The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

37 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Here's my hot take on Sale, since it's so close to the draft it will hopefully get forgotten quickly. ;)

I know you keep going back on Sale and wondering what it is everyone sees. The thing is with him being Czech, and playing in the men's league there he kind of gets forgotten about. We look at Benson, or Woods, and people question their skating ... next day there are 20 articles published, people are asking their coaches from junior, skating coaches, teacher's, friend's, Bedard, etc., then we get info on these guys, told it's inconsequential or being addressed, and feel we're better informed. With these Czech's and even formerly Slovak, Russian's, German's etc., I sometimes just bump up the top guys a little bit due to lack of information. One thing I do know is the Czech's are a tough out, and a strong hockey nation. Their best often go unnoticed I find until you see a guy come out of nowhere to be better than his peers, or a player I vaguely remember from world jnrs. I mean there is a big difference between playing in North America junior or college hockey, and playing in the Czech men's league at 17.  I have a feeling a lot of his teammates who are fighting to put bread on the table don't give two shakes about how good this kid may or will be, and neither do the reporters there to some extent. Not the way we do over here anyway. Like Simashev, it's hard to get a good read when you don't have all the information you are used to having.

Pretty scientific eh? Even funnier is when I decided to check out who this Sale was, as he was always seemingly rated at the 7th overall draft position, where we hovered for a good portion of the year. Anyways when I checked out the footage I kept looking for him and didn't identify him on the ice but I thought, my goodness, this Chalet player they mention every other second is really, really good. :lol: Haha, true story. My eyesight for reading nametags is not great. Long story short, the little bits of footage I saw, especially with his peers he simply dominated the ice with his ability to read the play, know exactly where to be, and be involved in nearly every single play. Looked a notch above everyone on the ice. His speed and skill at that size is enticing if he adds some weight, which seems logical in this case.

Hahahah who is this CHALET FELLA 

Excited Gold GIF

I love moments Like that ahah 

ya I see what you are saying and I like the perspective. I’m safe my view of him is a bus based off a limited viewing. So it might just not be a fair view of him. So I’m not confident at all at projecting him forward. 

How high do you rank him? 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

650 sports net says a lot of talk around NSH and VAN with trade proposals such as:

To VAN

15 OA

46 OA

To NSH

Garland 

11OA

Or 

To VAN

Fabbro

15 OA

late pick

To NSH

11 OA 

Garland

I love the first one actually, solves so many problems and at 15 one of wood, Danielson, Barlow, simashev, benson, Wallander will be there at 15

I’m literally just listening to this and reading your message so funny. The timing of it. I’m not fully convinced about fabbro but maybe he could fit a role or partner with Hughes in a way that worked. 

I’d be open to that trade as long as the draft board falls a way that works out for us.

2 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

650 sports net says a lot of talk around NSH and VAN with trade proposals such as:

To VAN

15 OA

46 OA

To NSH

Garland 

11OA

Or 

To VAN

Fabbro

15 OA

late pick

To NSH

11 OA 

Garland

I love the first one actually, solves so many problems and at 15 one of wood, Danielson, Barlow, simashev, benson, Wallander will be there at 15

When I try to cobble together a roster for next year there’s some serious holes if we don’t move a winger’s contract either full freight or for a D or 3C.  

I’m not an NHL GM but it seems pretty plain to me even with the OEL buyout we can’t ice a team without a glaring hole without that kind of move.  

This type of trade gives the cap space and either a D or some extra capital to either add to our pool OR spend on an acquisition.

Whether we can pull it off is another whole bag of potatoes but as much as I love the 11OA if management is full steam ahead they need to pull something like this off.

6 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

5 picks in the first 120 selections is pretty good. We should be able to find some gems.

I’m hoping we can draft Juraj Pecarcik, Hannes Hellberg (could be the absolute steal of the draft), Andrew Gibson, Carter Sotheran, and or Dylan Mackinnon.

Hannes Hellberg was eligible for last years draft but he will definitely go in the mid rounds this draft. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Hahahah who is this CHALET FELLA 

Excited Gold GIF

I love moments Like that ahah 

ya I see what you are saying and I like the perspective. I’m safe my view of him is a bus based off a limited viewing. So it might just not be a fair view of him. So I’m not confident at all at projecting him forward. 

How high do you rank him? 

I've probably got him about 14. In my heart I really want to rank him higher but as a Canuck fan I can't justify him over some other selections. I mean it's neck and neck for me with a guy like Wood. I think it's probably more likely Sale is the better player but Wood's size is on another tier if he hits. When it comes to giving a guy the puck through the neutral zone though, or one on one, there is no one else I'd favor before Sale except maybe Leonard. It's a skillset I rate very highly. Danielson has the speed and shot but not the same quality of finesse. He is a center though and a righty to boot so it's close.

It kind of depends how you rank defenceman these days too. If Willander just ends up a somewhat boring but capable 25 pt two way guy is he as valuable as what I've mentioned? It's getting to be a harder question to answer with how hard it is to find good, solid defenders. I don't think this D class is particularly strong though. Outside of Reinbacher who looks very projectible the rest have pretty serious question marks. Some real interesting players in rounds 2-4 range though. Pretty much hoping we take a forward at #11 I guess. In a mock draft I probably have 2 or 3 D going but I think only Reinbacher is a clear top 10, and even that's close.

• Cheers 1

This has been such a wild year of prospect tracking. The list of prospects that I personally really like has grow so much through the year that it’s going to be painful to watch these guys get picked by other teams lol. 

Moore - Early in the year I tagged him as perfect fit for our team. A centre who could eventually enable Miller to move to the wing. And then when we traded Bo, the need for a young C just grew exponentially. 

Reinbacher- Halfway through the year I was all aboard the Reinbacher train and devoured every bit of footage I could find on the guy. I’ve never left that train. 

Barlow - After the CHL top prospects game I was completely sold on Barlow. This is the type of player that helps teams win championships. 

ASP and Willander - After watching the U18s I was so impressed with both of these guys. I kept watching for ASP, and rightfully so as the guy is so slick, but my eyes kept veering to Willander as well, to the point where I found myself conflicted which of these two I’d rather the Canucks target. I’m still torn. 

Dvorsky - Also after watching the U18s I was also insanely impressed by Dvorsky. Actually I think the correct word might just be enamoured. He and Petey down the middle would be electric. 

Simashev and Danielson - Honestly I haven’t seen much of these two at all, but from reading the posts on here, as well as many articles and scouting reports, these two are both sounding like solid pickups to say the least. 

I would be ecstatic if we drafted any of the guys I’ve mentioned above, and then there’s a whole list of players I didn’t even mention that I would be thrilled with as well (I’m not going to both naming the big 5, but if somehow Leonard fell to us that would be unreal, and Benson could be a beauty too, not to mention the big skilled Wood).

This year’s draft is stacked. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

8 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Drafting D in the first round is anyones guess. The Canucks have tried in the past, Bob Daily, Dale Tallon, Guevremont, Lanz, but back then there was no player development in place, and all 4 didn't have very long careers. It's risky even now.

Yeah we need to take a couple more swings there. It's hard when you trade away lots of picks and never load up on them. Then you kind of need to take the more projectible forwards. Guevremont was pure entertainment to watch and I always liked Lanz a lot as a Canuck.

It been fun to follow the prospects and all the various ideas and wishes...

I'm still torn on who to draft, but still leaning towards D.

One thing is for certain though, we are going to draft a player, whom I like, and I will have no issues, what so ever getting behind the player they draft...

This is almost ridiculous how good it looks in the top 20 even.

I do not envy the scouting department trying to figure out, who will be the best 2-5 years down the line, of the prospects available at 11... 

There are going to be a lot of good/great players coming from this draft in the future.

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

Doubt this will happen, but you never know, should be an unpredictable Draft.

If (RDs) Reinbacher and Willander are there at #11, who do you take?

Some feel Reinbacher has the size advantage, but Willander is almost the same size. Plus, Willander is a much better skater and probably smarter too. 

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Some feel Reinbacher has the size advantage, but Willander is almost the same size. Plus he's a much better skater and probably smarter too. 

Willander for me. Reinbacher is the better player now but I feel like over time it could go either way.

The preference for Willander is that he's a better skater & imo better puck handler. I'm always impressed by his ability to the control the puck off a turnover & find the correct play in an instant.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Willander for me. Reinbacher is the better player now but I feel like over time it could go either way.

The preference for Willander is that he's a better skater & imo better puck handler. I'm always impressed by his ability to the control the puck off a turnover & find the correct play in an instant.

Allvin did mention there's a couple of Ds they really like, my guess is that's: Simashev and Willander

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I've probably got him about 14. In my heart I really want to rank him higher but as a Canuck fan I can't justify him over some other selections. I mean it's neck and neck for me with a guy like Wood. I think it's probably more likely Sale is the better player but Wood's size is on another tier if he hits. When it comes to giving a guy the puck through the neutral zone though, or one on one, there is no one else I'd favor before Sale except maybe Leonard. It's a skillset I rate very highly. Danielson has the speed and shot but not the same quality of finesse. He is a center though and a righty to boot so it's close.

It kind of depends how you rank defenceman these days too. If Willander just ends up a somewhat boring but capable 25 pt two way guy is he as valuable as what I've mentioned? It's getting to be a harder question to answer with how hard it is to find good, solid defenders. I don't think this D class is particularly strong though. Outside of Reinbacher who looks very projectible the rest have pretty serious question marks. Some real interesting players in rounds 2-4 range though. Pretty much hoping we take a forward at #11 I guess. In a mock draft I probably have 2 or 3 D going but I think only Reinbacher is a clear top 10, and even that's close.

First public mock I’ve seen have us take sale 

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/2023-nhl-mock-draft-final-predictions-for-all-32-first-round-picks-131849369.html

See I’m super high on Wood that’s tough for me.

Willander really does have the traits of a really good top 4 dman with potential for more. It’s tough taking a d over all of these tantalizing forward prospects though. 

well I do think:

1. Reinbacher

2. Willander

3. Simashev

4. ASP

5. Bonk

6. Guly

7. Lindstein

Are all quality prospects. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Some feel Reinbacher has the size advantage, but Willander is almost the same size. Plus, Willander is a much better skater and probably smarter too. 

Reinbacher. As much as I've come around to Willander, Reinbacher has been my guy most the year so I'm sticking with it.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Allvin did mention there's a couple of Ds they really like, my guess is that's: Simashev and Willander

If we don’t pick Willander I just hope that Detroit doesn’t manage to take him with the NYI pick. He and Seider could be such a deadly one two punch for years to come, and I could definitely see Stevie Y chose him.