The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Review of Top Gun: Maverick

Provost

I got to see a special preview screening of this film a few days ago as part of a conference.  It is released at the end of May.

Best movie of the year I think hands down.  It was everything you wanted it to be.  See it on the biggest screen you can and in the best sound.

It was filmed in IMAX, so if you are near an IMAX screen get tickets to that.  If not, then at least find a theatre that has ATMOS sound.  The fighter jet dogfight sequences are amazing in immersive sound.  This is most definitely not a wait for it on demand kind of flick.

• Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, Provost said:

I got to see a special preview screening of this film a few days ago as part of a conference.  It is released at the end of May.

Best movie of the year I think hands down.  It was everything you wanted it to be.  See it on the biggest screen you can and in the best sound.

It was filmed in IMAX, so if you are near an IMAX screen get tickets to that.  If not, then at least find a theatre that has ATMOS sound.  The fighter jet dogfight sequences are amazing in immersive sound.  This is most definitely not a wait for it on demand kind of flick.

ugghhh fine.  FINE

I'll go to stupid vancouver to see a stupid tom cruise movie that shaped the lives of every boy over the age of 40 when it was released and try to recapture the fleeting youth I felt when I saw the initial trailer without filling my pants with excitement.

Fine, k Prov...Prov, K I'll do it

:P

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

ugghhh fine.  FINE

I'll go to stupid vancouver to see a stupid tom cruise movie that shaped the lives of every boy over the age of 40 when it was released and try to recapture the fleeting youth I felt when I saw the initial trailer without filling my pants with excitement.

Top Gun. A generations introduction to homo-eroticism. 
I kid, I kid, I am kind of kidding. 
‘I really don’t like Tom Cruise but man he does make some good movies and I probably will go see in the IMAX. 

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

No, way.

I'll turn and burn on the idea of seeing a remake of this flick.

How good is the new version of the 'Danger Zone' song though? 

The soundtrack is great… the entire audience lost their minds as soon as the Top Gun Anthem started playing and that guitar solo started.

They didn’t modrrnizr anything, the entire movie feels like it came right out of the 80’s.  We had been subjected to a week of CGI heavy previews and the practical effects from this just felt way more intense and tangible.  The sound team should be winning the Oscars this year.

I might have been spoiled seeing it in a 3,000 seat room set up by Dolby to show off it’s systems… but I am sure it will still sound amazing in regular theatres.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

ugghhh fine.  FINE

Are you in the Okanagan… I vaguely recall that but could be wrong.

West Kelowna has a special screening room with full Auro3D which would be pretty darn good.

25 minutes ago, Provost said:

Are you in the Okanagan… I vaguely recall that but could be wrong.

West Kelowna has a special screening room with full Auro3D which would be pretty darn good.

Yes I am in Penticton, I might look for that but to my knowledge we don't ghave an imax or comparable room in the area.

Has it really been 36 years since the original Top Gun?  I was in third year university when this movie came out and watched this in the theater with my girlfriend at the time who got all squirmy during the sweaty love making between Maverick and his instructor.  Was the best two dollars I ever spent on a date (that was when there was Two Dollar Tuesdays).

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Yes I am in Penticton, I might look for that but to my knowledge we don't ghave an imax or comparable room in the area.

West Kelowna Landmark Extreme.  It isn’t IMAX but it is the only Auro3D room in the entire country I believe.  I haven’t been there, but it is pretty handy to Penticton.

9 hours ago, Provost said:

I HATED the first one. 

Round two?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

No, way.

I'll turn and burn on the idea of seeing a remake of this flick.

How good is the new version of the 'Danger Zone' song though? 

USA USA USA ! 

This article is for the true military afficiando 

https://www.military.com/off-duty/2019/07/22/79-cringeworthy-errors-top-gun.html