The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver 2022 Offseason Moves

Now that we had a decent time to assess last year we can determine where we need to allow for growth and where we need to improve.  In some cases that means stepping back in a few places to add depth, and in others directly filling some specific needs.  Here is a quick rundown of some options to take that next step.  Nothing ground-breaking from what has been discussed before, however something that feels in the realm of being attainable if the management team is ready to move fast.  Typically unlikely to have this many moves, but they don’t seem too far fetched (Famous last words):

Trades:

To Van: Fiala

To Min: Boeser, 2023 2nd

Reason: Fiala adds to the up-tempo pace required for our offence, and Minny moves on from a player that likely doesn’t want to be back.  We add a 2nd to offset the value difference as Fiala has stepped up in value from what everyone has seen.

To Van: Schneider, Chytil

To NY: Miller

Reason: Schneider may be untouchable, but regardless, I have lowered the ask from what had been discussed to death.  Lowering the depth of ask may still allow for the quality of the ask. 

To Van: Zacha + 2022 3rd

To NJ: Myers, Pearson

Reason: Gives NJ the ready now players to give them a boost towards the playoffs for the same cap as what Subban was.  Canucks clear cap and acquire a 3C/W with large size who has the ability to do more.  Change of scenery type deal for both teams.  Highly likely that we may have to take some cap back, but NJ is in a position to use that cap to improve.

I believe Poolman and Dickinson have negative value at this point, so I would suggest to at least build that up a bit before moving them.  They can only move up from there.

Signings:

Sign Kuzmenko (Fits top 6 need, age group etc)

Sign Zadorov (Gives a pure stay at home D man to open up OEL to be more offensive.  Left shot but plays RD and likely will cost less vs last contract)

Sign Richardson (Depth only)

Podkolzin Pettersson Fiala

Kuzmenko Horvat Garland

Chytil Zacha Hoglander

Lammikko Dickenson Highmore

Extras: Lockwood, Richardson

Hughes Schneider

Ekman-Larsson Zadorov

Rathbone Poolman

Extras: Dermott – Schenn

Demko

Martin

It feels like these moves would create a more up-tempo pace at forward, and provide some defensive stability on D to allow the LD defenseman the ability to lead the rush.  I feel this also gives us a much stronger 3rd line with the ability for all three to move up in the lineup if they progress.  I didn't run the numbers but it feels like we also get some major cap flexibility to add where we need to.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Seems like a waste of cap space to bring in a 6M D to replace a 3rd pairing D.  Severson and Hamilton are their top-4 RDs. Hamilton signed long term at 9M and although NJD were out of the playoffs Fitzgerald refused to trade Severson saying he helps them win.  Sure sounds like they will try and extend him - he wants to stay per Friedman. Don't really see why they would want Pearson unless it's in a swap with Tatar or Johnsson. There were several teams interested in Zacha.

Doubt the Wild have any interest in Boeser + they can't afford him.  The Wild will be looking for picks and prospects for Fiala.  Friedman talks here how it would require major surgery to bring Fiala back given their cap situation so it's near impossible to pull off so it looks like they will be forced to trade him.  Marek believes it will be a whopper of a deal.  Thinks it's a draft day trade for futures with close to no salary coming back.  

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, mll said:

Seems like a waste of cap space to bring in a 6M D to replace a 3rd pairing D.  Severson and Hamilton are their top-4 RDs. Hamilton signed long term at 9M and although NJD were out of the playoffs Fitzgerald refused to trade Severson saying he helps them win.  Sure sounds like they will try and extend him - he wants to stay per Friedman. Don't really see why they would want Pearson unless it's in a swap with Tatar or Johnsson. There were several teams interested in Zacha.

Doubt the Wild have any interest in Boeser + they can't afford him.  The Wild will be looking for picks and prospects for Fiala.  Friedman talks here how it would require major surgery to bring Fiala back given their cap situation so it's near impossible to pull off so it looks like they will be forced to trade him.  Marek believes it will be a whopper of a deal.  Thinks it's a draft day trade for futures with close to no salary coming back.  

Definitely a good take on both situations.  I partially assumed that Severson's days were numbers, however if that is not the case then it may not fit as Myers is only worth it as a 2nd pair.  Pearson gives them some veteran insulation as they try and take a step, so if they are serious about it I would think he could be a fit.  I got the sense Zacha was on the way out without of ton of interest from teams.  We'll have to see how that plays out.

With Fiala, I assume it would be a couple million different between Boeser and Fiala on the contract which saves them a bit, plus nets them a pick.  If they are doing the full move away from the contract then he could be a fit cap wise if we move Miller, but don't have the expendable assets unless we move 15th overall for him.  That would only be palatable if Miller nets at least two cost controlled pieces.  That may not be a fit as you mention but it would be nice to upgrade Boeser with that level of speed/drive on the top line.

12 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Definitely a good take on both situations.  I partially assumed that Severson's days were numbers, however if that is not the case then it may not fit as Myers is only worth it as a 2nd pair.  Pearson gives them some veteran insulation as they try and take a step, so if they are serious about it I would think he could be a fit.  I got the sense Zacha was on the way out without of ton of interest from teams.  We'll have to see how that plays out.

With Fiala, I assume it would be a couple million different between Boeser and Fiala on the contract which saves them a bit, plus nets them a pick.  If they are doing the full move away from the contract then he could be a fit cap wise if we move Miller, but don't have the expendable assets unless we move 15th overall for him.  That would only be palatable if Miller nets at least two cost controlled pieces.  That may not be a fit as you mention but it would be nice to upgrade Boeser with that level of speed/drive on the top line.

There's been a few interested teams in Zacha per Marek - was before the TDL.  Zacha is RFA while Pearson is under contract.  Feels like a Pearson trade would be more of a hockey trade for somewhat equal cap the other way.  

Marek has now said several times it will be a whopper of a deal re Fiala.  On his show they were talking about how a team who wants to get to the next level needs to target him.  Lists so many teams - not sure if real interest or speculation.  He's also going to be expensive to extend.

• Thanks 1

Don't think VAN is getting Fiala. JR/PA really like Boeser and I think they're going to qualify him. I believe they're also going to re-sign Miller. Bruce is coming back, the band is getting back together, they need their lead singer! - JT Miller re-signs for less than expected.

Garland, Pearson and Myers are traded.

Kuzmenko signs

UFAs - (LW) Mikheyev

Draft Yurov or Mintyukov

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Now that we had a decent time to assess last year we can determine where we need to allow for growth and where we need to improve.  In some cases that means stepping back in a few places to add depth, and in others directly filling some specific needs.  Here is a quick rundown of some options to take that next step.  Nothing ground-breaking from what has been discussed before, however something that feels in the realm of being attainable if the management team is ready to move fast.  Typically unlikely to have this many moves, but they don’t seem too far fetched (Famous last words):

Trades:

To Van: Fiala

To Min: Boeser, 2023 2nd

Reason: Fiala adds to the up-tempo pace required for our offence, and Minny moves on from a player that likely doesn’t want to be back.  We add a 2nd to offset the value difference as Fiala has stepped up in value from what everyone has seen.

To Van: Schneider, Chytil

To NY: Miller

Reason: Schneider may be untouchable, but regardless, I have lowered the ask from what had been discussed to death.  Lowering the depth of ask may still allow for the quality of the ask. 

To Van: Zacha + 2022 3rd

To NJ: Myers, Pearson

Reason: Gives NJ the ready now players to give them a boost towards the playoffs for the same cap as what Subban was.  Canucks clear cap and acquire a 3C/W with large size who has the ability to do more.  Change of scenery type deal for both teams.  Highly likely that we may have to take some cap back, but NJ is in a position to use that cap to improve.

I believe Poolman and Dickinson have negative value at this point, so I would suggest to at least build that up a bit before moving them.  They can only move up from there.

Signings:

Sign Kuzmenko (Fits top 6 need, age group etc)

Sign Zadorov (Gives a pure stay at home D man to open up OEL to be more offensive.  Left shot but plays RD and likely will cost less vs last contract)

Sign Richardson (Depth only)

Podkolzin Pettersson Fiala

Kuzmenko Horvat Garland

Chytil Zacha Hoglander

Lammikko Dickenson Highmore

Extras: Lockwood, Richardson

Hughes Schneider

Ekman-Larsson Zadorov

Rathbone Poolman

Extras: Dermott – Schenn

Demko

Martin

It feels like these moves would create a more up-tempo pace at forward, and provide some defensive stability on D to allow the LD defenseman the ability to lead the rush.  I feel this also gives us a much stronger 3rd line with the ability for all three to move up in the lineup if they progress.  I didn't run the numbers but it feels like we also get some major cap flexibility to add where we need to.

I dont think Minny does the Boeser deal, Fiala had a career year, Boeser "looks" to be a player in regression (to the outside). Maybe if we included our 1st? Doesnt make sense though - We'd be selling low on Boeser, and buying high on Fiala. 

Braden Schneider is going to be a good D-man (top 4 most likely) but him and Chytil hardly seems worth it for Miller. NY fans are giving up on chytil, and he has not improved since he started in the NHL. 
If we're going to trade Miller, we ship him to NJ for their 1st round pick and pick Cooley + a defenseman in the 1st round with our two picks. 

I think the Zacha deal is doable.

Pass on Zadorov, he's not that good - he's getting a boost from playing on a great team, just like Gudbranson. We're going to be disappointed if we pick him up. 

IF we have a chance at Forsberg, then I'd say we try to trade Miller to NJ for their 1st round pick. Petey and Horvat become our 1 and 2c. We pick Cooley and Mateychuck in the draft. We'd also have to ship out Pearson and buy out Dickinson to make cap space for this move. 

Then ship out Myers (to Dallas who don't want to pay Klingberg 8m for 8 years), bring in Manson for 5m/year.

Sign Kuzmenko, and Linus Karlsson plays for us next year. Sign Tierney to be our 3C. 

Forsberg-Petey-Boeser
Garland-Bo-Podkolzin
Kuzmenko-Tierney-Karlsson
Hoglander-Lamikko-Highmore

OEL-Manson
Hughes-Schenn
Rathbone-Dermott

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

I dont think Minny does the Boeser deal, Fiala had a career year, Boeser "looks" to be a player in regression (to the outside). Maybe if we included our 1st? Doesnt make sense though - We'd be selling low on Boeser, and buying high on Fiala. 

Braden Schneider is going to be a good D-man (top 4 most likely) but him and Chytil hardly seems worth it for Miller. NY fans are giving up on chytil, and he has not improved since he started in the NHL. 
If we're going to trade Miller, we ship him to NJ for their 1st round pick and pick Cooley + a defenseman in the 1st round with our two picks. 

I think the Zacha deal is doable.

Pass on Zadorov, he's not that good - he's getting a boost from playing on a great team, just like Gudbranson. We're going to be disappointed if we pick him up. 

IF we have a chance at Forsberg, then I'd say we try to trade Miller to NJ for their 1st round pick. Petey and Horvat become our 1 and 2c. We pick Cooley and Mateychuck in the draft. We'd also have to ship out Pearson and buy out Dickinson to make cap space for this move. 

Then ship out Myers (to Dallas who don't want to pay Klingberg 8m for 8 years), bring in Manson for 5m/year.

Sign Kuzmenko, and Linus Karlsson plays for us next year. Sign Tierney to be our 3C. 

Forsberg-Petey-Boeser
Garland-Bo-Podkolzin
Kuzmenko-Tierney-Karlsson
Hoglander-Lamikko-Highmore

OEL-Manson
Hughes-Schenn
Rathbone-Dermott

I like the idea if we trade Miller for assets and then sign Forsberg to be Petey’s running mate.  Likely have to be careful with optics but would certainly net some important pieces and depth.  If Forsberg could be in the cards then Miller for Schneider and Chytil would be close to enough in my books.  I think Schneider is a top 4 RD lock and we need that badly.

2 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

There's no chance I'd do the Jersey deal if I'm in that organization.

What do people think it would take to get Jordan Greenway?

The GREEF line has been key to the Wild's success and the reason Guerin was such in a hurry to extend Greenway.  Evason talked about how the line lost of it's effectiveness without Greenway.  Hard to see any valid reason for them to trade him when they want to remain competitive.  

I like the idea but I worry Minny will want more for Fiala and they're quite constrained with their cap too. A 2nd might not be enough, they may want someone like Hoglander as well (gives them a cheap middle-6 forward they can work with).

Love the NYR Miller trade, I agree and think that Miller for Schneider + Chytil will be fair. Seems silly, a 100 point big top line center in his prime for a relatively unproven top young right handed defenceman and a skinny center, but they do talk really highly of Schneider so I doubt they'd add anymore to this trade (whereas a lot of us here want this plus a 1st), so think this would be fair from NYR's point of view.

Love the idea of getting Zacha but I think Miller has a lot of value still for us. I'd consider doing a straight up Garland for Zacha trade - very similar scoring, more or less just a shift of position.

I also really wanted Zadorov when he was a UFA previously, I wonder if Calgary have the cap to re-sign him because he's played a big role with them so far.

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I like the idea but I worry Minny will want more for Fiala and they're quite constrained with their cap too. A 2nd might not be enough, they may want someone like Hoglander as well (gives them a cheap middle-6 forward they can work with).

Love the NYR Miller trade, I agree and think that Miller for Schneider + Chytil will be fair. Seems silly, a 100 point big top line center in his prime for a relatively unproven top young right handed defenceman and a skinny center, but they do talk really highly of Schneider so I doubt they'd add anymore to this trade (whereas a lot of us here want this plus a 1st), so think this would be fair from NYR's point of view.

Love the idea of getting Zacha but I think Miller has a lot of value still for us. I'd consider doing a straight up Garland for Zacha trade - very similar scoring, more or less just a shift of position.

I also really wanted Zadorov when he was a UFA previously, I wonder if Calgary have the cap to re-sign him because he's played a big role with them so far.

I think you’re right that Fiala will not be possible for Boeser + 2nd. What I like is the uptempo pace he plays and added with Garland and Petey etc keeps us playing at a high pace.

I feel we need to turn our RD side into the defensive side so Hughes, OEL, and Rathbone can do their thing.  I like Myers but he seems to make OEL hang back so not an ideal fit.  Zadorov while being left handed, plays RD and along with Schenn, Poolman and Schneider should meet the need.

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I think you’re right that Fiala will not be possible for Boeser + 2nd. What I like is the uptempo pace he plays and added with Garland and Petey etc keeps us playing at a high pace.

I feel we need to turn our RD side into the defensive side so Hughes, OEL, and Rathbone can do their thing.  I like Myers but he seems to make OEL hang back so not an ideal fit.  Zadorov while being left handed, plays RD and along with Schenn, Poolman and Schneider should meet the need.

I think this is the easy way to mould our defence, the one concern is the PK. We only really have OEL on the left side then. Dermott can play the left, I wonder if Zadorov or Schneider can too, at least on the PK, or surely Schenn can, otherwise we're 1 OEL penalty away from a disaster.

The other way to flip all of this is to trade Miller to NYR for Schneider + Lundqist and sign our 3C (one of Tierney, Paul, Jarnkrok or Janmark - lots of good ones available who are all better defensively than Chytil). Lunqvist probably isn't NHL top 4 ready just yet but will hopefully be in a year's time and gives us a puck mover on the right who could even pair well with OEL?

Fiala was non-existent in the playoffs. I'd be looking for the Wild to add, not us. Either way, with their cap misery, no deal would be possible around Brock.

Miller could garner far more in a trade than Schneider and Chytil, so let's explore those better options before settling for a mediocre return.

Neither Myers nor Pearson fill a need NJD have. I'd be happy with Zacha on this team but that's not a package that gets him.

On 5/15/2022 at 3:32 AM, Azzy said:

Fiala was non-existent in the playoffs. I'd be looking for the Wild to add, not us. Either way, with their cap misery, no deal would be possible around Brock.

Miller could garner far more in a trade than Schneider and Chytil, so let's explore those better options before settling for a mediocre return.

Neither Myers nor Pearson fill a need NJD have. I'd be happy with Zacha on this team but that's not a package that gets him.

He was non-existent, but he is the type of player that that has the drive for the playoffs, so I think it's still a fit.  Somewhat irrelevant as you and many posters have said, that the cap wouldn't work for Brock as a swap.

I wouldn't consider Schneider mediocre, as he is exactly what we need and as an ELC gives us cap flexibility to add.  Chytil has stalled a bit, however is likely a .5 PPG large 3C as a floor.  Essentially this ends up being Miller for Schneider + Chytil + 1/2 UFAs which I think it worth it.