The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Below is who I would have selected just for fun if I were in the Canucks shoes, included the picks we traded in the Hronek trade:

11. Matthew Wood

17. ASP***

43. Lukas Dragicevic***

75. Dylan Mackinnon

89. Cole Knuble

105. Arem Mittetian

107. Alex Ciernak

119. Cam Allen

171. Matteo Mann

I really like the Hunter and the Celebrini picks by the Canucks. 

We would have had some real options if we had the 17th and 2nd rounder. I'd go all in on 3 defencemen, something silly like this:

1st - Willander

1st - ASP

2nd - Strbak

Three solid top-4 RDs, surely at least two of them pan out, develop them all, trade the 3rd best guy the way Yzerman traded us Hronek - a young RD is the hottest commodity in the league right now.

More realistically we could have rebuilt our team with something more balanced like this:

1st - Benson

1st - Willander or ASP

2nd - Strbak

Obviously Benson has high bust potential but also, would have pretty much lead the league in scoring if Bedard wasn't there. Moore fell a fair bit too so could have been a nice two-way center pick up.

I'm all for Hronek and understand why we made that deal but boy, there were some good players available with those picks. ASP may eclipse Hronek alone in 2-3 years time.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Below is who I would have selected just for fun if I were in the Canucks shoes, included the picks we traded in the Hronek trade:

11. Matthew Wood

17. ASP***

43. Lukas Dragicevic***

75. Dylan Mackinnon

89. Cole Knuble

105. Arem Mittetian

107. Alex Ciernak

119. Cam Allen

171. Matteo Mann

I really like the Hunter and the Celebrini picks by the Canucks. 

Fun game to play to look back on.

Here's mine:

11. Tom Willander (was getting really hopeful Dvorsky would drop to us but very happy with Willander)

17. Oliver Moore*** (didn't like him at 11 but at 17 would be pretty happy)

43. Maxim Strbak***

75. Hunter Brzustewicz (toss up with Caden Price)

89. Arttu Kärki

105. Jaden Lipinski

107. Aram Minnetian

119. Sam Harris

171. Zeb Forsfjäll

Overall though I like this draft for the Canucks. 

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, BCNate said:

This management group had done a fantastic job of rebuilding our pool of D prospects in the past 12 months:

Johannson- Non Qualifier

Hirose- NCAA

McWard- NCAA

Pettersson- 2022 Draft

Kudryavtsev- 2022 Draft

Walinder- 2023 Draft

Mynio- 2023 Draft

Brzustewicz- 2023 Draft

Celebrini- 2023 Draft

Obviously not all are going to pan out, but adding 9 young D to what was a pretty empty pool is some great work.

They have done a good job but I will say - how many of them are elite? Hirose looked so smooth but not many NCAA guys become elite as such. D-Petey might be a solid defensive guy for us, let's hope a physical Tanev type. Willander was a high pick and our best shot at a future top defenceman to be honest so happy with him. Johannson looked really solid so far in the few AHL games he played and could be a wild-card for a NHL spot in the future.

I'm really happy Allvin has addressed our needs but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Look at the Devil's defensive prospect group. Look at the young guys in Detroit. Look at what Columbus has just done to their defence. Luke Hughes, Nemec, Jiricek, Edvinsson, Seider, Werenski. These teams have such top-end young guys. 

We're slowly getting into that conversation with Hughes, Hronek and Willander but I'm not getting my hopes up with a bunch of the mid to late round picks. If they can be serviceable bottom-4 defencemen for us then great but we've got to focus on getting our big 3 now to the top of their game and surround them by quality complementary defencemen.

17 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Being the team's last pick of the Draft, great story with it being Celebrini. I don't know much about him, but I know his brother (Macklin) is projected to go 1st overall next year. I wonder if this gives Aiden a big boost of confidence and motivation to really up his game moving forward. I love this pick. 

22 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

They have done a good job but I will say - how many of them are elite? Hirose looked so smooth but not many NCAA guys become elite as such. D-Petey might be a solid defensive guy for us, let's hope a physical Tanev type. Willander was a high pick and our best shot at a future top defenceman to be honest so happy with him. Johannson looked really solid so far in the few AHL games he played and could be a wild-card for a NHL spot in the future.

I'm really happy Allvin has addressed our needs but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Look at the Devil's defensive prospect group. Look at the young guys in Detroit. Look at what Columbus has just done to their defence. Luke Hughes, Nemec, Jiricek, Edvinsson, Seider, Werenski. These teams have such top-end young guys. 

We're slowly getting into that conversation with Hughes, Hronek and Willander but I'm not getting my hopes up with a bunch of the mid to late round picks. If they can be serviceable bottom-4 defencemen for us then great but we've got to focus on getting our big 3 now to the top of their game and surround them by quality complementary defencemen.

Its nice that we already have our high skill offensive contributors to build around

Hughes & Hronek

All we need is to surround those guys with stable, physical, shutdown defensemen

I like the Brustewicz pick A LOT. I had him as a 1st round talent. 

After getting over the Benson stuff, it feels to me that they just solidified their D-core for the next decade all in one draft. We should never have to overpay for a top-4 RD again, nor should we have to go into UFA and overpay for a bottom pair defenseman again (like Poolman and Myers)

29 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

We would have had some real options if we had the 17th and 2nd rounder. I'd go all in on 3 defencemen, something silly like this:

1st - Willander

1st - ASP

2nd - Strbak

Three solid top-4 RDs, surely at least two of them pan out, develop them all, trade the 3rd best guy the way Yzerman traded us Hronek - a young RD is the hottest commodity in the league right now.

More realistically we could have rebuilt our team with something more balanced like this:

1st - Benson

1st - Willander or ASP

2nd - Strbak

Obviously Benson has high bust potential but also, would have pretty much lead the league in scoring if Bedard wasn't there. Moore fell a fair bit too so could have been a nice two-way center pick up.

I'm all for Hronek and understand why we made that deal but boy, there were some good players available with those picks. ASP may eclipse Hronek alone in 2-3 years time.

We probably would have gone:

Willander

Barlow

Strbak would have been pretty good.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

correct me if I am wrong.

But Mueller as a DY+2 could have simply been offered a contract right?  Same with Perkins if he didn't go in this draft?  they'd have been essentially free players right?

He would have had to make it through the draft first. About 100 more picks from where he was taken...

Edited by HighOnHockey

5 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Well Mueller, Alrikkson and Perkins over Ciernik

Seeing as he played in Sweden our scouts surely watched him 

I suppose you're right. I thought he played great for a 4th rounder. Out paced Leks and Dvorsky in the all sven. Played great at the wjc20 too

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

This management group had done a fantastic job of rebuilding our pool of D prospects in the past 12 months:

Johannson- Non Qualifier

Hirose- NCAA

McWard- NCAA

Pettersson- 2022 Draft

Kudryavtsev- 2022 Draft

Walinder- 2023 Draft

Mynio- 2023 Draft

Brzustewicz- 2023 Draft

Celebrini- 2023 Draft

Obviously not all are going to pan out, but adding 9 young D to what was a pretty empty pool is some great work.

I was pretty skeptical of management in that first year when they weren't doing anything other than repeating the same Benning talking points. 

But boy ... when they started to make change, like they said they were going to, Allvin and Co. have been impressive. Their decision-making is so much more precise and they obviously have a plan, which you can see with building prospects and their commitment to remaking our D. 

Combine that with moving Bo, getting Hronek, bringing in Tocchet, Gonchar, and Foote, the OEL buyout, they're walking their talk. It really has been impressive. And to think Silovs is just emerging at the same time ... things are looking brighter than the past eight years. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Considering this team is dead last in getting prospects to play in the NHL from 2-7, I think it's fair to be critical of the picks. 

After the fact ya but a lot of the players fans wanted can bust just the same

39 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

1st - Willander

1st - ASP

2nd - Strbak

1st - Benson

1st - Willander or ASP

2nd - Strbak

Stop hurting yourself with thinking of these scenarios... Those picks are gone. 

We will get instant gratification instead ;)

1 minute ago, MikeyD said:

I'd rather go out busting on a high potential pick than with a player of the same risk, but lower potential. 

Willander has high potential as does Hunter Brzustewicz. I’m happy with those picks. The rest are darts and I don’t know much if anything about them 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Devron said:

Willander has high potential as does Hunter Brzustewicz. I’m happy with those picks. The rest are darts and I don’t know much if anything about them 

That's why people are excited about them. 

• Cheers 1

Really happy with our first 3 picks.
Can't really comment on the rest, but I found it weird we drafted a couple over-agers--maybe we think they are further along in development

Edited by Nave