The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Wild trade Kevin Fiala to Kings for Brock Faber, 2022 1st-round pick

50 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

He's done an outstanding job in LA. I know we don't like the Kings around here, but he has actually been able to rebuild that team in only a few seasons. They don't have that MacKinnon or Makar level player though.

But I agree, Fiala is a fantastic pickup. They're a MUCH better team now because of this move.

They probably don't get a Makar out of what they've got, almost nobody has one, but I do think Byfield has massive upside. He's got the size, the pedigree, the tools, and he'll only be 20 in August. 

Whether he puts it all together and becomes a star is anyone's guess, but I think he'll be a stud. 

Kings have done a great job though, they're likely to be a team on the rise sooner than later even with Quick and Kopitar in their twilight years. Anaheim's really embraced their rebuild too, could see them turning it around sooner than later as well. 

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, D-Money said:

They can't actually sign anything with him until July 13th (free agency day).

And even then, there's no guarantee that he will want to extend for what they may want to pay.

Fair, but I do think an extension will be all but done if a team trades for him

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They probably don't get a Makar out of what they've got, almost nobody has one, but I do think Byfield has massive upside. He's got the size, the pedigree, the tools, and he'll only be 20 in August. 

Whether he puts it all together and becomes a star is anyone's guess, but I think he'll be a stud. 

Kings have done a great job though, they're likely to be a team on the rise sooner than later even with Quick and Kopitar in their twilight years. Anaheim's really embraced their rebuild too, could see them turning it around sooner than later as well. 

Oh yea Kings and Ducks have the potential to lap Van soon.

• Cheers 1

Kings got better, so with VGK, EDM, CGY, LA all looking to get in next year, what will the Canucks do?

Do they try to keep pace in the Pacific and decide to keep Miller? Then, if they're out by the TDL, trade him? Seems risky. 

Possible there could be a trade with MIN (Boeser), now that Fiala is gone.

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

Oh yea Kings and Ducks have the potential to lap Van soon.

They're doing great work 

Maybe it rubs some the wrong way but I've no issue giving credit to other teams and their players when it's due 

I am optimistic regarding our new management though, I think they'll gradually turn this ship around

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

They're doing great work 

Maybe it rubs some the wrong way but I've no issue giving credit to other teams and their players when it's due 

I am optimistic regarding our new management though, I think they'll gradually turn this ship around

Oh yea I love hockey and the strategy number 1. Canucks are my favorite team but I am a huge hockey fan no problem acknowledging a job well done.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Kings got better, so with VGK, EDM, CGY, LA all looking to get in next year, what will the Canucks do?

Do they try to keep pace in the Pacific and decide to keep Miller? Then, if they're out by the TDL, trade him? Seems risky. 

Possible there could be a trade with MIN (Boeser), now that Fiala is gone.

The Wild don't have cap space and aren't looking to tear down their roster.  Guerin explaining why he made the trade:

"Yeah I did," Guerin said. "He had 85 points. The kid had a great year. We don't have [NHL salary] cap space. Honestly, to keep him we'd have to trade three guys or two guys and deplete our team more. Then the following year we're going to need even more. It just didn't fit.

"We've been down the road a couple times with Kevin already. Hey look, he had a great year and we knew we just were not going to be able to do it. We knew that, they knew that. There's no sense in just trying to [mess] around and try to fit this and fit that and give them a lowball deal. It's not going to work. We knew we were going to have to move him.

"We need younger guys. We need guys that don't make millions and millions of dollars. We just have to do it that way. And I think for long term success as well we have to keep adding to our prospect pool."

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

He's done an outstanding job in LA. I know we don't like the Kings around here, but he has actually been able to rebuild that team in only a few seasons. They don't have that MacKinnon or Makar level player though.

But I agree, Fiala is a fantastic pickup. They're a MUCH better team now because of this move.

The only thing that might be a weakness for them heading into next year would be their goaltending at this point. Quick is not what he used to be and Petersen was slated for the number 1 job last year but was unable to take the reigns. If Blake can somehow acquire or upgrade their goaltending, they will be a very difficult 2 points night in and night out.

Edited by KirkSave

36 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Hell no.  Give our local rivals a good goalie prospect for a late first rounder?!!!

Correction: Hell YEAH!!!

image.gif.a67b2cee8dae52f48808a8611dd9f41b.gif

converting a 3rd round pick who’s been pushed further down our depth chart into a 1st rounder?

that’s fantastic asset management. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

The Wild don't have cap space and aren't looking to tear down their roster.  Guerin explaining why he made the trade:

"Yeah I did," Guerin said. "He had 85 points. The kid had a great year. We don't have [NHL salary] cap space. Honestly, to keep him we'd have to trade three guys or two guys and deplete our team more. Then the following year we're going to need even more. It just didn't fit.

"We've been down the road a couple times with Kevin already. Hey look, he had a great year and we knew we just were not going to be able to do it. We knew that, they knew that. There's no sense in just trying to [mess] around and try to fit this and fit that and give them a lowball deal. It's not going to work. We knew we were going to have to move him.

"We need younger guys. We need guys that don't make millions and millions of dollars. We just have to do it that way. And I think for long term success as well we have to keep adding to our prospect pool."

The last line of what Guerin stated is applicable to all teams.

" And I think for long term success as well we have to keep adding to our prospect pool".

That is something we have failed to do for at least a decade.

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

8 years since the Kings won the cup and they’re a playoff team and a dark horse contender.

Must be nice to do a proper rebuild and have the cap space to acquire guys like Danault, Arvidsson, and Fiala.

10 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

The last line of what Guerin stated is applicable to all teams.

" And I think for long term success as well we have to keep adding to our prospect pool".

That is something we have failed to do for at least a decade.

OUR PROSPECTS ARE PLAYING IN THE NHL

What farm grows simultaneously as you harvest it?

None.

Now is the time to sow the farm once again.

Let’s just make sure we don’t sell the house while at it.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Me_ said:

OUR PROSPECTS ARE PLAYING IN THE NHL

What farm grows simultaneously as you harvest it?

None.

Now is the time to sow the farm once again.

Let’s just make sure we don’t sell the house while at it.

Over the last decade we have traded away first and second round picks for free agents. 

Quite a few of those first and second round picks we did choose are not even playing in the NHL, Jake, Ollie, Jack to name just a few off the top of my head.  

It is always time to keep the farm stocked. 

You build a cup winning team through the draft. 

We haven't been a contender for nearly a decade and if you think we are near the level of a Tampa or Avalanche then you're dreaming.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Over the last decade we have traded away first and second round picks for free agents. 

Quite a few of those first and second round picks we did choose are not even playing in the NHL, Jake, Ollie, Jack to name just a few off the top of my head.  

It is always time to keep the farm stocked. 

You build a cup winning team through the draft. 

We haven't been a contender for nearly a decade and if you think we are near the level of a Tampa or Avalanche then you're dreaming.

We are nowhere near Tampa Bay or the Avalanches of this year, you are right.

But at a .638 winning percentage and a hot playoff goalie, we are definitely able to compete with Minnesota, Calgary, St-Louis, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Dallas, Nashville for a playoff spot.

When the Canucks are in the playoffs, they can shut the door hard. 

They’re not made of garbage collectively declining players whose last goal was buried by desert dunes long ago.

A full-season Boudreau-led Canucks team makes the playoffs last year. 

They’re going to make the playoffs next year.

Name one organization that is carrying all of their 1sts to successful careers; none.

Edited by Me_

4 minutes ago, Me_ said:

We are nowhere near Tampa Bay or the Avalanches of this year, you are right.

But at a .638 winning percentage and a hot playoff goalie, we are definitely able to compete with Minnesota, Calgary, St-Louis, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Dallas, Nashville for a playoff spot.

When the Canucks are in the playoffs, they can shut the door hard. 

They’re not made of garbage collectively declining players whose last goal was buried by desert dunes long ago.

A full-season Boudreau-led Canucks team makes the playoffs last year. 

They’re going to make the playoffs next year.

Name one organization that is carrying all of their 1sts to successful careers; none.

You need to calm down mate we are just talking about the same team we love.

I have made no comments about what will happen next year or what other teams have done with their draft picks.

What I will say is many teams have done a better job of drafting and developing players than we have in the last decade, and that is reflected by the success of those teams.

With the right moves, trades and what picks we might/ can acquire, I certainly believe we can become a serious contender with this core, Petterson, Hughes Demko and Podz in the next four years.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1