The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kings sign GM Rob Blake to contract extension

Rate this topic

He's doing a good job with that Kings team, well deserved. They've got some things to figure out as Kopitar probably won't be around much longer, but they've got some great youth and a good mix of quality players on that roster. 

29 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

First order of business for Blake - trade Clarke for Miller. 

I really like them as a trade partner, they could easily fit him in with an extension. Kopitar won't be around forever and Miller's extension would kick in as Quick's 5.8M deal expires. They've got plenty of quality youth to trade. 

You won't get Byfield, but Clarke and one of their young forwards+ would be a good get. They've got plenty of young center's between Byfield, Turcotte, and Vilardi but none of them are close to stepping into the Kopitar spot. They've got Helenius as a 6'6" center picked in the 2nd round last year too, but I don't know anything about him. 

Works out too because young center's and RD are areas JR wants to target going forward. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

Sucks to see Blake doing well in LA, Sakic killing it in Col, Yzerman building a championship roster in TB and now retooling Detroit, Neely having a hand in guiding Boston and Linden getting the shaft in Vancouver.

Thanks Dumbo, I mean Jimbo.

• Cheers 3

30 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Sucks to see Blake doing well in LA, Sakic killing it in Col, Yzerman building a championship roster in TB and now retooling Detroit, Neely having a hand in guiding Boston and Linden getting the shaft in Vancouver.

Thanks Dumbo, I mean Jimbo.

The Aquas could have backed up Linden.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The Aquas could have backed up Linden.

It's a damn shame, what's worse is Linden's had almost absolutely nothing to do with anything Canuck since. It was what.. the twins jersey retirement and that's it? 

I know he's a father now and he invests most of his time into his family and his business ventures, but his not being a presence as such a franchise icon is a notable void. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

It's a damn shame, what's worse is Linden's had almost absolutely nothing to do with anything Canuck since. It was what.. the twins jersey retirement and that's it? 

I know he's a father now and he invests most of his time into his family and his business ventures, but his not being a presence as such a franchise icon is a notable void. 

Hmm well I think Linden also just wanted to move on from the exec role. Tried it out and decided maybe its just best to close the hockey chapter in his life (who knows, he could return). Just because he's an icon doesn't mean he needs to stick to hockey and work for the franchise he played so hard for. There's a lot of pressure in this market (sometimes too much) and no one knows more than he does.

The scrutiny and the blame in a Canadian hockey market is a guarantee and you aren't immune even if you are a legend for the team, when they aren't playing well. 

Plus like you mention, he has his fitness franchise and other businesses he manages. 

I for one like the fact that he sort of decided to ride off into the sunset.

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson

As much as I hate the Kings, I have to respect their rebuild process. These guys did it right while JB ran it like a blind monkey. We’ve muddled around for far too many wasted years. We should be as good as Colorado right now. 

21 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I really like them as a trade partner, they could easily fit him in with an extension. Kopitar won't be around forever and Miller's extension would kick in as Quick's 5.8M deal expires. They've got plenty of quality youth to trade. 

You won't get Byfield, but Clarke and one of their young forwards+ would be a good get. They've got plenty of young center's between Byfield, Turcotte, and Vilardi but none of them are close to stepping into the Kopitar spot. They've got Helenius as a 6'6" center picked in the 2nd round last year too, but I don't know anything about him. 

Works out too because young center's and RD are areas JR wants to target going forward. 

If there were a chance for the Nucks to pick up Clarke, I'd want the management to do everything possible to make that

trade happen.  Unfortunately, Brandt looks like he'll be a #1 RD and will be ready for the NHL within the next couple of years

so I don't think LA would trade him. With Poughty on board for 5yrs, Sean Durzi, Matt Roy and a host of RD prospects, they

really could trade one of the other RDs and hardly feel it.

Even if our team could acquire Clarke, I think it would be straight up for Miller.  At the moment, Byfield is their guy and Vilardi

is trending towards the bust area.  Still, he's a big physical guy and they have a group of smaller C's in their prospect pool.

Of the remaining Cs, I really like Trucotte; although he is 5'11" he is pushing 200lbs and he oozes skill. IQ, elite skating,

play making C, great passer and hard to knock off the puck.

If they take one of the other RD (personally like Matt Roy; he would be a perfect partner for Quinn), but they have lots of

other younger players that might be available; most of them being offensive dmen.

JT Miller for  Roy, Turcotte and Grundstrom.  Roy gives the Canucks time to develop a prospect they pick up in the draft

or in another trade.  LA also need a top 6 RW.;)

What a scouting department the LA Kings have put together.  Hats off to them.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

If there were a chance for the Nucks to pick up Clarke, I'd want the management to do everything possible to make that

trade happen.  Unfortunately, Brandt looks like he'll be a #1 RD and will be ready for the NHL within the next couple of years

so I don't think LA would trade him. With Poughty on board for 5yrs, Sean Durzi, Matt Roy and a host of RD prospects, they

really could trade one of the other RDs and hardly feel it.

Even if our team could acquire Clarke, I think it would be straight up for Miller.  At the moment, Byfield is their guy and Vilardi

is trending towards the bust area.  Still, he's a big physical guy and they have a group of smaller C's in their prospect pool.

Of the remaining Cs, I really like Trucotte; although he is 5'11" he is pushing 200lbs and he oozes skill. IQ, elite skating,

play making C, great passer and hard to knock off the puck.

If they take one of the other RD (personally like Matt Roy; he would be a perfect partner for Quinn), but they have lots of

other younger players that might be available; most of them being offensive dmen.

JT Miller for  Roy, Turcotte and Grundstrom.  Roy gives the Canucks time to develop a prospect they pick up in the draft

or in another trade.  LA also need a top 6 RW.;)

What a scouting department the LA Kings have put together.  Hats off to them.

Getting Clarke would be huge, I'd love to grab em. I don't think it'd be straight up as he's unproven, but I dunno? I think Turcotte is def worth acquiring, he's still young enough to become something. 

LA has oodles of prospects though, I envy them. 

• Cheers 1