The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Media didn’t ask any questions about defense.

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

7 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

IMO it's fine to have high standards and expectations. Not holding management accountable enough was a major problem with this market with the last guys.

But before the panic button is pushed it's probably best to remember that we're exactly 1 day into the summer and sometimes it's not in a party's best interests to publicize their negotiation position. Saying we're happy with where we are at is just the standard signal to the rest of the league that they need not circle like vultures at this point.

Yeah I'm not saying it's not good to have high standards. I just think it's important to understand what it would take to achieve those high standards. For example, if you expect to buy a house, but also expect a lower mortgage and not have any upkeep to perform at all... sure you had high standards in wanting to buy the house, but your expectations of what it implies are out of whack. So, it's not the expectations here, it's a seemingly lack of understanding that these expectations are not going to be easy to achieve.

In my mind, the standards themselves are not what defines whether they're realistic or not, they're just standards,  it's the understanding of what it takes to get there that's going to determine if it's realistic or unrealistic. For example, if a GM says we're going to sign Crosby and Ovechkin over the summer, we know that's unrealistic due to what it would take to make that even happen. ;)

Edited by The Lock
  • Vintage 1

18 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Are you kidding me. They said it wasn’t good enough and have done nothing. Media didn’t even ask him about it. I guess they have all summer but the D is not good. Our media seems to like to play it safe rather than ask the tough questions. He is talking like we are just keeping Miller. I don’t get how that is a great move. Right side D at least. I just didn’t like how Allvin said they were happy with the team after free agency.

GMs...say things all the time but we should never hang on their every word (i've noticed one poster - not you- who loves to post anything that in his/her mind caboshes stuff because of what a GM or senior member does say).    Sure it's important to get the flavour of the times.   But it's like reading Friedman's 31 thoughts as gospel.   Think of it as Poker.   IF JR is publicly announcing we are looking to move Miller what purpose what that do?   For his team.   His fan base and especially - for the return?   I'm sure every GM in the league has their own button on his office phone.   It's a game, think of it as poker instead.    Even amateur players wouldn't just put their hands on the table!   Miller is like an Ace in the hole.    Other GMs also know this but especially ours does.    Does his value go up - or down depending on announcing a player wants out or is to be traded!   We saw this with Kesler - way way down.   And BTW, CLB went out and did the exact opposite of what they said - and wow - Malkin was signed despite the media saying he wasn't offered a 4 year deal lol.  

The only thing i'm going to hold JR/Allvin somewhat accountable on is their commentary that "this team can't afford to let UFAs walk for nothing"  ... that could be a slap to JBs face too lol, and suppose it was.    However - worst possible case is we trade Miller and it's a bad trade.   We re-sign whomever and end up with a vet as well who does an LE on us.    There are much worse things then just letting Miller play out his contract with us and walking at the end.   And i'm totally fine with trading him, re-signing him and letting him walk.   Each one has their own variables, it of course only matters what happens as a result. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, The Lock said:

I feel like, unless if we get star defensemen, people are not going to shut up about our defense. Of course, getting star defense is more expensive which then if we even get those star defense these same people would probably complain about the contract, especially if the signing's in free agency where the prices are typically higher.

It's this weird cycle where I feel people are complaining for the sake of complaining at this point.

Good post!  Nbc Complaining GIF by Sunnyside

13 hours ago, The Lock said:

I feel like, unless if we get star defensemen, people are not going to shut up about our defense. Of course, getting star defense is more expensive which then if we even get those star defense these same people would probably complain about the contract, especially if the signing's in free agency where the prices are typically higher.

It's this weird cycle where I feel people are complaining for the sake of complaining at this point.

We lose Miller and very soon after it's going to be about our lack of center depth, and this will soon follow around Horvat: Biting Nails Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Let's be patient folks!  We got some excitement yesterday.   JB is gone.   And our core is ascending, we don't need to worry about plugs anymore.   The teams construction is moving away from bottom/middle six plugs.   Our forward group right now looks very very decent.  And our PK got a good boost.   So ... lots of time left before the season starts. Maybe, just maybe, JR/Allvin are trying to put the cherry on top with the decent not great but decent group JB assembled.   I'm 100% ok with just using this season and Millers great current contract as a way to see what we can do come playoff time.    You just never do know in this sport.   Not many chances.    Every other team in the league looks at other teams and salivates at their group to a certain degree (ARI not so much  - but that's going to change / same with Seattle eventually).     We have a Demko.   And an EP.  And A Brockstar.   And a Miller-Time.    An angry elf and a Chaos Giraffe.   And a Housley who doesn't have to play in a Housley era.   And a bull Captain Horvat.   So ... maybe just maybe we aren't that bad.    Lots of decent support too.   

19 hours ago, Zfetch said:

Yeah folks.

I don't need this random defense.

Regardless, I'm excited to see who the Canucks sign.

I respectfully ask to maintain my unique view that Podkolzin is underwhelming in exchange for my other unique view that Myers is actually good and more or less worth his contract. Thank you. I did not mean to cause a ruckus.

I can appreciate this perspective as Podkolzin is not exactly lighting it up, but he isn't exactly a bust. I would have rather taken Boldy, but other than Caulfield there isn't a player taken after Podz that is that much further ahead.

The kid needed to adjust to NA ice, and has steadily improved during the season. I think he has the motor and desire to keep improving so I wouldn't count him out as being a solid pick for us. One thing I feel like he's already done is open the gates for more Russian players to want to play here.

I'm expecting at least one, possibly two, of our current "suppossed" top 9 forwards (maybe with one of our existing D's) will still be traded before season's start in return for at least one more experienced "D" as it would be very precarious starting our season with three bottom defencemen (Schenn/Dermutt/Burroughs) .   

Everyone on here has stated the obvious need for a defensive upgrade, so we can rest assured that  if we all know it - JR & Co. know it - and will make changes.   Likely candidates to be traded aside from Miller, would be Pearson, Garland or Dickenson. I would almost expect a multi-player trade before Season's start.

22 hours ago, Qwags said:

I don't see why we have to bring other teams down just to prop up the Canucks. Let the Canucks do it themselves.

Yeah, I've not been on board with this either. If you're unable to take off your blue and green coloured glasses and take a realistic look at the rest of the teams and players around the league you're not a hockey fan imo, you're just a Canucks fan. 

There's nothing wrong with giving props to other teams and players the same way there's nothing wrong with being critical of one's own team. Fandom doesn't necessitate a rose coloured lens. 

The results will, and typically do speak for themselves, I'm not gonna wave imaginary pom poms on a message board. If the Canucks aren't good enough they'll miss the playoffs like they have been most of the last ten years. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 3