The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Major Changes Coming, Country Club Atmosphere ~ Shannon and Kypreos

32 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

As for the Laffs: there current front office (Dubas) are heavily involved in analytics and the intangibles that Kadri offered in spades cannot be measured accurately using analytics - only a GM, that values such things or has a pedigree, of winning (championship) can recognize that there is more to roster building, than ONLY/MAINLY using & relying on analytics.  So good chance, Kadri was traded cause they taught he easily be replaced.

Tampa is "heavily involved in analytics" FYI. They may very well be on their way to a third cup in three years.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Tampa is "heavily involved in analytics" FYI. They may very well be on their way to a third cup in three years.

Tampa is heavily involved in having Hedman and Vasileski making whatever they do look good.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

I'd be very happy with:

- Kuzmenko signing

- a surprise at the Draft where the Canucks make a splash (move up and/or big trade for another 1st+)

- a UFA for the Top 6 who can produce

- a true Top 4D

probably asking too much 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

How about we do major changes?

Miller + Demko for Draisatl 

or

Miller + Demko for Marner

or

Miller + Demko to the Avs for Byram + + + 

id imagine these teams that are in the heart of their winning windows (who don’t have a franchise goalie) would pay a lot for our guy.  Add in Miller and we could return another superstar level player to go with Petey.

If the Canucks were able to get Byram+++, I'd really consider trading Hughes to Jersey for a haul including the 2nd OA pick to pick Nemec/Cooley/Jiricek.

Would be able to bring in roster players, picks, and prospects. Would be a good start to the retool/mini rebuild.

Remember this is the big changes thread.

• Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It always comes to down to the person using it and I did say: someone with a championship pedigree.  Also, every team is using there version of analytics - heck, even Green was said, to be a big believer of analytics (based on what, I heard on the radio)  It is obvious, from Yzerman to Brisebois that there is a transition plan within there front office, to mitigate any losses in there ranks.  Did you listen to JRs' last interview with Donnie & Dhali, about his opinion on analytics ?  If not give it a go; and I agree, with him that analytics can be a useful tool, to confirm a decision; but some team, seems to had gone full in.  Good chance, there are examples of teams that are on the opposite sides of the standings AND THERE IS REALLY NO WAY TO CONFIRM HOW TAMPA, IS USING ANALYTICS AND/OR TO WHAT DEGREE.  I also do understand that analytics, is here to stay - for now.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

3 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

It always comes to down to the person using it and I did say: someone with a championship pedigree.  It is obvious, from Yzerman to Brisebois that there is a transition plan within there front office, to mitigate any losses in there ranks.  Did you listen to JRs' last interview with Donnie & Dhali, about his opinion on analytics ?  If not give it a go; and I agree, with him that analytics can be a useful tool but some team, seems to had gone full in.  Good chance, there are examples of teams that are on opposite sides of the standings.   

Sure there's always a matter of the quality of analytics, who's deciphering them and what you're doing with that information etc. But there are just as many good teams like Carolina, Colorado, Tampa etc "heavily involved" in them as there are Arizonas or the Toronto First Round Exits.

Point being, analytics themselves aren't the "problem" (any more than they're an outright "solution").

20 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'd be very happy with:

- Kuzmenko signing

- a surprise at the Draft where the Canucks make a splash (move up and/or big trade for another 1st+)

- a UFA for the Top 6 who can produce

- a true Top 4D

probably asking too much 

yes yes you are.....this is the Canucks after all....

mired in middling for eternity

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sure there's always a matter of the quality of analytics, who's deciphering them and what you're doing with that information etc. But there are just as many good teams like Carolina, Colorado, Tampa etc "heavily involved" in them as there are Arizonas or the Toronto First Round Exits.

Point being, analytics themselves aren't the "problem" (any more than they're an outright "solution").

Every team is using there (own) version of analytics - now.  Even JR said, in his last interview that he was using a VERSION OF IT, decades ago.  Like I said, it still comes down to the person using the tool and I still consider it, as nothing but a tool, whilst, to some it is the answer to everything.   

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

If the Canucks were able to get Byram+++, I'd really consider trading Hughes to Jersey for a haul including the 2nd OA pick to pick Nemec/Cooley/Jiricek.

Would be able to bring in roster players, picks, and prospects. Would be a good start to the retool/mini rebuild.

Remember this is the big changes thread.

I was a very vocal supporter of Byram for Miller a few months ago when that was rumored. Bunch of people jumped on me about it saying he likely wouldn't play again at a high level. I really wish my fantasy came true back then and traded for him when his value might have been lower. Guy is an unreal talent.

I think people keep thinking moving on from a player means a net lose, which is not the case unless the player walks, and then even if he does, who you sign to replace him, makes it a lesser loss, and in some cases, the player coming in can actually fill in a more important roll.

In the case of a trade like Horvat or Miller, where you are going to get very good assts back, and where you again, can use the extra cap to sign another quality player.............

I think all to often we get focused on the personality and not the results.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Data is always useful and helpful, but as you suggest its about the quality of the data, its interpretation, and the question that is seldom asked, its applicability and thus usefuleness. We get alot of basic information on free websites, I am certain this is very simple information that teams probably don't even use (corsi for / against etc). 

Some information, ie how many high quality chances within 'home plate' could be extremely beneficial for teams to better understand how effective their team defense is. Specifics on % of shots that go in on goalies from certain distances and where he's strong or weak etc.

But where I think  where analytics gets a bit hokey is where you're trying to assess individual players on the ice with 4 others at the same time, and 5 others on the other side.

If you look at the free data out there, its a gross oversimplification of a very complex game with multiple interactions with multiple players on any given shift.

The attempt to take what is effectively a one on one sport (baseball) ie pitcher vs batter and emulate that in a team sport has become nothing other than a boon for people who like stats and want to get in the game. You've got too many variables and cannot control for them all. And many fans (and some GM's ie Chayka) believed you can win a cup by solving stats puzzles...its not the case.

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Cheers 1

I said this in another thread but I'll say it here too: I'll believe it when I see it.

It's one thing to want to make drastic changes. It's a completely different thing to perform on that. It's also very much a thing for the media to blow things out of proportion and I typically believe the media as much as I believe my neighbour's flat earth claims (edit: well maybe a little more than the neighbour but hopefully you get my drift lol)....

Edited by The Lock

4 minutes ago, Nucklefuts said:

This thread is exposing some toxic "fans" lol

Frustrated with seeing their team (and no backup teams like so many younger fans seem to have) being ruined by incompetent people like Benning, and hopeful a group led by JR (not Ewing) can bring us back to the Gillis golden years of greatness.  

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I was a very vocal supporter of Byram for Miller a few months ago when that was rumored. Bunch of people jumped on me about it saying he likely wouldn't play again at a high level. I really wish my fantasy came true back then and traded for him when his value might have been lower. Guy is an unreal talent.

He's looking really good in the playoffs too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Umm, the concerns came from Byram's own fatherhttps://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/report-avalanches-byram-told-father-cant-play-feel-like/ .