The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

2 minutes ago, SniperSingh said:

I heard on 650 today (Seravalli) that there's a big misconception going around that Michkov was being difficult by not showing up to the combine / interviews etc.

The actual issue was no Russians were invited, I guess due to politics, but he's the only one being talked about as he's ranked so high.

He will be at the draft and is interviewing with teams prior (as are all the other russian players in the first / second round).

There's that, but there have also been reports for awhile now with NHL scouts in Russia having concerns with his character and difficulty meeting with him before that. And if they can't actually get any in-person interviews now, its hard to judge that for themselves.

Factor that in with his contract status and the current geopolitical situation in Russia and I would not be at all surprised if he slid. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, SniperSingh said:

Weird how a guy so powerful can have a muffin shot, that can be fixed though. Especially when you have size. Gonchar 2.0 would be nice!

People really underestimate how much of your shot speed is based on your technique rather than your strength. If he learns to shoot with flexion it will improve. 

Edited by McBackup
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, SniperSingh said:

Oh interesting, didn't know that. Maybe he's trying to angle to a team he wants to go to by being difficult? Or maybe he's just difficult! hahah...

Regardless, that would definitely raise red flags. You'd want a kid who's happy to be drafted and will commit to you long term. No one wants to be in a Tkachuk situation after 4-5 years.

That's the rumour. Interesting write up here in THN.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/washington-capitals/takes/washington-capitals-andrei-nikolishin-scout-concerns-matvei-michkov-nhl-draft

The Capitals Russian scout, who out of anyone in the league shouldn't be biased against a Russian phenom prospect, had this quote which raises serious alarm bells:

"Full-fledged information is collected about the player: how he talks to partners, how he communicates with coaches, how he behaves off the ice. Many nuances can be revealed," Nikolishin told the Slippery Ice Podcast last week, as translated by Google Translate. "I can show correspondence when I wanted to meet him and, as a scout, ask a few questions and do an interview... I have not seen such disrespect for other people in my life."

"For me, he's first or second [based on skill]," Nikolishin added. "But in character, in relation to teammates, coaching staff, management, fans -- a person has now fallen very low in the eyes of all scouts, all managers."

Again, all hearsay. But I wouldn't be shocked if he's there for the Canucks at 11, and at that point it leaves them with a serious conundrum if they can't sit down with the kid and get a serious read on him before the draft. 

1 minute ago, SniperSingh said:

hmm...capitals scout? Have to wonder if he's trying to bad mouth him so he falls? And maybe Michkov wants to fall to them? I'd be surprised he'd be so dismissive to Ovie's team. I would "assume" ovie is a hero to him.

Anyways, I take this with a grain of salt as there may be some 'jockeying' going on here.

Right like I said its all smoke and mirrors. But there have apparently been multiple scouts with similar stories, and it really makes no sense for a team employee to badmouth someone they want to join their organization, in Russian. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Well that's part of he complaint, the Canucks throw away draft picks like candy, and Buffalo has had a few homeruns in the late first rounds but they've stock piled picks because that organization places more importance in their picks. They've had multiple 1st rounders the last few years.  Tage Thompson developed slowly and he was a late first rounder but that's because Buffalo haven't rushed their prospects like we have.  Kulich was drafted #28th overall and that was their second 1st rounder last year.  But then again they're doing a proper rebuild and will certainly win a cup before we do.  And it's largely due to our hit and miss drafting.  We do the opposite of Buffalo, we scratch and claw for every meaningless point we can find when the games don't matter.  The Canucks have 2 stars they've drafted in the last decade.  You'd think with how bad this team has been we would have more to show for it.  

How long has it been since Sabbres did anything in the play offs?

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

9 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Well that's part of he complaint, the Canucks throw away draft picks like candy, and Buffalo has had a few homeruns in the late first rounds but they've stock piled picks because that organization places more importance in their picks. They've had multiple 1st rounders the last few years.  Tage Thompson developed slowly and he was a late first rounder but that's because Buffalo haven't rushed their prospects like we have.  Kulich was drafted #28th overall and that was their second 1st rounder last year.  But then again they're doing a proper rebuild and will certainly win a cup before we do.  And it's largely due to our hit and miss drafting.  We do the opposite of Buffalo, we scratch and claw for every meaningless point we can find when the games don't matter.  The Canucks have 2 stars they've drafted in the last decade.  You'd think with how bad this team has been we would have more to show for it.  

Demko?

• Cheers 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

7 hours ago, McBackup said:

That's the rumour. Interesting write up here in THN.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/washington-capitals/takes/washington-capitals-andrei-nikolishin-scout-concerns-matvei-michkov-nhl-draft

The Capitals Russian scout, who out of anyone in the league shouldn't be biased against a Russian phenom prospect, had this quote which raises serious alarm bells:

"Full-fledged information is collected about the player: how he talks to partners, how he communicates with coaches, how he behaves off the ice. Many nuances can be revealed," Nikolishin told the Slippery Ice Podcast last week, as translated by Google Translate. "I can show correspondence when I wanted to meet him and, as a scout, ask a few questions and do an interview... I have not seen such disrespect for other people in my life."

"For me, he's first or second [based on skill]," Nikolishin added. "But in character, in relation to teammates, coaching staff, management, fans -- a person has now fallen very low in the eyes of all scouts, all managers."

Again, all hearsay. But I wouldn't be shocked if he's there for the Canucks at 11, and at that point it leaves them with a serious conundrum if they can't sit down with the kid and get a serious read on him before the draft. 

Lol this is a 

“hey guys he’s really bad don’t take him, trust me, he sucks, let him fall, we can take one for the team and pick him at number 8 heh, just wanna save all you guys from picking a bad player” 

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Lol this is a 

“hey guys he’s really bad don’t take him, trust me, he sucks, let him fall, we can take one for the team and pick him at number 8 heh, just wanna save all you guys from picking a bad player” 

Habs should take Michkov. They don’t have a superstar to excite their club. The first four guys will go. And the Habs will have Michkov there. But the Habs won’t take Michkov. They have the same duo drafting now that was so bad in round one in New York. And their first pick with the Habs looks like a bustaroo. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I can see Michkov being taken by ARI with pick #12, and then him deciding not to report. 

I hope the Canucks steer clear

Danielson

Dvorsky

Willander

Reinbacher

Simashev

If Michkov ends up being a bad pick, for whatever reason, it will be the Habs who waste 5OA on him. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Lol this is a 

Sure, and the CIA really is trying to steal the brainwaves of that shirtless guy down by the gas station who is covered in pockmarks. 

29 minutes ago, McBackup said:

Sure, and the CIA really is trying to steal the brainwaves of that shirtless guy down by the gas station who is covered in pockmarks. 

If I was the Washington Capitals

And I had a scout on my payroll in Russia

i would 100% be badmouthing the guy I wanna pick

They're gonna have to sell this really hard if hes gonna drop to 8th

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

If I was the Washington Capitals

And I had a scout on my payroll in Russia

i would 100% be badmouthing the guy I wanna pick

They're gonna have to sell this really hard if hes gonna drop to 8th

Nevermind that it isn't just the capitals scout 

You would have your employee bad mouth someone you want to hire in some nothing podcast in a language other than English in a country on the other side of the world in the hopes it Rube Goldbergs his way onto your team.

Sound business strategy. Its crazy that no team has ever considered shit talking players they want to acquire in public before acquiring them. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, McBackup said:

We might be the worst team in the entire league over that stretch. Like Buffalo. 

Yeah. I hope at some point in time we can actually build a team correctly and actually acquire picks, or simply use our own, before spending to the cap. That's how smart teams do it and something we haven't ever done in this franchise's history, especially since spending to the cap was allowed by the owners. Sigh :sadno: Wouldn't it be nice to have quality prospects always developing?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

25 minutes ago, McBackup said:

Nevermind that it isn't just the capitals scout 

You would have your employee bad mouth someone you want to hire in some nothing podcast in a language other than English in a country on the other side of the world in the hopes it Rube Goldbergs his way onto your team.

Sound business strategy. Its crazy that no team has ever considered shit talking players they want to acquire in public before acquiring them. 

"Hey scout, youre having a hard time reaching Michkov? Play it up a bit, talk about it in your next interview"

No more far-fetched than teams being strategic about which prospects they take to dinner to avoid tipping their hand about who they wanna pick

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

So, no AHL for him this year I guess.

He put up a great performance against his peers at the u18s while being one of the younger players in the tournament.  

His weaknesses are magnified playing against men, so a stint in the SHL with sheltered minutes could be the right stepping stone for his development.  Maybe a year in the AHL after that, and he could be ready to jump into a middle 6 role depending on the team that drafts him.

Edited by TheQuietQuitter
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

"Hey scout, youre having a hard time reaching Michkov? Play it up a bit, talk about it in your next interview"

No more far-fetched than teams being strategic about which prospects they take to dinner to avoid tipping their hand about who they wanna pick

You’re right, that’s surely how it works. 

The Canucks should call Bedard an ugly dwarf and say he personally set off the 2011 riot, that way he’ll drop to us at 11.

• Haha 2