The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

1 hour ago, YearoftheNuck said:

Is anyone watching this CHL prospects game? A lot of promising looking players. Bedard is of course working his Bedarian magic lol, but I’m really liking the looking of this Colby Barlow kid’s game too. A big strong guy with good hands. 

Barlow is high on Bob Mckenzie list. #8 could see him going higher than Yager. Since Yager is a shoot first C and so so slight.

Im not but is Benson playing with Bedard?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Barlow is high on Bob Mckenzie list. #8 could see him going higher than Yager. Since Yager is a shoot first C and so so slight.

He was and he played well. He scored a beauty late in the game. 

I didn’t watch the game as thoroughly as I would’ve liked to as I was assembling birthday toys for my little ones during most of the game lol, but I noticed Luca Pinelli was a high energy guy who had a lot of looks and I believe he scored as well. He could be a good 2nd or 3rd round pickup. 

And as mentioned before, Barlow looked solid. He actually played on a line with Yager, and even though Yager did clearly look like the high end prospect he is, I personally liked more of what I saw from Barlow. 

Between Barlow, Benson, and Smith (as well as few others who I just haven’t seen enough of yet) it looks like there will be some real gems for us to pick from outside of the big four this year if we don’t get lucky with the lottery. 

• Cheers 1

Went to the Prospects game. To tell the truth, it was kinda boring.

Bedard showed some nice passing but he didn't really put on a show. Nice give and go with Benson. Bad penalty taken with 2 minutes left with his team behind.

Barlow - my first thought was he's the second coming of Ryan Smyth.. Good all-round player, worked the corners, maybe more robust than Smyth. 

Yager was noticeable. Player of the game Rehkopf scored and made some nice moves around the D. Good speed and finesse.

Lind was running over players including the much bigger #77 Mann and he suckered Bedard to take the crosschecking penalty. Played the rat role to perfection. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, stawns said:

I think you can sustain through the draft, but not "rebuild", certainly not anymore if you ever could.

Crosby, Malkin, Fluery  and Letang. 

McKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Makar. 

Stamkos, Hedman Point, Vasilevsky.  

The core of all these cup winning teams built through the draft.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Crosby, Malkin, Fluery  and Letang. 

McKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Makar. 

Stamkos, Hedman Point, Vasilevsky.  

The core of all these cup winning teams built through the draft.

Can't do that now, really, with such ridiculous 2nd contracts.  Bedard will get $10m+ on his second deal.

4 hours ago, stawns said:

Can't do that now, really, with such ridiculous 2nd contracts.  Bedard will get $10m+ on his second deal.

Those are the most recent Stanley Cup winners. So yes, as far the as the available examples show, that's how it works and always has. You make an interesting prediction though. We will see whether you're correct in the future.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Those are the most recent Stanley Cup winners. So yes, as far the as the available examples show, that's how it works and always has. You make an interesting prediction though. We will see whether you're correct in the future.

We'll see I guess.  

• Cheers 1

The NTDP tends to juggle lines around a lot; being a development program first and foremost they tend to try to give everyone opportunities to play up and down the lineup. This year's edition has been some of the most consistent line combinations I can recall seeing from them, at least at forward with:

Gabe Perreault - Will Smith - Ryan Leonard

Austin Burnevik - Oliver Moore - Danny Nelson

Beckett Hendrickson - Charlie Cerrato - Ryan Fine

Salvator Guzzo - Alex Weirmair - Will Vote

Hendrickson and Fine are really growing on me lately. Two guys with a little more projectable frames than the "big four" up front, and both seem to have pretty respectable skill and hockey sense. Hendrickson can really go to work in the corners and he's not just a grinder, he can roll of defenders and make plays into the middle. Fine is a bit more of a finesse player by comparison; seems like the type that does a lot of things well but doesn't really stand out in any particular area.

Their defense combinations have been much more fluid, but the pair I see together most often is the top pairing of Zeev Buium - Aram Minnetian.

9 hours ago, stawns said:

I totally agree that some of the second contracts that are being given hurt teams chances of building a contender. 

Also based only on a season or 2 of both performance and durability they don't make sense.

However hypothetically if we end up with the 1st pick are you suggesting we don't pick Bedard ? 

Even a top 3 pick and don't pick Carlsson or Fantilli ? 

I remember all the " hype" around Slafkovsky going into last year's draft, how with his size and skill he was gonna make an impact in the NHL straight away. 

10 points in 39 games and - 13. 

Nothing is certain.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I totally agree that some of the second contracts that are being given hurt teams chances of building a contender. 

Also based only on a season or 2 of both performance and durability they don't make sense.

However hypothetically if we end up with the 1st pick are you suggesting we don't pick Bedard ? 

Even a top 3 pick and don't pick Carlsson or Fantilli ? 

I remember all the " hype" around Slafkovsky going into last year's draft, how with his size and skill he was gonna make an impact in the NHL straight away. 

10 points in 39 games and - 13. 

Nothing is certain.

hqdefault.jpg

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, R3aL said:

Nope. Benson plays withe ice

21 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

Is anyone watching this CHL prospects game? A lot of promising looking players. Bedard is of course working his Bedarian magic lol, but I’m really liking the looking of this Colby Barlow kid’s game too. A big strong guy with good hands. 

I like him too. Gonna be this years McTavish. Another player that stuck out for me and has been all year is Matteo Mann. 

• Cheers 1

On 1/24/2023 at 1:54 PM, garthsbutcher said:

If the Nux can acquire another mid or late first round pick id love for them to take local Kid Andrew Crystall, lightiing up the Whl , on the smaller side but this kid has a non stop motor.

And he is a shit show in his own zone. Granted he has gotten better as of late but still needs alot of work. Positive though s this guy might be the best playmaker in the draft. He can thread the Puck to the high danger zone.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

The NTDP tends to juggle lines around a lot; being a development program first and foremost they tend to try to give everyone opportunities to play up and down the lineup. This year's edition has been some of the most consistent line combinations I can recall seeing from them, at least at forward with:

Gabe Perreault - Will Smith - Ryan Leonard

Austin Burnevik - Oliver Moore - Danny Nelson

Beckett Hendrickson - Charlie Cerrato - Ryan Fine

Salvator Guzzo - Alex Weirmair - Will Vote

Hendrickson and Fine are really growing on me lately. Two guys with a little more projectable frames than the "big four" up front, and both seem to have pretty respectable skill and hockey sense. Hendrickson can really go to work in the corners and he's not just a grinder, he can roll of defenders and make plays into the middle. Fine is a bit more of a finesse player by comparison; seems like the type that does a lot of things well but doesn't really stand out in any particular area.

Their defense combinations have been much more fluid, but the pair I see together most often is the top pairing of Zeev Buium - Aram Minnetian.

That lineup is so top heavy. They would be so much if they broke up the first line again.

• Cheers 1