The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

2 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Well With Horvat and Kuzmenko traded Canucks should get two 1st right there. Maybe Boeser snags you a late 1st if we take back a bad contract thats expiring or 1 year left.

I would love to get 1st round picks back, but JR/PA may feel differently and want players in return. I think they may have even said they're not interested in picks. I don't get it, for a team that seriously needs to refill the prospect pool and get younger to compete down the road, having three 1st round picks in this year's Draft would be gold.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I would love to get 1st round picks back, but JR/PA may feel differently and want players in return. I think they may have even said they're not interested in picks. I don't get it, for a team that seriously needs to refill the prospect pool and get younger to compete down the road, having three 1st round picks in this year's Draft would be gold.   

Our owner wants this direction.  The last core guy we traded was Kessler.  And we got Bonino, Sbisa and a first (McCann) who we soon turned into Guddy.  This owner doesn’t want moves that take the team back a step.  

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our owner wants this direction.  The last core guy we traded was Kessler.  And we got Bonino, Sbisa and a first (McCann) who we soon turned into Guddy.  This owner doesn’t want moves that take the team back a step.  

And yet the team moves backwards anyways.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

And yet the team moves backwards anyways.

Yup.  But it’s the owner’s direction to his management.  When the owner changes his philosophy, then we will see management approach trades (and signings) differently.  But for now, and since our owner bought the team, this is the insisted upon path.  IMHAO we will soon extend Bo, and in the summer sign Petey to a very big contract.  And maybe this core five, with a much improved supporting cast, can win?  Gillis did it.  

1 hour ago, 112 said:

I don't know where to put this, but I just want someone to know that I am dearly proud of a lifelong friend, Sheldon Dries, who has finally made his break into NHL stardom.

Represent us. You have legions on your back, mate. _/

This is wholesome. I like it. 

• Huggy Bear 1

15 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Wow, I'm a little surprised to see Leonard and especially Moore as high as they are. But apparently this NTDP is putting up one of it's best records in the history of the program, and they're something like 15-4 against NCAA teams. Keep in mind this is a team of 17 year olds, and last week I watched them feast on Mercyhurst, who the commentator mentioned has an average age of over 22. Granted the defense and goaltending are very strong, but considering the forward depth is pretty average, that should tell you just how good these top four forwards are.

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Well With Horvat and Kuzmenko traded Canucks should get two 1st right there. Maybe Boeser snags you a late 1st if we take back a bad contract thats expiring or 1 year left. 

If Canucks had 4 first round picks in this deep draft, they have the ability to change their roster going forward and do most of the heavy lifting. Sure next year would suck but we would have the building blocks in place. Not to mention CAP SPACE..

Pearson and Myers contracts up next season which frees up another 10 mill. After that we just have OEL. 

Oh gawd I hope they would do this. Doesn't sound like it's on their agenda but hopefully. What a wonderful feeling that would be. 4 firsts would be so exciting lol.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Well, that explains his skating issues :)

Got to be tiring hauling all those folk on his back.

-He has been a decent pick up for this team. Good on him.

It's the stick tap. Broken ankles all the way to the big leagues. This is the way, lmao.

• Cheers 1

Ok....Just going to make this point now about reaching for a pick, and drafting by position instead of by BPA

I do not advocate reaching more that a couple of spots, and I do agree with taking BPA, but first of all, each team has a somewhat different list, and after Bedard, I would bet nothing is chiseled in stone, as who goes, 2,3,4, or even 5..........Just ask Shane Wright, from last year

I will say this, don't draft out side a tier, unless the players has dropped 

But more importantly, this year, with Vancouver, if moving up as needed........aka if we are in 6th place, and want Smith, go and get him............

This is how NY Rangers got Schneider.............they moved up to get a guy, that might not have been there 4 spots later

I can not remember the Canucks ever doing this........but it may be a time to do just that...............

I don't think anyone is getting Bedard other than the team with the #1 pick over all, but if we want one of Fanitilli, Carson or Smith......I would take the gamble

Same as if we have several other 1st's.....just saying..........move up, if that player we want is there

• Cheers 1

Just one other thing, that always makes me wonder.............

With NHL Clubs spending money like crazy.....................why not go out and get a couple of scouts that are the cream of their scouting fraternity............pay the big bucks for a couple of guys that can actually rank talent..............

7 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Just one other thing, that always makes me wonder.............

With NHL Clubs spending money like crazy.....................why not go out and get a couple of scouts that are the cream of their scouting fraternity............pay the big bucks for a couple of guys that can actually rank talent..............

They had a good one in Brackett and they let him walk cause Benning’s ego got in the way.

Most teams do a good job of not letting good scouts go by promoting them and giving them bigger roles to keep them happy.

Unfortunately we have another GM that still wants to be a scout despite a below average record of finding talent.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Any first coming back is going to be late.  In that range, I like Matthew Wood a lot.  Local guy, good shot, big and uses his size well.

Matt Wood is an epic name. Grinder/TWF extraordinaire.