The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Wild trade Kevin Fiala to Kings for Brock Faber, 2022 1st-round pick

9 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

You need to calm down mate we are just talking about the same team we love.

I have made no comments about what will happen next year or what other teams have done with their draft picks.

What I will say is many teams have done a better job of drafting and developing players than we have in the last decade, and that is reflected by the success of those teams.

With the right moves, trades and what picks we might/ can acquire, I certainly believe we can become a serious contender with this core, Petterson, Hughes Demko and Podz in the next four years.

Good. Excellent in fact.

The worst part of our drafting, is that this may be the best drafting done in franchise history in terms of 1st rounders. 

The bar wasn’t that high outside of the Sedins and Linden.

• Cheers 1

Kings are doing their thing and have a nice prospect pool but they’re also not a young team by any means, at least based on their best performers last season.  

A lot of guys who would make Canucks fans pucker their butts due to incoming “age related regression” (Kopitar, Arvidsson, Doughty, Danault, Quick) carried/played significant roles for them last year but of course to some in Canucks land they’re a model rebuild and totally justified spending 1sts and blue chip prospects.

Just as a side note Miller is younger than all those guys I listed besides Arvidsson who is a month younger and outscored them all by 30+ points.  Not really going anywhere by  mentioning that, just found it interesting.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, KirkSave said:

The only thing that might be a weakness for them heading into next year would be their goaltending at this point. Quick is not what he used to be and Petersen was slated for the number 1 job last year but was unable to take the reigns. If Blake can somehow acquire or upgrade their goaltending, they will be a very difficult 2 points night in and night out.

Goaltending upgrading will be a bloodbath this summer.  10 or so teams looking to upgrade their goaltending and only a few good goalies to go around.  

I think they're stuck with Quick (5.8 mil) and Cal Petersen (3 years x 5 mil). 

I think Minny got fleeced here, a point-per-game young forward for just a mid-round 1st and a good 19 year old defenceman prospect who was drafted in the high 2nd round and has probably bumped his value up to a mid-to-late 1st. So basically two mid 1st round picks for a PPG scoring winger.

Minny take a big step back now, not sure why they do this unless they have more plans, maybe they've given up on contending against the Avs for this generation? They were surprisingly good last year but with this move tell us they want to fold for now and rebuild a little bit in around 3-5 years time.

LA on the other-hand become a real force. This is the one thing they were lacking, a young scoring forward to play alongside Kempe and Byfield. Their veterans will get slower and worse, sure (Edler, Kopitar etc.) but they've got a lot of good young players (especially defencemen) who are only going to get better and better next year. I thought they were pretty average last year, probably the worst team in the playoffs, but now they're showing they're ready to fight for the Pacific spot again which is a scary thought and everyone will have to take them seriously. Feel bad for Kaprizov here.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Kings are doing their thing and have a nice prospect pool but they’re also not a young team by any means, at least based on their best performers last season.  

A lot of guys who would make Canucks fans pucker their butts due to incoming “age related regression” (Kopitar, Arvidsson, Doughty, Danault, Quick) carried/played significant roles for them last year but of course to some in Canucks land they’re a model rebuild and totally justified spending 1sts and blue chip prospects.

Just as a side note Miller is younger than all those guys I listed besides Arvidsson who is a month younger and outscored them all by 30+ points.  Not really going anywhere by  mentioning that, just found it interesting.

I did a quick calculation when the season ended and basically just multiplied minutes played by the age of the player on LA and Vancouver, and then divided by the total number of minutes just to get the average age of each team adjusted for how many minutes they play on their team. 

LA's average age for last season was a low 27 while Canucks' average age was a slightly higher 27...  I wish I kept those spreadsheets.  

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Minny take a big step back now, not sure why they do this unless they have more plans, maybe they've given up on contending against the Avs for this generation? They were surprisingly good last year but with this move tell us they want to fold for now and rebuild a little bit in around 3-5 years time.

They had no choice...  

This is their dead cap:  

2022-23 12.7 mil 

2023-24 14.7 mil 

2024-25 14.7 mil 

3 more years of 1.7 mil after that...  

Frustrated World Cup GIF

31 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

They had no choice...  

This is their dead cap:  

2022-23 12.7 mil 

2023-24 14.7 mil 

2024-25 14.7 mil 

3 more years of 1.7 mil after that...  

Frustrated World Cup GIF

We complain about bad contracts here but I remember when Parise and Suter signed those mega-deals, no way they are good for an organization. That's basically 2 star players off your roster.

Still, Fiala is a big loss, you've got to wonder if they tried to free up some cap space by trying to move Zuccarello. If I were the wild I'd try to dump Zuc and someone like Kulikov somewhere to free up cap but maybe they've just decided they'll tank while that dead cap is on board...

5 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Goaltending upgrading will be a bloodbath this summer.  10 or so teams looking to upgrade their goaltending and only a few good goalies to go around.  

I think they're stuck with Quick (5.8 mil) and Cal Petersen (3 years x 5 mil). 

Then that is good for us, unless one or both have bounce back seasons.

13 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I did a quick calculation when the season ended and basically just multiplied minutes played by the age of the player on LA and Vancouver, and then divided by the total number of minutes just to get the average age of each team adjusted for how many minutes they play on their team. 

LA's average age for last season was a low 27 while Canucks' average age was a slightly higher 27...  I wish I kept those spreadsheets.  

That’s somehow both surprising but kind of not considering iirc most teams are about 27 years old on average.

The Kings must have some really young guys playing minutes alongside the older guys I mentioned who scored most of the points last year.  (Plus Quick!)