[Proposal] Miller to CBJ

50 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

To CBJ

Miller

To Van
12th overall

Bemstrom

Peeke/Boqvist

We get a low cost young right handed centre, right handed dman, and a mid first round pick. Rounding out our roster, building for the future, and saving cap. 

This trade would be super fantastic.  

We pick 12 and 15 then too.  And add Boquist, who I very much like.  He’s, I think, going to be a fantastic player.  Love to steal him away.  

• Cheers 2

Columbus isn’t moving Sillinger in a trade for Miller and they’re probably a hard no on Johnson too but they still have enough pieces to make a real intriguing offer. Peeke is a piece the Canucks should be bullish on in a potential Miller return. Peeke, Texier, 12 OA and then one of a 2nd in ‘23/Marchenko/Chinakhov would be a real nice return for Miller with 50% retained

55 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I agree we need top pieces coming back, but it's gotta work for other teams too. This is part of why I think Jersey could be a better trade partner, they've already had a glut of high picks as of late. Now they'll be trying to take steps forward, I'd put Columbus a ways behind them.

Not sure what you mean by "not working for other teams".

Actually in response to your first comment, I wanted to add that (given how CBJ likely needs a top C after getting a bunch of young wingers) it's tough to deem it as "not working" if they get the best player, at the expense of a younger guy with upside but who only put up 30 points so far.  Kekalainen showed before that he isn't afraid of going in when possible (e.g. when they got Bob, Duchene, etc.) and adding that #1 could jumpstart their timeline toward possible contention, vs. their repeated cycle of mediocrity, building and repeat.  Of course Jersey has the assets to make the move, but a team's gotta start somewhere when it comes to accruing core pieces, so why can't JT be that hometown boy leading the charge?

Edited by Phil_314

I keep on looking at the NHL playoffs, I look at Tampa, and Colorado, and see complete teams, that are deep in all positions, despite injuries. then I look at Edmonton and the Rangers, and see teams with 1 or 2 pieces missing, all 4 teams are deep with veterans, but more importantly, Colorado and Tampa are complete in goal and on defense, we are not even close to having that depth, and it will take 2 or 3 years to have that depth, as we are handcuffed by cap, and expanding core player salaries.

To me, we have been teased, prematurely, and that is why, JR was brought in. It is not that we could not be a top 12 team, it would be just difficult believing we could be a top 8 team, especially when the playoffs start, and the intensity gears up.

This is why the trades, need to happen, to fill in the holes between Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, Podkolzin, Hoglander, and Demko. Miller and Myers are great players, and compete hard, but where will they be in 3 years, in terms of decline. Horvat and Garland will still be competitive age wise, and would be solid pieces with the ability to give veteran contributions. But that is about it, in terms of of current players. I have purposely omitted OEL, as his contract makes it somewhat immoveable IMHO.

So it is Miller and Myers that should be considered being moved..........So in terms of this thread, the poster is right with his premise to move Miller (Regrettably!) Myers is a neutral cap dump, or a minimal cap dump, as RHD are hard to find.

So, yes....

- Miller to Columbus for Tessier (roster player), Ceulemans (Prospect) and 2022-1st (12 OA) would be a solid deal

or

- Miller to LA for Roy, Faber, and 2022-1st (19th OA) would be another solid deal, but he would be in our division, which is something we would have to consider

or

- Miller  and 2022 (15th OA) to NJ for Severson and 2022-1st 2 OA

5 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Not sure what you mean by "not working for other teams".

Actually in response to your first comment, I wanted to add that (given how CBJ likely needs a top C after getting a bunch of young wingers) it's tough to deem it as "not working" if they get the best player, at the expense of a younger guy with upside but who only put up 30 points so far.  Kekalainen showed before that he isn't afraid of going in when possible (e.g. when they got Bob, Duchene, etc.) and adding that #1 could jumpstart their timeline toward possible contention, vs. their repeated cycle of mediocrity, building and repeat.  Of course Jersey has the assets to make the move, but a team's gotta start somewhere when it comes to accruing core pieces, so why can't JT be that hometown boy leading the charge?

It's gotta work for other teams regarding what they're willing to give up and where they're at in their cycle. Miller's a nice piece, certainly, and he'll cost because of that. But there's a lot that goes into making trades and each team will have to figure out what they're not willing to move. In Columbus's case they're likely closer to a legitimate rebuild or retool than being legitimately competitive, which is why they're better off keeping players like Sillinger. Adding Miller could put them further along, but he likely just helps them be competitive as opposed to anything resembling a contender. Miller could be a core guy for that team but it's just not something I'd bet on, Columbus is even less far along than we are and I've been advocating trading Miller for months. 

Columbus has some nice pieces that I'd be interested in but I question whether they should be in on a player like Miller at this point in their cycle. Jersey on the other hand has top youth in place on the roster already and some good pieces on D. If they can bring in a legitimate starter and some higher end vets they could be something sooner than later, which is why I see them as a likelier landing spot for Miller. They're a young team that should be on the rise soon, I wouldn't say that about Columbus. Even with Miller they're likely a middle of the pack team out East at best imo, but hey.. maybe you're right and they think they can fast-track something. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

On 6/9/2022 at 2:30 PM, qwijibo said:

Maybe I’m out to lunch. But I just don’t see why Columbus gives up that many cost controlled high quality young assists for a 29 year old pending UFA.  

Look at what Montreal got for Pacioretty. (Didn’t have the couple great seasons but was a consistent 35-40 goal scorer). 

they got who was regarded as Vegas’s 3rd best prospect at the time (Suzuki). A 2nd and a useful player who was essentially a cap dump in the deal (Tatar) 

I think your right with the trade but wrong with the prospect.   Suzuki was their best prospect at the time (or second - depending on whom made the list - but still their near their top guy)...  But i do agree that's about what we can hope for in a Miller trade.   What is funny about this is check out what they traded for Tatar in the first place.   

Edited by IBatch