Barby Miller Brock

Joshua Laughton Podz

PDG Aman UFA

Hughes Dumba

Graves Hronek

OEL Schenn

but what about Danielson?

11 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

I was thinking about who you go with btw Moore/Danielson.  Both are similar yet very different if that makes any sense. 

You saying Moore’s rock bottom is 2C is very interesting. Him and Reinbacher were my two top selects at #11 if avail (and if you bypass Benson).  

And youve got Dvorsky rated even higher.  

This draft is going to be bananas looking back on it. 

It's funny, only a few weeks ago some were saying there would be no defenceman in the top, now with Willander`s stock skyrocketting there could be as many as 4.  There can be only 10 in the top 10.  If Willander goes before our turn we could be looking at a Dvorsky or Moore being available. Something's got to give.  

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

What Will Smith did against his peers in the U18's was impressive but I do t think it compares to what Fantilli did agAinst men in both the NCAA and in the Worlds for Canada.  

Will Smith's 29 points in 16 games against NCAA DI opponents works out to 1.8125, almost identical but just ahead of Fantilli's 1.80556.

Smith is only 5 months younger than Fantilli, but Fantilli is a full year of development ahead of Smith - Fantilli had already played two seasons of USHL coming into this year, while Smith had played one.

You could argue that Will Smith had the benefit of playing with his all-star linemates, but all three were boys against men, Smith was the primary play-driver, and Fantill was surrounded by the likes of Luke Hughes, Seamus Casey, Mackie Samoskevich, Rutger McGroarty, Gavin Brindley.

You could also argue that these are considered exhibition games by the college players so they're not treating them like legit games, but the NTDP players sure consider them real, and you know the college players aren't looking to get embarrassed by a bunch of cocky high school kids. I believe this was the best record ever by an NTDP program against DI teams, going 13-3.

Another argument would be that Fantilli for the most part played against better teams in the Big Ten than some of the teams Smith and the NTDP played. This one I think would be the best argument. The NTDP sets it up so they play a mix of some pretty good and some not so good DI teams, but Smith did have good games against some tough teams, putting up 2 points (0+2) against 11th ranked Michigan Tech, 3 points (2+1) against 12th ranked Michigan State, 2 points (0+2) against 22nd ranked RIT, 2 points (0+2) agaisnt 4th ranked BU.

I dunno, kinda just playing devil's advocate. Food for thought.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 1

I'm seeing a tier forming with a lot of mock drafts after Michkov/Smith and that's the Leonard, Dvorsky, Reinbacher and Benson tier not necessarily in that order but they're the names that pop up the most in that bracket, which brings us to 9.  Between 10-14 is where Willander, Moore, ASP, Barlow, Simeshev and Danielson.  Unfortunately the Blues will get the first crack at that next tier but we will at the very least get one of these players. I wouldn't be surprised at all if 5`11 and under players dropping in the draft. Players like Ryan Leonard aren't a guarantee to be picked in that tier.  But like I said before scouts don't draft players they just scout.  It's the GMs that pick the player.  Anyone after Smith can go anywhere.  

Edited by Pure961089

4 hours ago, JamesB said:

Good comments. I don't pretend to have any inside knowledge. But the "book" on Moore is very impressive.

1. Regarded as the probably the best skater in the draft -- top speed, acceleration, and mobility all top the charts. Its weird but some scouts have his "weakness" as being "too fast" because he gets ahead of his line-mates.

2. Hard worker, excellent motor, very good shot, very good playmaker

3. Put up very good numbers this season despite being pushed down to the second line (as Smith was 1C on the USDP team).

4. Most draft boards have him ahead of Danielson..

The trade-off is that Danielson is bigger, stronger, and better defensively but not quite as good in the offensive zone. And, while Danielson is a very good skater it is always nice to have the fastest guy on the ice if you can.

But I do like Danielson and would have no problem with taking him even if Moore is still on the board.  In fact, on reflection, I lean in that direction.

Ya its his number one issue. Almost like Raymond he takes himself out of plays, or he doesn't harness his speed wisely.

Which could be line mates / system related or it could be his IQ.

In an interview he himself acknowledged hes working on his IQ and learning how to use his speed smarter.

Like he skates himself into danger or into a dead end play with no support at times. Or literally into the boards/corner.

I also find hes not the best puck carrier similar to Mason Raymond again in that regard.

Whereas say Nate Danielson knows how to use his speed effectively and usually pulls defenders into him to make space for his line mates.

And Nate didn't work with the most talented line mates or team so I think it is an IQ difference between them that almost negates the marginal speed difference. I think Nate is a very effective and fast skater.

-

His shot is kind of a strength and a weakness I think. In close it looks good, like quick and accurate but from distance I dont see it. Maybe with power / strength training that will come quick though.

Second line he also go softer matchups to exploit. And I happened to watch him play some really uninspiring games that really left a bad impression I haven't been able to fully shake for him.

I do like his progression path in front of him if hes given lots of patience. I think he needs years before coming to the NHL. Like he needs a year or two at the NCAA after Cooley leaves to be the GUY for the first time in his career.

And then you are looking at a guy who has been kind of sheltered for many development years that top end guys, or playing high up on lineups getting the hard matchups.

I know its not a popular opinion but it is mine that Danielson > Moore.

Thanks for that I appreciate the response. I am hoping it isn't just a bias now I have between the two and that I am seeing things clearly.

But end of the day I like Moore too. I am just more worried about his Hockey IQ than anything else.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

It's funny, only a few weeks ago some were saying there would be no defenceman in the top, now with Willander`s stock skyrocketting there could be as many as 4.  There can be only 10 in the top 10.  If Willander goes before our turn we could be looking at a Dvorsky or Moore being available. Something's got to give.  

I don't think so.  I still think a fjan in the top 10 is unlikely.

2 hours ago, NuckLuck19 said:

Whomever started this "sutter comparison" has clearly never seen him play, doesn't look at stats, and certainly doesn't look at the percentage of goals he was in on for his team.

I've stated above, Sutter never had a ppg in junior, in both of his last 2 years Danielson was over a ppg.

Danielson was on a weak team (win percentage of .448) and was in on 37% of their goals (and led his team in scoring). As a comparsion Zach Benson who is 5'9" and on a powerhouse team, the highest scoring team in the WHL, and had a 0.846 win percentage was in on 30% of his teams goals

I think that shows Danielson is not "Sutter"

Lazy comparisons to former/current Canucks are not uncommon around here. For example, if someone says that a prospect has a power element to his game or is a blazing fast skater, you'll always have that one simpleton in the deck who will refer to him as Virtanen 2.0. :frantic:

• Cheers 2

2022 Top 15 Draft Prospects ranked in order (and where they were drafted)

Rank. Player (Drafted)

1. Wright (4)

2. Slafkovsky (1)

3. Cooley (3)

4. Nemec (2)

5. Gauthier (5)

6. Jiricek (6)

7. Lekkerimaki (15) - Canucks got a steal

8. Kemell (17) - so did Nashville

9. Nazar (13)

10. Korchinski (7)

11. Savoie (9)

12. Kasper (8)

13. Mintyukov (10)

14. Geekie (11)

15. Ohgren (19)

2022 was a pretty wild draft, right from pick #1, but I have a feeling 2023 will be just as all over the place. Some players will drop and some players will rise up the ranks and be taken early, like Korchinski, Savoie, Kasper, Mintyukov and Geekie last year.  

Outside of the Top 10 right now, my guess: Perreault, Wood, Sandin Pellikka and Barlow are taken earlier.  ASP and Wood get into the Top 10 on Draft Day.

Who drops out of the Top 10?  My guess: Moore and Danielson.

For reference, I'm using the MyNHLDraft site

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Rank. Player (Drafted)

1. Wright (4)

2. Slafkovsky (1)

3. Cooley (3)

4. Nemec (2)

5. Gauthier (5)

6. Jiricek (6)

9. Nazar (13)

10. Korchinski (7)

11. Savoie (9)

12. Kasper (8)

13. Mintyukov (10)

14. Geekie (11)

15. Ohgren (19)

2022 was a pretty wild draft, right from pick #1, but I have a feeling 2023 will be just as all over the place. Some players will drop and some players will rise up the ranks and be taken early, like Korchinski, Savoie, Kasper, Mintyukov and Geekie last year.  

Outside of the Top 10 right now, my guess: Perreault, Wood, Sandin Pellikka and Barlow are taken earlier.  ASP and Wood get into the Top 10 on Draft Day.

Yup. These top picks are guys that the scouts are trying to project which ones will be the most impactful when they teach the end of their runway of development. Some guys like Wright and Slafkovsky are already near the ends of their runways of development. They matured early. Lekkerimaki has a long runway still ahead of him. He’s going to be a very impactful player when he’s 23. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Lazy comparisons to former/current Canucks are not uncommon around here. For example, if someone says that a prospect has a power element to his game or is a blazing fast skater, you'll always have that one simpleton in the deck who will refer to him as Virtanen 2.0. :frantic:

Virtanen had a ton of skill but he was rushed and wasn't developed properly,  a lot of his mistakes could have been coached put of him , that being said he still had a hockey IQ problem.  The physicality that we were promised from Virtanen we will get with Podkolzin and Klimovich. Both are being developed properly and when they're  ready they'll bring a physical dimensioned this team doesn't currently have.  I'm pulling for Klim and Podkolzin to have a big season next year.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

Conor Bedard:

"He (Danielson) was probably the guy that maybe gave me the hardest game," Bedard said. "He's so fast, so skilled. So if you turn it over or something, he's going to go down and do something. He's a great player."

Doesnt really sound like Sutter to me imo.

Sutter was also very skilled- he was a monster in shootouts

My big concern with Danielson is still his production in the WHL

Its a HUGE jump from the WHL to NHL, so if your numbers in your draft year are "decent", I have my doubts. 

Danielson is 6'2 185lbs, and put up 1.14 points per game

Benson is 5'9 and 165lbs and put up 1.63 points per game

For context, Danielson's numbers are on par with Dragicevic who is a 6'2 defenseman the same age. 

I really really don't want our management to be the ones trying to play it safe, and ending up with a 3C from their 1st round pick in a historically deep draft, when there's so many potential gamebreakers available. 

Allvin needs to put on his big boy pants, do it the way Vegas did, step up to the roulette table, and start gambling. High risk, high return. Boom, bust. All or nothing. We either get a 1st line calibre player from our 1st round pick, or a guy who doesnt play at all. 

33 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Rank. Player (Drafted)

1. Wright (4)

2. Slafkovsky (1)

3. Cooley (3)

4. Nemec (2)

5. Gauthier (5)

6. Jiricek (6)

9. Nazar (13)

10. Korchinski (7)

11. Savoie (9)

12. Kasper (8)

13. Mintyukov (10)

14. Geekie (11)

15. Ohgren (19)

For reference, I'm using the MyNHLDraft site

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Interesting parallels can be seen with this years draft.  The only reason Savoie dropped to 11th was his size.  

There is all this talk about whether Danielson has top-6 upside or if he will peak as a 3rd line centre, but it's important to bear in mind that he is a premium asset, being a right-handed center with size. Ask yourselves this: If a team like Vegas needed to add a player like him at the deadline to help them compete for a cup, how much would it cost them? Simply, it would be very expensive. Much like acquiring a RHD, it makes a ton of sense to add a player like Danielson through the draft.

• Like 1