The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Brock Boeser

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes Garland most likely would be a 3rd liner next year, that is why I think they move him.  Unless you play both Podkolzin and Kuzmenko on the left and trade Miller.  But then you're top 6 is too small.  I don't think we have the depth and luxury to have a $5 million player on the 3rd line.  Garland would be better used in a trade for help on defence.

Which is fine if he can be better utilized on the PP. Also Garland Is a beauty 5 on 5. So playing on the third line wouldn’t be an issue. I do however understand both sides here. I’m just think Garland is under utilized on the PP as is OEL. I would like to see both units run evenly but coaches always seem to default to one unit. It’s quite incredible how many points Garland put up basically all 5 on 5. Horvat, Pettersson, OEL and with Boeser can all shoot the puck. Garland doesn’t need to be that shooter.

What I really want more than all is to have Myers moved. That can be converted into 2 shutdown defencemen. That seems like a tall task but I really do love the forward group. Just missing a third line center 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

I think you have to trade Garland now no? Kuzmenko and Boeser are your top 6 RW. What's the point of Garland on your third line?

Unless they put guys in pairs

Miller-Garland

Horvat-Kuzmenko

Petey-Boeser 

But then how to you improve the defence? We can't bring everyone back.

Ultimately I think Miller goes for the help we need on defence. 

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes Garland most likely would be a 3rd liner next year, that is why I think they move him.  Unless you play both Podkolzin and Kuzmenko on the left and trade Miller.  But then you're top 6 is too small.  I don't think we have the depth and luxury to have a $5 million player on the 3rd line.  Garland would be better used in a trade for help on defence.

Kuzy is right handed but plays left wing, irrc.

Edit: correct.

Edited by Jester13
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

Which is fine if he can be better utilized on the PP. Also Garland Is a beauty 5 on 5. So playing on the third line wouldn’t be an issue. I do however understand both sides here. I’m just think Garland is under utilized on the PP as is OEL. I would like to see both units run evenly but coaches always seem to default to one unit. It’s quite incredible how many points Garland put up basically all 5 on 5. Horvat, Pettersson, OEL and with Boeser can all shoot the puck. Garland doesn’t need to be that shooter.

What I really want more than all is to have Myers moved. That can be converted into 2 shutdown defencemen. That seems like a tall task but I really do love the forward group. Just missing a third line center 

If JR can move Myers, Poolman and Dickinson then I think we have the cap space to keep Garland, even if he has to play on the 3rd line.  Trading Garland isn't a guarantee and it might not happen.  I do like the player, I just like Boeser more if I had to choose between the two.  

Mikheyev   Roy   Garland

Hey, sign me up for that 3rd line...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It's easy to hate on that trade, and for me the $7.26 million is a bit rich for a 2nd pairing guy.  But theoretically speaking, if you eliminate OEL from the team and add back the cap space, who is going to take his spot?  An overpaid UFA?  Rathbone?  Dermott?  Who can take the minutes of Hughes when he is out of the lineup?

It's easy to rag on OEL and say we would be better off without that trade, but honestly Garland can easily be moved for a RHD as he's on a good contract and still young.  And the cap space from OEL not being around would really be needed to help fill his spot if he wasn't around to begin with.

Agree with everything... Except OEL isn't a 2nd pair D in any way, shape or form. And $7.26 isn't remotely rich for a first pair D.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Kuzy is right handed but plays left wing, irrc?

Kuzy is a left winger yes.  Podkolzin technically is a right winger and shoots left.  Podkolzin however primarily played the left side last year.  They could always play both Podkolzin and Kuzmenko on the left.

Podkolzin   Pettersson   Boeser

Kuzmenko   Horvat       Garland

I don't like the makeup of that top 6 though.  Too small IMO.  I'd rather have Kuzy and Podzilla on the same line with Horvat and add a left winger with size to play with Petey and Brock.  Hey if we keep Miller then the 649 line could come back together.  Who knows.  But my hunch is Miller will be traded.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Agree with everything... Except OEL isn't a 2nd pair D in any way, shape or form. And $7.26 isn't remotely rich for a first pair D.

OEL can play as a #1, no argument there.  But on Vancouver he is behind Hughes and won't get the minutes needed to be a true #1.  But having him as a #1A on the 2nd pairing has ALOT of benefits, some of which I already mentioned...

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

OEL can play as a #1, no argument there.  But on Vancouver he is behind Hughes and won't get the minutes needed to be a true #1.  But having him as a #1A on the 2nd pairing has ALOT of benefits, some of which I already mentioned...

Wonder why they never tried Quinn on the right side. If anyone could do it and flourish it would be Hughes. I think anyway 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So if he can play as a #1.... That makes him...?

He's not a 2nd pair D.

And if we can get them both appropriate partners, there's zero reason we can't have two "first" pairs, and play them each +/- 25 minutes a game.

Yes please!

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

So if he can play as a #1.... That makes him...?

He's not a 2nd pair D.

And if we can get them both appropriate partners, there's zero reason we can't have two "first" pairs, and play them each +/- 25 minutes a game.

Yes please!

If Boudreau shakes up the 1st unit PP and plays both Hughes and OEL together then OEL can get those extra minutes.  If not, I can't see how it's possible to increase his ice time an additional 3 minutes per night.  Also, if we can get Hague on the 3rd pairing then I would want to see him as our #1 PK guy, so again that takes away minutes from OEL.

Unless you pair them together like Toews and Makar I'm not sure how they would both be able to hit 25 minutes per night...

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, mll said:

It's not possible to have trade clauses on RFA years - only on the UFA ones.  This deal covers 2 RFAs year and 1 UFA year - there's a 10 team no-trade on that final year.

40 minutes ago, hammertime said:

He could have won the Jack Adams if he was a coach too but he didn't and he isn't 

One scenario is plausible the other doesn’t make much sense.  Brock is a goal scorer, it makes sense if her were healthy he’s score more.  He has no experience coaching and it’s a weird out of the blue thing to say. 

10 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

One scenario is plausible the other doesn’t make much sense.  Brock is a goal scorer, it makes sense if her were healthy he’s score more.  He has no experience coaching and it’s a weird out of the blue thing to say. 

Brock had 9 goals 5v5 last year. Tanner Pearson had 11 5v5 goals playing harder mins with worse linemates. Tell me again all about Brocks elite goal scoring.  Tanner (granite hands) Pearson could have scored 30 with Brocks deployment. 

Edited by hammertime

4 hours ago, kloubek said:

I agree it's silly. But Miller brings a lot more to the table than just his scoring. He's a fierce competitor, a leader, skates well, drives play, hits, plays gritty and with a chip on his shoulder. Its the kind of play that I think we can all agree we need more of - not less, and Boeser has little of that skillset.

So yeah, I can see a case to be made where Miller is worth more. But THAT much more? Maybe not.

Parise, staal, and the wilds cap for the next few years. 

Paying a 30 year old for their 20s is never smart. 

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Boudreau shakes up the 1st unit PP and plays both Hughes and OEL together then OEL can get those extra minutes.  If not, I can't see how it's possible to increase his ice time an additional 3 minutes per night.  Also, if we can get Hague on the 3rd pairing then I would want to see him as our #1 PK guy, so again that takes away minutes from OEL.

Unless you pair them together like Toews and Makar I'm not sure how they would both be able to hit 25 minutes per night...

You basically summed it up yourself. OEL playing with Hughes on the PP, Hague on the PK... Voila.

We'll likely have little choice but to shake up the PP, with the likelihood Miller is gone.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Alvin and Rutherford cleaning up Benning's mess 

mrs-doubtfire-broom.gif.d1ff598933b3c1b518be0d6594f03e82.gif

Love the meme! Do not get how this one was a Benning mess though. Pretty straight forward contract with the way Brock was trending when he signed it. I guess every move here on out will be cleaning up the mess if some peoples eyes though lol 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Insiders: "Boeser and Canucks management talks are dead and far apart"

My ass. Management doing such a good job not letting leaks out that media creating narratives out of nowhere. Seravelli, Dhaliwal, Friedman, Gaffar, Pagnotta, Lebrun all reported that things had gone quiet between the Canucks and Boeser and things were not close. 

The insiders:  were dead wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

Talks picked up today because of the deadline tomorrow.

Let's not hate on the insiders for no reason. We are lucky to have some great media people who are just reporting things their sources tell them. Quite often it is true, not everything that is true comes to fruition as a signing or trade.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Good bridge deal, 1 or 2 years is a bit insulting but a 3 year deal is very fair and well priced, plus they get out of the QO. This management team have made safe, smart moves so far but you know a big trade is brewing which will define them. Glad it's (hopefully) not Brock though. I think he's going to break out next year and the following year. Expecting 30 goals from him next year.

Makes you think Garland or Miller are going to be the ones nabbing us that RD.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Allvin can keep his mouth shut and doesn't mind letting the media know that he's not answering.  Look at how quiet it was about signing Boeser and the media said the signing wasn't on but it was.  Then there was Mike Yeo.  Silence, and now he's the assistant coach.  Silence over Miller means nothing.   We'll see what happens.  Allvin was asked about a trade tonight in a media availability and he says that there's no pressure to sign or trade because he's signed for another year.  It all means nothing.

Allvin letting possible suitors know, that they won't get Miller for cheap. The club is fine with keeping him, at least for now.... expect him to be on his way soon...

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1