help.

Garland-Miller-Roslovic

Pearson-Bo-Deslauriers

Hughes-Manson

OEL-Marino

Dermott-Schenn

Burroughs

Hells yes!  Every forward has speed (other than Pearson).  Much needed grit with Deslauriers and Manson added too.

Edited by HKSR

5 minutes ago, Caboose said:

Canucks fans trying to pay Miller like its 2012.

At least get the year right... 2011-12 JT Miller was playing for the Plymouth Whalers.  2012-13 JT Miller was a rookie playing 26 games and scoring 4 points for the NYR. 

So... your comment makes ZERO sense.  Nice try though!  :emot-parrot:

This is what I think the Canucks want to do, from their comments:

- build a young core and get faster

- add / build up the prospect pool

- clear cap space

- get a superstar

I hope they make big changes this off season so this stuff happens. And re-signing Miller goes against all of it. 

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, HKSR said:

How about if we manage to sign Manson, then trade Myers to Columbus for Roslovic?  CLB needs some serious RHD help.

Garland-Miller-Roslovic

Pearson-Bo-Deslauriers

Hughes-Manson

OEL-Marino

Dermott-Schenn

Burroughs

I say no to Deslauriers on a third line. He's a 4th liner through and through, though does add good toughness.

I also love Manson as a target to improve the D. Overall, I like these defensive pairings much more than we currently have. 

I don't think, however, Myers gets us Roslovic. Not even close.

15 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I say no to Deslauriers on a third line. He's a 4th liner through and through, though does add good toughness.

I also love Manson as a target to improve the D. Overall, I like these defensive pairings much more than we currently have. 

I don't think, however, Myers gets us Roslovic. Not even close.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Deslauriers is on the Wild's 3rd line.  If he's a 3rd liner on that team, he's more than qualified to be a 3rd liner on this team.

Top 4 RHD have a ton of value.  We're seeing that right now while trying to acquire one.  The only reason we wanna get rid of a guy like that is because we've replaced him with another Top 4 RHD that better fits what our defensive group needs (ie. we don't need two 2-way types in OEL and Myers on the same pair).  Roslovic has never scored 20 goals, and has only broken 40pts once (this year).  Albeit he was on pace last year.  So a 20 goal 40 point forward is worth more than an established Top 4 RHD?  I don't think so.

19 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

This is what I think the Canucks want to do, from their comments:

- build a young core and get faster

- add / build up the prospect pool

- clear cap space

- get a superstar

I hope they make big changes this off season so this stuff happens. And re-signing Miller goes against all of it. 

We don't need to build a young core... we have a young core:  Petey, Hughes, Bo, Demko, Podz, Hogs.  What we need is to better support them. 

Prospect pool sucks because we traded away 1st and 2nd round picks.  Just don't do it for a couple years and the pool will build back up.

Clearly you can clear cap space in other ways (as I've shown). 

I really don't know how you just go out and get a superstar. 

Re-signing Miller doesn't hamper any of the above.

• Vintage 1

We have room to keep Boeser, but I do think that he will be used to plug other holes.

My really basic prediction is that Boeser and Myers will both be moved this offseason for cap space and a more balanced lineup. We'll hit camp in September with a much more defined top and bottom 6 as well as redefined RD coverage.

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

We have room to keep Boeser, but I do think that he will be used to plug other holes.

My really basic prediction is that Boeser and Myers will both be moved this offseason for cap space and a more balanced lineup. We'll hit camp in September with a much more defined top and bottom 6 as well as redefined RD coverage.

I agree with both of your points.

We certainly can afford to keep Boeser, but we need to bolster other areas.

I also like Myers, but with the way the defense is structured, we need someone to play the stay-at-home role with OEL so he can do his thing offensively.  There's serious untapped offensive game in OEL that we've seen when Hughes gets injured.  We need it!

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Garland-Miller-Roslovic

Pearson-Bo-Deslauriers

Hughes-Manson

OEL-Marino

Dermott-Schenn

Burroughs

Hells yes!  Every forward has speed (other than Pearson).  Much needed grit with Deslauriers and Manson added too.

do all these additions have the speed and toughness that PA is looking for?

• Like 1

Just now, smithers joe said:

do all these additions have the speed and toughness that PA is looking for?

I'd say there's grit on every forward line, and grit on every defence pairing.  Toughness doesn't need to mean dropping the gloves.  In my opinion, it means 'not putting up with sh*t"... there's plenty in that lineup that wouldn't put up with sh*t, and you have Deslauriers and Schenn to back you up.

Who in that forward group do you feel is lacking speed? other than Pearson?

26 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Deslauriers is on the Wild's 3rd line.  If he's a 3rd liner on that team, he's more than qualified to be a 3rd liner on this team.

Top 4 RHD have a ton of value.  We're seeing that right now while trying to acquire one.  The only reason we wanna get rid of a guy like that is because we've replaced him with another Top 4 RHD that better fits what our defensive group needs (ie. we don't need two 2-way types in OEL and Myers on the same pair).  Roslovic has never scored 20 goals, and has only broken 40pts once (this year).  Albeit he was on pace last year.  So a 20 goal 40 point forward is worth more than an established Top 4 RHD?  I don't think so.

He may well be, but he doesn't produce. I am all on board for bringing in heavy players, but they have to be able to contribute if they are placed on anything other than the 4th line - and even then, it'd be nice to see guys on the 4th who can pot more than a dozen points a season if possible.

As for a top 4 RHD, I personally see Myers as a poor-man's top 4. He can eat minutes, sure, but he doesn't consistently bring a lot to the table other than his size. He's an "OK" defender. He can contribute offensively as well, but only sometimes. And while he is good at leaning on guys and taking them out of the play, he isn't consistent with his physical game, and tends to take penalties he wouldn't have to if he was just a bit... well, better. And still, all that would be just fine if he wasn't being paid 6m, but he is - so I think it's not just the averageness of his ability, but moreso the expense that's what keeps his contract from holding any value. I certainly don't see the return you suggest.