The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(discussion) With stats/facts to back it up, explain where you think our d group ranks.

Rate this topic

JM_

7 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

You added so much of your own theatrics to what I said, I can’t even attempt to reply. 
It’s just too far gone.  
Have a great day! 

In other words, you have no counter and you're just stonewalling again. It's ok. I didn't think your arguments had any substance to begin with.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

You added so much of your own theatrics to what I said, I can’t even attempt to reply. 
It’s just too far gone.  
Have a great day! 

https://canucksarmy.com/2022/07/24/honourable-mentions-2022-vancouver-canucks-prospects-list/

Jett Woo, RD, 21 years old, 6’0″, 205 lbs

We’ve been on a downward trend with Jett Woo for a year or so now.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

The good news is that he is still only 21 years old and has a chance to find his footing in the AHL this season under new head coach Jeremy Colliton. Woo battled injuries last season and did show some signs of improvement when it came to his most glaring weaknesses — which were skating and puck-handling.

Jett Woo takes a shot from Bryce Kindopp after the whistle then lets Kindopp know how unacceptable that was#AbbyCanucks #Canucks pic.twitter.com/OtgbKbs1at

— Cody Severtson (@CodySevertson) April 9, 2022

There were a handful of games early in the season where Woo was playing some of the best hockey we have ever seen from him but his progress was derailed by COVID and an injury that kept him out of the lineup for seven weeks.

Woo will need to continue to improve on his skating to be able to get to the NHL. His physicality was apparent in his rookie season but he seemed to take a bit of a step back or not necessarily make improvements in his sophomore season as a pro.

We need to see a big year in his third pro season to get him back into the top-10 rankings.

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

I can agree Benning was trying to “reset” the team, and avoid doing a proper rebuild.  And during that “reset” he traded away high picks, prospects, and youth for guys further along in their development.  It was a disaster then, and we are in a huge mess now because of his incompetence.   It took Gillis the Great a couple seasons to build his great team.  

I think the new management is forward thinking and will do a great job, just like Gillis.  But it’s going to take time.  

What great team? The team he inherited was not upgraded. Despite the emergence of Markstrom and Tanev under Gillis, as well as Horvat, we did not see a replacement for Edler, nor a goaltender in the pipeline (that was traded away for Horvat, who was a high first round pick). Then we saw him throw away Grabner AND a 1st for Ballard, who was later bought out by Gillis himself. Then we two second round picks thrown away for Derek Roy, a discarded defenseman in Connaughton, and complete whiffs with Niklas Jensen, Brendan Gaunce, and the "great" Alexandre Mallet with the second round pick as his first pick that year (he traded away his first).

Gillis didn't "build" a good team, contrary to the narrative. He added some pieces to a pre-existing core, but when THAT core became stale, Gillis had no replacement.

He had: a declining Sedins, a disgruntled Kesler, an equally disgruntled and perplexed Luongo, along with Markstrom and Tanev. When he was fired, it was clear that the team was barren with prospects, with exception to maybe Shinkaruk.

Gillis is freaking awful when you actually look at the stuff that he couldn't do, not the playoff stuff that people remember him for.

On 7/24/2022 at 2:28 PM, Alflives said:

I can agree Benning was trying to “reset” the team, and avoid doing a proper rebuild.  And during that “reset” he traded away high picks, prospects, and youth for guys further along in their development.  It was a disaster then, and we are in a huge mess now because of his incompetence.   It took Gillis the Great a couple seasons to build his great team.  

I think the new management is forward thinking and will do a great job, just like Gillis.  But it’s going to take time.  

Why do you think Gillis the great...had such a great team?   Because of the heavy lifting Burke and Nonis did!   Kudos to him for at least realizing that, and making sure they were locked in until their mid 30's or in Luongo's case until his early 40's.     At least JB built the team we now have.   Only OEL can't be traded.   I'm sure JR and Allvin appreciate that a lot. 

On 7/24/2022 at 9:15 PM, Dazzle said:

What great team? The team he inherited was not upgraded.

The team that made game 7 of the finals, which included a lot of parts Gillis brought on. There's only two other teams in our franchise history that made that stage and the 2011 was arguably the most dominant one when compared to the peers of the time.

The core of Kesler, Burrows, Luongo, Bieksa and the Sedins were in place yes, but Mikhael Samuelsson, Christian Ehrhoff, Chris Higgins, Maxim LaPierre, Dan Hamhuis were definitely upgrades that augmented that core.

The Sundin signing was credited with having a big part to play in Hank/Dank and Kes' development. Demitra too can't be ignored. 

I think you're also downplaying how he was able to lock down that core before any of them hit free agency.

There's a lot of revisionism going on here about how that core was always destined to make the cup finals. It was not that clear cut. Until Gillis' first season, people were questioning whether the Sedins were the core players that would take the next step  and whether they were the guys.

The team missed playoffs two of the last three seasons when Gillis took over, which was deemed unacceptable.

The bar was much higher back then.

Despite the emergence of Markstrom and Tanev under Gillis, as well as Horvat, we did not see a replacement for Edler, nor a goaltender in the pipeline (that was traded away for Horvat, who was a high first round pick).

Gillis never had a chance to replace Edler, he was fired shortly after trading for Markstrom and Horvat. Edler was also 28 at the time Gillis got fired, so he had no reason to look for a replacement at that point in time.

Then we saw him throw away Grabner AND a 1st for Ballard, who was later bought out by Gillis himself. Then we two second round picks thrown away for Derek Roy, a discarded defenseman in Connaughton, and complete whiffs with Niklas Jensen, Brendan Gaunce, and the "great" Alexandre Mallet with the second round pick as his first pick that year (he traded away his first).

Yep those were horrible trades. In hindsight, should have just retained Willie Mitchell rather than try and replace him.

All the moves post-2012 were puzzling to me I'll give you that, but it was to give the Sedins that one last push in 2013. Afterwards Gillis made what rebuilding moves he could before he got canned, getting Markstrom and Horvat. 

The list for your boy Benning, even if I were to break his time here into two separate four year eras, exceeds that in terms of value lost in both trades, picks and whiffs at relative draft positions per four year term. 

Gillis didn't "build" a good team, contrary to the narrative. He added some pieces to a pre-existing core, but when THAT core became stale, Gillis had no replacement.

He was fired before he had a chance to rebuild. We've gone through this before. 

He had: a declining Sedins, a disgruntled Kesler, an equally disgruntled and perplexed Luongo, along with Markstrom and Tanev. When he was fired, it was clear that the team was barren with prospects, with exception to maybe Shinkaruk.

Gillis is freaking awful when you actually look at the stuff that he couldn't do, not the playoff stuff that people remember him for.

• A 100+ point playoff team with tradeable assets. (Sedins aside)
  • The 6th overall pick (which became Jake Virtanen)
  • A lower ranked prospect pool yes, but still had names like Bo Horvat, Brandon Gaunce, Eddie Lack, Frankie Corrado, Jordan subban Nicklas Jensen and Shinkaruk (*these guys had value at the time that could have been used in a trade)
  • A tradeable 2C in Kesler that even with the restricted teams list, had assets available that were much better than Sbisa which Benning ultimately valued above a prospect like Shea Theodore or a push for the 10OA (a pro scouting error)
  • Luongo, who ended up returning future #1 Goalie Markstrom. Lu and Marky never were on the roster at the same time.
  • Tanev - A 24 year old shutdown RHD

Let's not forget, 

• The Utica comets farm system - he laid the groundwork with which Benning could control the development of future prospects, something JB ignored and let Cull do his own thing. But Gillis was operating at a developmental handicap with his draft picks being in the hands of the Chicago Wolves and deployment out of his control. 
  • ~$12 million in projected cap space excluding the cap savings from trading Kesler. (Promptly filled with a $6 million Ryan Miller and $5 million Vrbata) I bet JR wishes he had this flexibility to work with leftover from Benning.

Gillis had his warts and his time was up, but he left Benning with a decent start to a rebuild and retool. not the wasteland you're suggesting.

Edited by DSVII
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, DSVII said:

The team that made game 7 of the finals, which included a lot of parts Gillis brought on. There's only two other teams in our franchise history that made that stage and the 2011 was arguably the most dominant one when compared to the peers of the time.

The core of Kesler, Burrows, Luongo, Bieksa and the Sedins were in place yes, but Mikhael Samuelsson, Christian Ehrhoff, Chris Higgins, Maxim LaPierre, Dan Hamhuis were definitely upgrades that augmented that core.

The Sundin signing was credited with having a big part to play in Hank/Dank and Kes' development. Demitra too can't be ignored. 

I think you're also downplaying how he was able to lock down that core before any of them hit free agency.

There's a lot of revisionism going on here about how that core was always destined to make the cup finals. It was not that clear cut. Until Gillis' first season, people were questioning whether the Sedins were the core players that would take the next step  and whether they were the guys.

The team missed playoffs two of the last three seasons when Gillis took over, which was deemed unacceptable.

Gillis never had a chance to replace Edler, he was fired shortly after trading for Markstrom and Horvat. Edler was also 28 at the time Gillis got fired, so he had no reason to look for a replacement at that point in time.

Yep those were horrible trades. In hindsight, should have just retained Willie Mitchell rather than try and replace him.

All the moves post-2012 were puzzling to me I'll give you that, but it was to give the Sedins that one last push in 2013. Afterwards Gillis made what rebuilding moves he could before he got canned, getting Markstrom and Horvat. 

The list for your boy Benning, even if I were to break his time here into two separate four year eras, exceeds that in terms of value lost in both trades, picks and whiffs at relative draft positions per four year term. 

• A lower ranked prospect pool yes, but still had names like Bo Horvat, Brandon Gaunce, Eddie Lack, Frankie Corrado, Jordan subban Nicklas Jensen and Shinkaruk (*these guys had value at the time that could have been used in a trade)
  • A tradeable 2C in Kesler that even with the restricted teams list, had assets available that were much better than Sbisa which Benning ultimately valued above a prospect like Shea Theodore or a push for the 10OA (a pro scouting error)
  • Luongo, who ended up returning future #1 Goalie Markstrom. Lu and Marky never were on the roster at the same time.

Let's not forget, 

• The Utica comets farm system - he laid the groundwork with which Benning could control the development of future prospects, something JB ignored and let Cull do his own thing. But Gillis was operating at a developmental handicap with his draft picks being in the hands of the Chicago Wolves and deployment out of his control. 
  • ~$12 million in projected cap space excluding the cap savings from trading Kesler. (Promptly filled with a $6 million Ryan Miller and $5 million Vrbata) I bet JR wishes he had this flexibility to work with leftover from Benning.

Gillis had his warts and his time was up, but he left Benning with a decent start to a rebuild and retool. not the wasteland you're suggesting.

Puhleeze. Edler was from the NONIS period. Good god, he was the oldest piece from the roster before anyone, so what kind of revisionism are YOU talking about? He missed every single draft pick, minus the several ones I already listed. That in itself is a BIG failure, one which you've seemed to downplay. Instead, the so-called development issue which you've reasonably criticized is not really mentioned at all with Gillis. Gillis did start with a farm team, but he didn't really fill any of those teams with developing prospects (because he flubbed a lot of them).

You give far too much credit to the playoff successes that I already mentioned. His CORE was from other people. Sure he lucked out with Samuelsson, etc etc, among other players, but when it came down to Gillis having to make his own core (i.e. through the draft picks/prospects that HE picked), you can see how bad he really was.

You're giving credit to Gillis for the heavy work that other GMs did. When Gillis was fired, the team was honestly the worst state it had ever been in for a long, long time. No young prospects whatsoever, and a bunch of players that neither move the needle on the roster. I remember the Willie D period. Yes, those rosters were trash.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Puhleeze. Edler was from the NONIS period. Good god, he was the oldest piece from the roster before anyone, so what kind of revisionism are YOU talking about? He missed every single draft pick, minus the several ones I already listed. That in itself is a BIG failure, one which you've seemed to downplay. Instead, the so-called development issue which you've reasonably criticized is not really mentioned at all with Gillis. Gillis did start with a farm team, but he didn't really fill any of those teams with developing prospects (because he flubbed a lot of them).

You give far too much credit to the playoff successes that I already mentioned. His CORE was from other people. Sure he lucked out with Samuelsson, etc etc, among other players, but when it came down to Gillis having to make his own core (i.e. through the draft picks/prospects that HE picked), you can see how bad he really was.

You're giving credit to Gillis for the heavy work that other GMs did. When Gillis was fired, the team was honestly the worst state it had ever been in for a long, long time. No young prospects whatsoever, and a bunch of players that neither move the needle on the roster. I remember the Willie D period. Yes, those rosters were trash.

Sorry, but it’s fact Gillis built our most successful teams.  That’s why the Benning era is so bad.  We went from the high of Gillis, to the low of Benning.  It was sweet and then sour.  The dramatic difference of Gillis success and Benning failure is extreme.

The new management is clearly very forward thinking and collaborative.  They have put people into positions, and then encourage those people to voice their opinions.  Benning was a “my way is the best way” manager.  

At this recent draft we saw the video of our scouts all collaborating to generate their draft list.  Allvin even said it was quiet at first but with encouragement (to speak their opinions) the scouts started talking.  Clearly scouts knew their opinions weren’t going to be heard, and only attacked by Benning for voicing one’s that differed from what he wanted to hear, so they learned to “sit on their hands” and only agree with what Benning said.

Benning did an incredible amount of damage to our club, that reached far beyond just the players.  

39 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Let's not forget, 

This is beyond good.  Excellent breakdown of how we went from the great Gillis teams to the mistake that was Benning.

If we were to choose which guy to go fishing with it’s for sure Benning.  He seems like a good guy.  Gillis, not so much.  But as GM’s it’s sweet (Gillis) and sour (Benning).  Some fans prefer sour.  That’s fine, but strange. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Why are we going over Gillis again? 

Haha sorry @JM_ but can't let that slander against the 2011 team and the front office that took us there go unchallenged. I'll find some more defense stats to post later on :p 

Edited by DSVII
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DSVII said:

Haha sorry @JM_ but can't let that slander against the 2011 team and the front office that took us there go unchallenged.

it's all good. That draft pick value table is neat, I haven't seen that before. 

• Cheers 1

All this Gillis vs Benning stuff is pointless. *BOTH* had their real flaws that led to their demise.  There should be no disputing that.

As the thread topic, our blueline.....

Our D when Benning was first hired

Jason Garrison......29 years old (dealt for a 2nd round pick before the season started)

Dan Hamhuis........29 years old

Edler.....................28 years old

Tanev....................24 years old

Bieksa..................31 years old

Weber...................25 years old

Hutton...................21 years old

Our D today:

Hughes.................21 years old

OEL......................31 years old

Myers...................31 years old

Schenn.................31 years old

Poolman (lol)........28 years old

Rathbone..............22 years old

Funny how our aging blueline when Benning was hired (and yes, it was an aging roster no question), isn't THAT significantly different than the current blueline (a team that was supposed to be rebuilding).

edit:  I did this quickly, I might've missed a player or two.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 3

18 minutes ago, Muttley said:

No he didn't Pat Quinn did. B)

Love Pat Quinn, but two Presidents’ trophies (and game 7 Cup Final) while being a serious Cup contender for several seasons says Gillis was the most successful.  

And then came Benning. :sick:

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Love Pat Quinn, but two Presidents’ trophies (and game 7 Cup Final) while being a serious Cup contender for several seasons says Gillis was the most successful.  

And then came Benning. :sick:

Quinn built the team from pretty much nothing. Gillis got gifted a contender from qualified management and then destroyed the franchise with his gross incompetence.  He was easily the worst GM in the history of the franchise and unfit for any job involving player evaluation.

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Quinn built the team from pretty much nothing. Gillis got gifted a contender from qualified management and then destroyed the franchise with his gross incompetence.  He was easily the worst GM in the history of the franchise and unfit for any job involving player evaluation.

Jim Benning hiring of "Dumb & Dumber" for our head coaches makes him fight for that spot imho.  EP was looking like a ghost of his Calder self.  And he was hardly the only "Calder candidate" that looked like **** under these minor league head coaches.  You can draft all the home runs you want but most (Hughes seems to be the exception) need good coaching.  Took all of less than 30 days for an old man like JR to *FINALLY* hire a legit NHL head coach (something Jim Benning was given 7 years to do & got us "Dumb & Dumber").  Look at the difference in EP from under Travis "The Blender" Green & Coach "They still call me Bruce"!

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Jim Benning hiring of "Dumb & Dumber" for our head coaches makes him fight for that spot imho.  EP was looking like a ghost of his Calder self.  And he was hardly the only "Calder candidate" that looked like **** under these minor league head coaches.  You can draft all the home runs you want but most (Hughes seems to be the exception) need good coaching.  Took all of less than 30 days for an old man like JR to *FINALLY* hire a legit NHL head coach (something Jim Benning was given 7 years to do & got us "Dumb & Dumber").  Look at the difference in EP from under Travis "The Blender" Green & Coach "They still call me Bruce"!

Benning definitely earned some of the blame for allowing a locker room cancer to coach the team.

15 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

...and yet, he got GM of the year in 2010-11.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1