The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Maple Leafs trade Petr Mrazek, 2022 1st-round pick to Blackhawks for 2022 2nd-round pick

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

dumping a 3m plus contract with 2 years left on it while retaining ZERO salary to only drop down 13 spots in the draft...is sad to say a great move for toronto and a stupid move by chicago, why help out a cap strapped team who can go spend more $ on a #1G to maybe help them win a playoff round finally.

Do people forget chicago giving up prime assets to dump the contracts of bickell and darling among others?

I'm a little sloshed but, didn't the Laffs also give up extra later picks?

On 7/8/2022 at 4:19 PM, Mustard Tiger said:

Well shoot that's what I get for not reading all that way back to the og posts. He's a great individual player, Nothing you said is incorrect.

But if I'm building a team, I'm not spending what almost 1/3 of the cap on 3 guys dissappear come playoff time! My goals to win cups not collect personal trophies haha

Yeah for sure, I would pick others before Marner based on clutch post season play alone. He said Marner was overpaid, and maybe you can make an argument about that but if you're ok with paying Miller say $8.5 then $10.9 for Marner is about right based on his elite production and age. The kid's been well over a PPG in his career and is one of the best playmakers in the league at 25. If you look at the other players in his salary range, the leaf's are getting their money's worth more than most teams are who have a similar contract. The Leafs post season woes obviously can't be pinned on Marner alone. 

• Cheers 1

On 7/8/2022 at 8:56 AM, Harold Drunken said:

Again, he was over a PPG in the playoffs. Marner isn't paid to shut players down. He's paid to create offense. 

This notion you have that every player in the NHL is or should be on a similar level of defensive play and responsibility is false and unrealistic.

Stevie Y says hi.

On 7/8/2022 at 5:14 PM, Canuckster86 said:

dumping a 3m plus contract with 2 years left on it while retaining ZERO salary to only drop down 13 spots in the draft...is sad to say a great move for toronto and a stupid move by chicago, why help out a cap strapped team who can go spend more $ on a #1G to maybe help them win a playoff round finally.

Do people forget chicago giving up prime assets to dump the contracts of bickell and darling among others?

Yep, Blackhawks lost their minds at the draft. Terrible GM so far. 
He should have got the first and not have to give the second. 
Worse than the DeBrincat deal which at the very least should of got a good prospect on top of the pics. 
They should consider hiring Benning. He was better than this guy so far. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1

On 7/8/2022 at 1:53 PM, King Heffy said:

However everyone does need to buy in. Washington didn't win the Cup until Ovechkin worked at becoming a 200 foot player.

Having an uber talented, deep roster with great goaltending may have also had something to do with it. 

To say Washington didn't win a cup until Ovie started backchecking harder is hilarious.  

Having several players be at or near a PPG helped

Having Holtby post a 2.16 GAA and a .922 save % with 2 shutouts in the playoffs helped

But you're right, Ovechkin's defensive prowess won them that cup

Don't tell Kuznetsov and his 32 points in 24 games that though. 

Or the fact Ovie had 27 points in 24 games

Or Backstrom having 23 points in 20 games

Or all the stellar secondary scoring. 

Edited by Harold Drunken

4 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Having an uber talented, deep roster with great goaltending may have also had something to do with it. 

To say Washington didn't win a cup until Ovie started backchecking harder is hilarious.  

That was one of their weaker rosters since they become a contender.  Ovi buying in set the tone for everyone to do what was needed to win.  You can't have your stars floating if you want to succeed in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1