The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Big time disappointment this off-season so far?

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

With that kind of skill? Seriously? You listen and watch too much media...

Great but the fact is he is likely going to decline after 30. Having him on this team is still not going to get us where we want to be eventually. Stanley cup contenders. The age just doesn’t fit this group. The money doesn’t fit. The assets we could get do. People just seem to care that we just make the playoffs. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

13 minutes ago, King Loui said:

We walk through each draft like our $&!# don't stink.  2 picks in the top 70 in the last 3 years and we aren't even a playoff team, it's a joke 

I agree but that’s not necessarily on new management. We will see how they do. The part that’s frustrating is why we never had our first round fireworks in the JB era.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Great but the fact is he is likely going to decline after 30. Having him on this team is still not going to get us where we want to be eventually. Stanley cup contenders. The age just doesn’t fit this group. The money doesn’t fit. The assets we could get do. People just seem to care that we just make the playoffs. 

I agree with you, but I am also wondering if we aren't getting any offers worth Miller? Are we overvaluing him? Is PA getting lowballed? i want to see a trade that works for us not just a "best we can get" trade. The Miller trade has to be a home run not a single.

23 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I understand your point of view, but our core is much better then you give it credit for.  

Elias, Demko, Quinn, Podz, Boeser, and Horvat are a really strong core.  

I wouldn't say that's a strong core it's an average NHL core, it's not strong enough to make the playoffs and when compared to the contending teams cores it looks frightful.  Demko is a top 10 goalie and Hughes is top 15-20 defenceman Petey shows promise but is an average 1st liner production wise so far Boeser plays on the top line but has 2nd line production and worst thing for him is his rookie year was his best and that was 5 years ago.  Horvat had a break out year goal scoring wise but his production level is 2nd line calibre and Podz I like him and his potential but if he is part of our core that just proves our core isn't very strong.

I think your giving our core way too much credit.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

You actually think they are going to get something better now then they could have had already? 

How do you know they have had such a great deal????? 

Do you remember how Joe Sakic was so so patient with Duchene pick?? Patience patience its all the media hype..Sakic made a fantastic trade that really set up Colorado..

As long as something is Done before season starts in October..

Also have to be careful trading Myers fans forget that Myers plays hard mins every night 20--23 mins against other teams best players..

Myers 6 million X 2 years?? If you move Myers any good player replacing Myers will be making over 4 million

5 minutes ago, thrago said:

I wouldn't say that's a strong core it's an average NHL core, it's not strong enough to make the playoffs and when compared to the contending teams cores it looks frightful.  Demko is a top 10 goalie and Hughes is top 15-20 defenceman Petey shows promise but is an average 1st liner production wise so far Boeser plays on the top line but has 2nd line production and worst thing for him is his rookie year was his best and that was 5 years ago.  Horvat had a break out year goal scoring wise but his production level is 2nd line calibre and Podz I like him and his potential but if he is part of our core that just proves our core isn't very strong.

I think your giving our core way too much credit.

I just wish that instead of one of the forwards, we had another d-man instead.  However I can guarantee you that there's 20 teams out there that would trade their young roster players for ours if they had a choice.  

Next year is big, our team will show what they're made of.  No more excuses, it's time to make the playoffs while being led by our young core. 

2 minutes ago, wildcam said:

How do you know they have had such a great deal????? 

Do you remember how Joe Sakic was so so patient with Duchene pick?? Patience patience its all the media hype..Sakic made a fantastic trade that really set up Colorado..

As long as something is Done before season starts in October..

Also have to be careful trading Myers fans forget that Myers plays hard mins every night 20--23 mins against other teams best players..

Myers 6 million X 2 years?? If you move Myers any good player replacing Myers will be making over 4 million

The problem with the Sakic patience approach for us is that Colorado wasn't a cap team and could still sign UFA's, we really can't do anything until we clear some cap space and Free agency is right around the corner.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I just wish that instead of one of the forwards, we had another d-man instead.  However I can guarantee you that there's 20 teams out there that would trade their young roster players for ours if they had a choice.  

Next year is big, our team will show what they're made of.  No more excuses, it's time to make the playoffs while being led by our young core. 

Ya bring it all back another year. I am sure the same team will prove us wrong this time. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Our core has potential for sure but until that's realized that's all it is.   But so far Hughes and Demko are the only ones to really make a big step, if Petey and Boeser add 15 plus points to there production this year I would say we have a strongesh core.

3 minutes ago, thrago said:

The problem with the Sakic patience approach for us is that Colorado wasn't a cap team and could still sign UFA's, we really can't do anything until we clear some cap space and Free agency is right around the corner.

Sakic had fans going crazy about taking so long to make a trade..Duchene sat out for months.. I feel Vancouver will clear some cap space before July 13th first day of UFA signing..So many teams over pay for UFA players...Sure hope new management team doesn't make mistake like previous GM groups for years..

Don't sign and over pay for players... 

7 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I don't think you can really guage our core yet on account our team being so poorly constructed. We need the right supplementary pieces to see what they can really do.

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

It just feels like same old, same old. It makes no sense to keep JT Miller right now. There is a good chance he regresses this year and the years to follow. It’s just such a big risk. We really needed a dman. This just change the team at all if they don’t trade him and I don’t get how you can bring everyone back. I know there is time but man it always feels like we are always the team looking and drooling over other teams  moves. I am tired of hearing how they couldn’t get something done. No picks added and no trade. Where are these so called big moves.? Might still happen but today was a big disappointment.  For those of you who think we need him, you need to give your heads shake. We are not anywhere near contention and our defense sucks. What are we keeping him for then?

Rutherford just won back to back cups pretty recently btw...