The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Fanuck

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Imagine the excitement/ interest in this thread if Lekkerimaki came over to play with the Giants next season?  

Closer to the sedins and our player development staff. It would be super cool

4 minutes ago, Isam said:

Closer to the sedins and our player development staff. It would be super cool

He’s here for the prospect camp, so hopefully we talk to him about the potential of playing for the Giants.  The Twins could certainly help getting that done.  

Just now, Alflives said:

He’s here for the prospect camp, so hopefully we talk to him about the potential of playing for the Giants.  The Twins could certainly help getting that done.  

Maybe alf. But djurgarden has a great program for developing kids too and we will have sammuelsson keeping an eye on him.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Comparing Jonathan Lekkerimaki (Left) and Lucas Raymond's (Right) draft year and U18's.  They're very close.

Screenshot (19).png

9 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

That's a terrific recent comparable. And Raymond did pretty well in his rookie year scoring 57 points. I think Leki might need an extra year of development, though. However, Petey only needed one year when we all thought he'd need a few, so never say never...

Maybe the whole picture isn't showing up for me or something, but I'm only seeing up to Raymond's D-1 year, not his draft year. Remember Raymond and Holtz did what they did at U18s while they were under-agers.

I'm a huge Lekkerimaki fan (think I had him ranked 7th), but Raymond was a special prospect (I had him 2nd in a stronger 2020 draft). Biggest difference is Raymond was one of the most mature, complete two-way forwards I've seen at that age in many years, in addition to his elite offensive skill. Lekkerimaki is the better shooter and better at creating offense off the puck, but Raymond was a more explosive skater, and also more better and more aggressive attacking the inside and operating with the puck at high speeds in tight spaces.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, HighOnHockey said:

Maybe the whole picture isn't showing up for me or something, but I'm only seeing up to Raymond's D-1 year, not his draft year. Remember Raymond and Holtz did what they did at U18s while they were under-agers.

I'm a huge Lekkerimaki fan (think I had him ranked 7th), but Raymond was a special prospect (I had him 2nd in a stronger 2020 draft). Biggest difference is Raymond was one of the most mature, complete two-way forwards I've seen at that age in many years, in addition to his elite offensive skill. Lekkerimaki is the better shooter and better at creating offense off the puck, but Raymond was a more explosive skater, and also more better and more aggressive attacking the inside and operating with the puck at high speeds in tight spaces.

I think it will come around high to raymonds lvl once he gains more weight. 

7 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Would it be accurate to consider Raymond (as you point out) more of a dynamic guy with puck on stick at top speed, where as Lekkerimaki needs to be more a cerebral kind of player to be effective?  

Edited by Alflives

13 hours ago, Vermette9 said:

Yeah I would like that as well   but I understand the want to stay with his team and try to bring them back to top league like Elias did. I think he has a huge year amd pots 20-25 goals. I hope management has a program for him and Mikael  Samuelson  works with him weekly if not daily.

Well, the all-time best by a U19 in Allsvenskan was Patrik Berglund with 21 goals back in '06/'07. I mean, if all three of Ostlund, Ohgren and Lekkerimaki are able to really click and figure out the pro game, you never know, there could be magic in the air. But I just want to make sure we're clear about what realistic expectations should be. Here's the top all-time producers in Allsvenskan at U19: https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/hockeyallsvenskan/stats/all-time-season?age=u19&sort=tp

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I would love to see him with the Giants. That said, so young, lots to prove yet in Sweden, why not stay home for one more year. He will grown and be that much more ready for the North American game. Then the following year, a perfect age to get acquainted with the WHL, foreign country, small rink. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would it be accurate to consider Raymond (as you point out) more of a dynamic guy with puck on stick at top speed, where as Lekkerimaki needs to be more a cerebral kind of player to be effective?  

Yeah I'd say that's fair, although Lekkerimaki can be pretty dynamic in his own right.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

To an extent. Raymond has the better overall physical tools. But we dont know how good leks really could be because he had mono and his body really hasnt filled out yet

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, rekker said:

I would love to see him with the Giants. That said, so young, lots to prove yet in Sweden, why not stay home for one more year. He will grown and be that much more ready for the North American game. Then the following year, a perfect age to get acquainted with the WHL, foreign country, small rink. 

I’m wondering if he plays the year in Sweden (physically matures) if he doesn’t come over and play in Abbotsford then?  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I’m wondering if he plays the year in Sweden (physically matures) if he doesn’t come over and play in Abbotsford then?  

2 years alf atleast. They arent gonna rush the kid unless he pulls a raymond.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Isam said:

You can hammer, but you based it off of one game. The swedes had to play the way they did in the u18s was that they werent gonna get to many chances to score against possibly the best usdp team i have ever seen.  You should get some tape on him though from djurgarden in the shl. That is the good $&!# and might help you understand why we took him. 

@IsamHey man thanks for the reasonable response. To clarify I'm not judging him on one game. I was just giving a commentary on a video posted by another user. Admittedly I have only seen Lekkerimaki this year at the Hilinkas and u18. I'll probably go back and re watch some of those games as at that time I was mostly interested in Bystedt, Salomonson, Ohgren from Sweden. 

I want to get excited about this kid because he's our guy and he was ranked super high but when I watched him this year he wasn't really a player I was salivating over. Leading up to the draft I was hoping for a guy like Kaspar, Bichsel, McGroarty or trading down for Kulich, Bystedt, Gaucher, Pickering, Lamoureux, Nyman, Beck guys who do heavy lifting and maybe don't get all the glory on their stat sheets but help their teams win when it counts. 

When we drafted Pete I was super excited because he was very good on both sides of the puck.

Do you happen to have a link for some video that isn't just him clapping 1 timers. Videos like this 

Don't really do anything for me to get a sense of his overall game. But maybe I'm out to lunch and he will be fine as a pure offensive winger. Markus Naslund would be invisible most of the game but put up 2 goals and an assist and his jersey is hanging from the rafters. 

Anyway thanks man have a great day.  

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Would rather see him play European pro league than WHL.  Competition will be stronger and preparation of the PRO game will help the player progress more quickly.

Definitely.

I think you’re seeing a shift from the old days where teams wanted to get European players over to the CHL as quick as possible to allow them to adjust to the “North American game”

The SHL does a great job of developing players for the NHL. If you leave them there for the right amount of time they often don’t need time in the AHL.

I would say let him play in Allsvenskan and try and get them back into the SHL like Petey did with Timra. Then probably another season in the SHL (hopefully) and then see where he’s at.

• Cheers 3

29 minutes ago, hammertime said:

@IsamHey man thanks for the reasonable response. To clarify I'm not judging him on one game. I was just giving a commentary on a video posted by another user. Admittedly I have only seen Lekkerimaki this year at the Hilinkas and u18. I'll probably go back and re watch some of those games as at that time I was mostly interested in Bystedt, Salomonson, Ohgren from Sweden. 

I want to get excited about this kid because he's our guy and he was ranked super high but when I watched him this year he wasn't really a player I was salivating over. Leading up to the draft I was hoping for a guy like Kaspar, Bichsel, McGroarty or trading down for Kulich, Bystedt, Gaucher, Pickering, Lamoureux, Nyman, Beck guys who do heavy lifting and maybe don't get all the glory on their stat sheets but help their teams win when it counts. 

When we drafted Pete I was super excited because he was very good on both sides of the puck.

Do you happen to have a link for some video that isn't just him clapping 1 timers. Videos like this 

Don't really do anything for me to get a sense of his overall game. But maybe I'm out to lunch and he will be fine as a pure offensive winger. Markus Naslund would be invisible most of the game but put up 2 goals and an assist and his jersey is hanging from the rafters. 

Anyway thanks man have a great day.  

Look up instat. Professional scouting service that is used by most teams. Bit expensive but worth it if you love the game. You will have to hide the bill from your old lady

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1