The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

4 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

This is the first USA game in the tournament I've actually been excited about. We're going to learn a lot about some of the top prospects in this one.

Yup, the top line destroyed it in the last game but Sweden is the first proper challenge for them. Sweden's top defencemen vs the USA top line is a great matchup. This is what the tournament is made for, honestly if someone plays out of their socks their draft stock should go sky high.

Keeping an eye on Smith, Leonard, Moore, ASP, Lindstein, Stenberg etc.

Watching ASP elevate his game tonight, I wouldn't be mad if we got him over Reinbacher. Shame we can't compare the two buy boy has ASP made some huge defensive plays against a top USA line tonight already. Teams will be watching, I think he'll go like 6th or 7th overall...

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Watching ASP elevate his game tonight, I wouldn't be mad if we got him over Reinbacher. Shame we can't compare the two buy boy has ASP made some huge defensive plays against a top USA line tonight already. Teams will be watching, I think he'll go like 6th or 7th overall...

Yeah I've been a pretty consistent detractor of Sandin Pellikka throughout the year. Just feel like he's been over-rated from a lot of angles. This has been the best game I've seen him play so far.

Hell of a game for Minnetian so far too.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Yeah I've been a pretty consistent detractor of Sandin Pellikka throughout the year. Just feel like he's been over-rated from a lot of angles. This has been the best game I've seen him play so far.

Hell of a game for Minnetian so far too.

Ditto, I've downplayed him a lot, thought he was too flashy but boy is he owning USA's forwards defensively tonight, smart plays all over the ice.

Really hope we find another 1st or high 2nd to snag one of these many defencemen. Willander, Lidstein, Strbak, Allen etc. have all looked like future top-4 defencemen. Surely one of the latter guys might fall to the high 2nd round.

In a crazy world, instead of acquiring Hronek we could have walked out of the draft with ASP, Reinbacher and Lidstein (very hopeful, more likely Reinbacher, Willander and Bonk).

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, spook007 said:

Lets see how QH fares come play off time. 
He is a fantastic skater and very evasive, but with his size, he needs to have eyes in the back of his head. 
Every year somebody gets nailed. Some legal, some not legal.... 

I hope you are right, cause an average Joe can do a lot of damage to a player like QH.

More chance a player like Myers survive a hit... 

I think Quinn will do fine. Quinn is no shrinking violet. If we got into 90's style full clutch n grab hockey then I think he struggles. But the way the game is played now I'm not too worried about him in the playoffs. Nobodies ended Marchands career yet. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Sandin-Pellika with a sequence of about 5 monster plays. I know Button is so hard for him but wow he is owning the Americans defensively and offensively. Honestly there has to be a discussion about him going top 6 or 7 for what he's doing right now. Massive defensive play, twice in a row, then gets on the PP, toys with USA and sets up the 2nd goal for on a beautiful pass. He's not big but sturdy against these kids and bodies them so well.

Still a lot of game to be played but Smith is invisible right now whereas ASP is owning him. I wouldn't be surprised if ASP goes as high as 5th or 6th after this game. 

These are the games that decide how good you really are and ASP is elevating his game, he looks like an NHLer compared to these kids.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Sandin-Pellika with a sequence of about 5 monster plays. I know Button is so hard for him but wow he is owning the Americans defensively and offensively. Honestly there has to be a discussion about him going top 6 or 7 for what he's doing right now. Massive defensive play, twice in a row, then gets on the PP, toys with USA and sets up the 2nd goal for on a beautiful pass. He's not big but sturdy against these kids and bodies them so well.

Still a lot of game to be played but Smith is invisible right now whereas ASP is owning him. I wouldn't be surprised if ASP goes as high as 5th or 6th after this game. 

These are the games that decide how good you really are and ASP is elevating his game, he looks like an NHLer compared to these kids.

I can see ASP going as high as 5. Wouldn't surprise me if the Sharks are targeting him assuming they drop in the lottery.

• Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'm still not that sold. I've always been impressed with his composure and maturity, it's the reason he looked as solid at U20s as he did. But for me to rank a sub 6' defenseman that high, especially in this draft class, I need to be convinced I see really high end upside. I'm still not sure I see that. To my way of thinking, players who "elevate their game" in big games is actually less about them playing any differently than they normally do, but as things get tighter other players struggle and the players who play the right way just keep playing their game and it keeps working. So I was fully expecting to see Sandin-Pellikka look good in this game. Add to that, I feel like Sweden's overall team play and especially playing with Theo Lindstein have helped Sandin-Pellikka look better than he would have playing with lesser players. I had Sandin-Pellikka 17th coming into the tournament. I'll probably bump him a couple spots into the top 15, but top ten would surprise me.

Lindstein has raised his ranking at this tournament more than ASP for me. I had him late 20s but I think he'll be more like early 20s by my final list.

Edited by HighOnHockey

53 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I think Quinn will do fine. Quinn is no shrinking violet. If we got into 90's style full clutch n grab hockey then I think he struggles. But the way the game is played now I'm not too worried about him in the playoffs. Nobodies ended Marchands career yet. 

Marchand is more sturdy than QH... I hope you are right, cause it would be felt severely if QH got creamed. 
You can never guarentee the safety of any player being targeted, but I'd feel better having a mean bastard (cough Schenn cough) on a pairing with QH, should the roughing get going. Just like I'd like more beef amongst our forward, to do the exactly same to the opposition. 
it has to be a mix if we want to push on. There is no doubt about it. 

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Watching Barlow out there, he's a gritty big boy. You just know Calgary will sign him and he'll be a pest for the next 15 years for us.

If he goes that far I actually expect to see Nashville grab him.  Pairing him with Reid Schaefer would make them just lethal in their division if those two players come to see even half of their potential.

6 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Minnetian with a couple bad turnovers in this one but has shown why I've consistently said this season that he and Gulyayev are the most dynamic defensemen in the draft.

Gulyayev has a very high offensive ceiling. He could end up putting up Tyson Barrie-like numbers (but is hopefully a better defender :lol:).

Reinbacher. Dvorsky, Pelikka, and Wood would be my selections, whoever is available in that order.

Surely at least 1 of them will be available…………

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1