To Pittsburgh

Garland

Poolman (or Dermott)

2023 Van 3rd

To Van

Marino

Kapanen

Why for Pittsburgh?

Marino is apparently not viewed as highly by current Pitts Mgmt as he was by Rutherford and is paid 4.4

Poolman is cheaper, RD, as is Dermott who can play both sides

Garland is self explanatory. Brings some added punch to that team and his style is a good fit

Why for Us?

RD, cost controlled, clearly liked by Rutherford, and would be a good piece to fit in to our group age wise.

Should allow us to move Myers

Kappanen brings us the speed we lose from Garland, bigger, some offensive upside (albeit inconsistent) but an excellent PK'er and can play a second PP. He is also not seen as a core piece in pittsburgh and has been rumoured for a while to be on the trading block.

I see this as a not a blockbuster deal, but a hockey trade that can improve both team's deficiencies and position us for other moves.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

Not trying to poopoo on your proposal but:

I think Dermott is a great/cost effective add for the Canucks. I would be very hesitant to move him.  

Garland / Kappanen swap Im not sure improves the Canucks.  Faster for sure, but Garland is definitely a more offensive player and plays with a good pace to be effective.  

Word is Marino’s play is decreasing.  I havnt been watching PIT that closely so Ill abstain from any bold opinions on him, hut something Id look at closely before trading for him.  

I do think Kappanen is worth targeting though for his PK ability, especially if we lose Miller.  Would look good on the Canucks third line.  

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

Not trying to poopoo on your proposal but:

I think Dermott is a great/cost effective add for the Canucks. I would be very hesitant to move him.  

Garland / Kappanen swap Im not sure improves the Canucks.  Faster for sure, but Garland is definitely a more offensive player and plays with a good pace to be effective.  

Word is Marino’s play is decreasing.  I havnt been watching PIT that closely so Ill abstain from any bold opinions on him, hut something Id look at closely before trading for him.  

I do think Kappanen is worth targeting though for his PK ability, especially if we lose Miller.  Would look good on the Canucks third line.  

I think the swap of Garland/ Kappanen is two fold

One, its to improve our team D, which is needed, and size. I really like Garland but think Kapanen is a better fit assuming we keep Boeser, and assuming that Podz moves up the roster. We have a hole on line 3 for a player that can contribute from that spot. Garland seems to have to be with top end players to be performing. Love him but I think he's expendible to improve other areas. Perhaps it should be for a 3c, but I do think he's someone who can be offered to help us fill voids.

He's also part of the incentive to get Marino. I also have read as you mentioned, so maybe we can actually get him on the cheap, which would be great. But assuming we can't, part of Garland is really paying for Marino.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, NucknAsia said:

Proposal

To Pittsburgh

Garland

Poolman (or Dermott)

2023 Van 3rd

To Van

Marino

Kapanen

Why for Pittsburgh?

Marino is apparently not viewed as highly by current Pitts Mgmt as he was by Rutherford and is paid 4.4

Poolman is cheaper, RD, as is Dermott who can play both sides

Garland is self explanatory. Brings some added punch to that team and his style is a good fit

Why for Us?

RD, cost controlled, clearly liked by Rutherford, and would be a good piece to fit in to our group age wise.

Should allow us to move Myers

Kappanen brings us the speed we lose from Garland, bigger, some offensive upside (albeit inconsistent) but an excellent PK'er and can play a second PP. He is also not seen as a core piece in pittsburgh and has been rumoured for a while to be on the trading block.

I see this as a not a blockbuster deal, but a hockey trade that can improve both team's deficiencies and position us for other moves.

Love this idea.  This is exactly what (imhao) JR is looking to do.  Although I think it will be Garland and Myers for Marino and Kapanen.  

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

I'd be happy with that. Frees up Meyer's cap.

Is that about 12 mil out and about 7 (depending on how much we sign Kap for) in?  

We are pretty much the same team and save 5 mil on the cap.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is that about 12 mil out and about 7 (depending on how much we sign Kap for) in?  

We are pretty much the same team and save 5 mil on the cap.  

Marino is 4.4 mil

Kapanen is 3.2 right now but an RFA. Can't see him getting much more as he's been inconsistent but lets say 4 mil aav

total 8.4 mil aav

Myers is 6 mil aav

Garland is 4.95 mil aav

total is 10.95 

So we save about 2.5 mil 

Not as much but still a savings. If we can find a way to move out Dickenson, Poolman, we will be in a solid position cap wise

• Cheers 1

Na I'm not super high on Marino and Garland is far better than Kap. 

Where does Marino even fit. Next to OEL maybe???? It's kinda lateral I like Myers I think we should be planning succession when Myers contract expires. Unless we are getting a far and away better player on the right for now I'm ok with our D it's the future that worries me. 

I think most importantly we need to get OEL Myers more O zone time. OEL gets his shot through we need him doing more of that. 

We need a shut down pair add a Ryan Graves, Andrew Peekie something along those lines. 

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Na I'm not super high on Marino and Garland is far better than Kap. 

Where does Marino even fit. Next to OEL maybe???? It's kinda lateral I like Myers I think we should be planning succession when Myers contract expires. Unless we are getting a far and away better player on the right for now I'm ok with our D it's the future that worries me. 

I think most importantly we need to get OEL Myers more O zone time. OEL gets his shot through we need him doing more of that. 

We need a shut down pair add a Ryan Graves, Andrew Peekie something along those lines. 

Myers is 32

Marino is 25

which one is the better age to play with Hughes for the next five years?  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Myers, we know lacks the smarts to play top line minutes.  Why Marino though?  

No shot. No physicality, mediocre defensively. Marino is a decent #4 so is Myers. 

Myers makes some mistakes sure but it seems like fans are lazer focused on hating him. He also makes a ton of great plays that never get talked about because well nothing happened. He is a far better player than he gets cred for on this board because he's 32 and dumped a puck that one time in OT or whatever other chaos giraffe moment. Realistically 90% of the time he's doing positive things on the ice. OEL Myers were one of the leagues best pairings 5v5. I don't think people properly understand the void that will be created moving Myers. You don't fill those shoes with Marino. 

13 minutes ago, hammertime said:

No shot. No physicality, mediocre defensively. Marino is a decent #4 so is Myers. 

Myers makes some mistakes sure but it seems like fans are lazer focused on hating him. He also makes a ton of great plays that never get talked about because well nothing happened. He is a far better player than he gets cred for on this board because he's 32 and dumped a puck that one time in OT or whatever other chaos giraffe moment. Realistically 90% of the time he's doing positive things on the ice. OEL Myers were one of the leagues best pairings 5v5. I don't think people properly understand the void that will be created moving Myers. You don't fill those shoes with Marino. 

Myers is a decent 5/6.  Marino is actually a very smart player, and would be a perfect fit with Quinn 5 on 5.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Myers is a decent 5/6.  Marino is actually a very smart player, and would be a perfect fit with Quinn 5 on 5.  

When we were kids we called dumb people “dough heads”.  Myers is 100% a “dough head”.  

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Myers is a decent #4 RD playing against other teams best players?? Come on give the guy some credit he plays up to 23 mins tough minutes and look at team around him??? You put Myers on a top 10 team look out.. He would fit great with Pittsburgh being #4 guy...