The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

49 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

My wishlist was similar but after watching the playoffs I think the Canucks need Wood or Barlow. I wouldn't complain if we picked Benson, Reinbacher or ASP but big physical forwards is what we need.  

Reinbacher

Benson

Wood

Barlow

ASP

Moore

Dvorsky

Danielson

Simashev 

I doubt Leonard's available at 11.  

Looks good except for Benson. If the guy is a poor skater he better be big and tough. Benson is pretty much Gary Lupul. 

Edited by Alflives

1 hour ago, vancan2233 said:

The Hockey Writers

11. Vancouver Canucks, Axel Sandin Pellikka, RD, Skellefteå AIK (SHL)

With most of the top center prospects all off the board already, I’ve got the Vancouver Canucks building out their right side with Axel Sandin Pellikka (ASP), a Swedish defender with tons of offensive skill. Although Reinbacher would likely fit their needs a bit better, ASP would give them a remarkable one-two punch of slightly undersized, incredibly skilled, offensive defensemen with Quinn Hughes. Adding ASP and Filip Hronek in a matter of months would go a long way in shoring up their right-side depth for the foreseeable future. 

My NHL

Nate Danielson's Player Profile

Tony Ferrari - The Hockey News - Dec. 19th: "Danielson is a stud in transition, effectively moving the puck from the defensive side of the ice to the offensive side of the ice. He sees the ice well, passing east to west or through layers towards the net front."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Dec. 14th: "A steady-eddie type of player who doesn’t jump off the page in any one element. Is consistently playing against the opposition’s best, which limits his ability to produce at elite levels."

Matthew Somma - Smaht Scouting - Nov. 25th: "Danielson is a complete player that can defend, carry the puck, stickhandle through defenses and score. Danielson is still coming into his own offensively and as of right now, that’s what’s holding him back in our rankings."

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - Nov. 15th: "He has the skill and hockey sense to make a lot of plays inside the offensive zone, while also having the NHL body and skating ability to make you think he will be able to make those kinds of plays at higher levels. Danielson can drive the play due to his brain, feet and compete down the middle."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - Nov. 1st: "While his game doesn’t have the dynamism of the other kids in this loaded WHL class, and his production hasn’t taken the step early on this season that you might hope for out of a player his age playing the kind of minutes that he’s playing, most scouts project Danielson as an everyday top-nine NHL center."

Nick Richard - Dobber Prospects - Oct. 20th: "Danielson is a well-rounded center with good size and mobility in the middle of the ice. He can set up his teammates with slick feeds through traffic or finish scoring plays on his own with his heavy release, but he is more efficient than he is flashy in the way that he generates offense."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Oct. 19th: "Versatile player who was given a ton of responsibility as a 16-year-old for Brandon. Plays both ends and wins faceoffs."

Steven - Daily FaceOff - Oct. 3rd: "The team isn’t as strong this year, so a lot of focus will be placed on Danielson to keep this team in the playoff picture. He’s back, healthy, and ready to cause some damage."

Peter Baracchini - The Hockey Writers - Sept. 27th: "He’s always at the centre of the play as it unfolds. He provides great support for his teammates but has the vision to open things up quickly."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - August 8th: "He’s a pro-sized, hardworking pivot who can skate and excels in driving through the middle of the ice and pushing tempo with his energy. And while he’s not a natural scorer, he’s a better shooter than his goal totals last season (a still-respectable 23 in 53) indicate."

Andrew Forbes - The Hockey Writers - August 7th: "He’s a player that can make the perfect passes in tight areas and uses his speed to get around opposing defensemen. While he comes in as one of the more underrated top prospects in this draft, he has a deceptive release that makes him a dangerous player from any area in the offensive zone."

NHL.COM

Kimelman -- Eduard Sale: Finding depth at left wing is an organizational need for the Canucks, whose recent top draft selections have played on the right side: Jonathan Lekkerimaki (2022, No. 15), Danila Klimovich (2021, No. 41) and Vasily Podkolzin (2019, No. 10). Sale, who has high-end puck skills and is a smooth skater, has two seasons of experience playing against older competition in the top Czech league.

Morreale -- Brayden Yager, C, Moose Jaw (WHL): The Canucks need to add depth down the middle after the trade of Bo Horvat, and Yager (5-11, 166) is a good start. He improved his playmaking ability to complement his powerful shot this season, is responsible in all three zones and effective on face-offs. Yager had 78 points (28 goals, 50 assists) in 67 regular-season games and had 16 points (six goals, 10 assists) in 10 WHL playoff games.

The Score

Axel Sandin Pellikka, D, Skelleftea (SHL)

The Canucks would've loved it if Reinbacher fell to them here, but Sandin Pellikka is an excellent consolation prize for an organization in dire need of defensemen - especially right-shooting ones. The 5-foot-11, 181-pounder lacks size, but his offensive creativity and puck-moving ability could make him a special player.

Craig Button

Vancouver Canucks – Axel Sandin-Pellikka

Tankathon 

Eduard Sale 

Daily Faceoff

11. Vancouver Canucks: Axel Sandin Pellikka, D (Skelleftea, SHL)

Sandin Pellikka was one of the best players at the U-18s, further cementing himself as one of the must-watch defensive prospects. There are very few high-end blueliners, so a team like Vancouver might be willing to take a chance on someone who can become a first-pairing defenseman. The Nucks have some decent blueline prospects, but Pellikka would be the best.

I think Danielson might be severely underrated considering his team is terrible.  With better line mates he would have way more points.  He's a sleeper, I don't know about 11 but if the Canucks picked him I'd be more inclined to trust our scouting staff than not.  He has good size, speed, IQ, he just doesn't have line mates able to finish his plays.  

At the end of the day though I think the Canucks are going to identify and draft raw talent.  All the other stuff can be developed like defensive positioning and conditioning, workouts eccetera... like Lekkerimaki they took the one with the most raw talent and then lean heavily on their development staff.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Looks good except for Benson. If the guy is a poor skater he better be big and tough. Benson is pretty much Gary Lupul. 

Or Martian St Louis, you never know.  Benson really hasn't done anything to warrant a plunge in his stock but it's his size that makes me leary.  The safest pick would be Danielson. He didn't have any talent to play with. The worst case scenario is he becomes a 3rd line solid 2 way centre. But with an 11th OA you can go 2 ways, swing for the fences and lean on your development staff hard or pick safe.  I'm glad I'm not drafting 

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Moore if he puts on weight could be a Dylan Larkin type. If he doesn't he's Alex Turcotte.  

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

I think Danielson might be severely underrated considering his team is terrible.  With better line mates he would have way more points.  He's a sleeper, I don't know about 11 but if the Canucks picked him I'd be more inclined to trust our scouting staff than not.  He has good size, speed, IQ, he just doesn't have line mates able to finish his plays.  

At the end of the day though I think the Canucks are going to identify and draft raw talent.  All the other stuff can be developed like defensive positioning and conditioning, workouts eccetera... like Lekkerimaki they took the one with the most raw talent and then lean heavily on their development staff.  

I think I'd rather have Danielson than Wood........his less than stellar skating skills make him.a risky pick at #12 and they to get a hit on this pick 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

I won't be upset if they take DR or ASP, but it's much riskier, imo.

Agreed.  All 3 of the RHD (Willander inc.) are a risk if they're there at 11.  

Rankings seems to all differ after the top 3-5.  I could definitely see teams reaching for a player they like and having someone great fall into our lap a-la Hughes.

8 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Agreed.  All 3 of the RHD (Willander inc.) are a risk if they're there at 11.  

Rankings seems to all differ after the top 3-5.  I could definitely see teams reaching for a player they like and having someone great fall into our lap a-la Hughes.

This draft reminds me of the 2019 draft. When Soderstrom a rhd was drafted #11 and Boldy was drafted #12.  Is ASP thIs drafts Soderstrom and is Wood this years Boldy?  Canucks need to be careful, we need this pick to hit.

• Thanks 1

Dream draft and scenario:

TRADE: 

VAN trades pick 1 (11) to CHI for picks 1 (19) and 2 (44)

1 (19). Tom Willander, RHD, Rogle J20

2 (44). Gracyn Sawchyn, C, Seattle Thunderbirds

3 (75). Jesse Kiiskinen, RW, Pelicans

3 (91). Andrew Gibson, RHD, Sault St. Marie

Focused on need and high potential players. Willander feels like he fits what the Canucks need and compliments the future blue line beautifully. Brings intelligent two-way play with a lot of potential growth. Sawchyn is a high-end offensive playmaker with the right-handedness the team will need. Kiiskinen is one of the youngest players in the draft and would be great value found in the 3rd. Gibson would be a pipe dream, but great two way defenseman that played well at the U-18’s, and is good and not great with everything.

Edited by DudePerfect

3 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Moore if he puts on weight could be a Dylan Larkin type. If he doesn't he's Alex Turcotte.  

So if he doesn't put on weight his career will be derailed by injury and Concussions ?

Like Alex's has.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

It's not his injuries or his concussions, it's his AHL production.  When healthy he's not producing. 

He has not had a consistent run in the AHL, he has been injured, came back, got concussed. 

https://hockeyroyalty.com/2023/03/28/la-kings-prospect-update-week-3-20/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=la-kings-prospect-update-week-3-20

The Canucks were apparently interested in him last year. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-garland-kings-targets-2022-trade-deadline/

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/young-centre-canucks-target-miller-trade

" Injuries have largely hampered his development, but there is still a lot to like about his fast paced , two game " 

As I stated injuries have derailed his development, if he can get and stay healthy he still has the potential to be an impact player in the NHL.

12 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

I'm becoming more and more convinced that Carlsson and But are both centers in the NHL.

I think it's also likely Smith, Leonard, Moore will all be centers.

Wood, Honzek, Perreault, Benson I'm less convinced about.

Who are the best gems born late in the year? 

7 hours ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

2024 has hometown kid and superfan of the Canucks Macklin Celebrini. Next year should be our last tank year while most of the bad money comes off the books.

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Lekkerimaki

Hoglander - Celebrini - Mikheyev 

Podkolzin - Raty - Klimovich

Sorry, play offs next season. The tank years are gone for a long time.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

16 hours ago, R3aL said:

i didn’t see those games at all the ones you saw in person but did it look like they gameplanned to shut Benson down really targeting him? 

I wouldn't say that, no. He played mostly on a line with Matt Savoie so they couldn't focus on one or the other. The Blades just played a tight-checking game, clogged up the middle and cut down on time and space. Their coach was named WHL Coach of the Year, by the way.

15 hours ago, R3aL said:

But a Centre! Tell me more.

I really only have seen some highlights 

OK well, less convinced about him than I am about Carlsson as a center. Carlsson has been centering Sweden's top line at this Men's World Championship, between Lucas Raymond and Jonaten Berggren. I was very early on the Carlsson hype train and also the Carlsson center train, so loving to see him play such a huge role for Sweden and arguably outperform Fantilli on this big stage.

Compared to Wood and Honzek, about whom there's been a lot of talk as potential centers, I prefer But's 200 foot hockey IQ, as well as his playmaking and distribution through the middle of the ice.

Here's a few clips of him carrying through the neutral zone, the first two from the 2021 Hlinka gold medal game, where he was under-aged (#25), and the next two from a game late this MHL regular season (#50). Be sure to watch the 4th clip through to the end; features some nifty hands in tight space and leads eventually to a goal.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2