The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We might trade down but that will depend on the forwards who drop because those two D are taken top 10. 

True, maybe a top line centre drops. That would be worth it. And that's the danger of not taking bpa a player like. Benson, Leonard  or Dvorsky drops to us.  If teams take bpa there should be great options available when we pick.

Edited by Pure961089

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He’s listed at a little over 180. So with his body he must have the big lower half that makes for a very sturdy base. He’s likely to fill out to around 190 in a couple years. With his skating that’s a solid player. 

I don't quite think Pellikka is 5'11 he's prob an inch taller than Nils. Maybe he's got trunks like Nils too. Looking forward to the combine. 

Here's Nils 185 lbs combine tested weight and height 5'9.5

nils-hoglander-in-fitness-testing-at-the-canucks-2019-summer-prospect-development-camp

Nils results 

2nd bench press @ 50% body weight

1st tied with 16 Pull ups

8th pro agility left

5th pro agility right

1st peak power output watts Wingate

6th Vo2 max

This is just to demonstrate Nils is an incredible athlete and he still struggles physically at the NHL level as a forward. 

Pellikka physically right now does not to me look close to the NHL. This isn't to say he's a bad pick just that if you expect him to be in the NHL in a year or 2 I think you will need to be more patient. Realistically it will take 3 or so years for him to properly add 15-20 lbs of muscle to his frame.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Axel Sandin Pellikka pic posted on AIK FB Sept 27 2022

No photo description available.

He's not particularly thicc. He is a few years away from being able to physically handle NHL fwds.

Here he is standing with left to right Zeb Forsfjall 5'9 Oskar Vuollet 5'10 Pellikka listed 5'11 

No photo description available.

To be fair Zeb is standing quite a bit forward.

Lol, pretty puny there. Look at those pipe cleaners. He looks no taller than those guys that's for sure. Hmmm, I'd suggest we take a relook at this ASP asap.

Did they win 18 - 2? :shock:

2 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Could contain: Page, Text

I really hope someone takes Dvorsky before us. Imagine squandering one of the most elite drafts in recent history to make a "safe" pick

My opinion is smaller guys are the really mispriced commodity. The NHL is getting smaller, faster, more skilled. A guy like Benson is an elite talent who gets punished because hes short. Look at so many of the huge steals in recent history - DeBrincat, Caufield, Point, etc. all small guys with elite talent who got passed over because "muhhh small". 

And where are the three players you just mentioned right now? Not playing in the playoffs. 

Only 3 of the current top 20 scorers in the playoffs are under 6' and 190lbs. I won't disagree that smaller, faster players are finding success in the regular season but come playoff time it take a very special undersized player to have success. Most are not able to handle the physicality of the playoffs as well as the bigger, stronger players. 

I don't want the canucks to build a regular season team, I want a team built to compete when it matters. 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

He has been the consensus 5th overall pick for basically the entire season 

True, and it's not like he's done anything in particular to warrant his stock to drop.  But I think other players have caught up to him especially after the U18. 5th OA is not a slam dunk for him anymore. There's a long list players 5'9 that always drop on draft day.  Unless of course you're Bedard. 

Edited by Pure961089

6 minutes ago, Highstickin said:

And where are the three players you just mentioned right now? Not playing in the playoffs. 

Only 3 of the current top 20 scorers in the playoffs are under 6' and 190lbs. I won't disagree that smaller, faster players are finding success in the regular season but come playoff time it take a very special undersized player to have success. Most are not able to handle the physicality of the playoffs as well as the bigger, stronger players. 

I don't want the canucks to build a regular season team, I want a team built to compete when it matters. 

I mean.. that sort of implies that failing to make the playoffs was somehow the fault of these guys?

Tampa did make the playoffs, and Point has been a playoff stud for them since 2017

The stat is also a bit misleading because most NHL players are 6 feet or taller. Tampa for example only has 3 players below 6 feet, 2 of which are Point and Kucherov who both are playoff dominant. 

If you surround your small skilled guy with some cheaper size, thats the move in my opinion. But it seems way too much value is put on players that are over 6'2 and 200lbs as 18 year olds

55 minutes ago, Screw said:

Yeah.   I don’t think he would be available at 11.   People were just talking about him slipping.

There are a few mock drafts that have come out recently from respected scouts that have Benson dropping to 12 and 13 

• There it is 1

4 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I mean.. that sort of implies that failing to make the playoffs was somehow the fault of these guys?

Tampa did make the playoffs, and Point has been a playoff stud for them since 2017

The stat is also a bit misleading because most NHL players are 6 feet or taller. Tampa for example only has 3 players below 6 feet, 2 of which are Point and Kucherov who both are playoff dominant. 

If you surround your small skilled guy with some cheaper size, thats the move in my opinion. But it seems way too much value is put on players that are over 6'2 and 200lbs as 18 year olds

I agree. I think you're making a great point here. You absolutely can have success in the playoffs with small skilled players. The key is most successful teams only have a few. Like a Pete, Hughes, Kuzmenko boom done! Then you surround them with monsters. As much as I'm a huge Hoglander, Garland fan. When we look at our top 6 scorers

Kuzz Pete Beau

Garland Miller Brock

We have 1 player who could win a physical battle down low. 

We won't have success in the PO's built like that. 

I think each of Beau Garland Brock should be able to return roughly a 2nd rnd pick. There's approx 15m cap there. If I'm gm I move all 3 at the draft. Shop for a 3C and a shut down D or 2 maybe one or several of them ends up part of those deals.  

If Alvin is successful in accomplishing this sort of re configure I'll throw my full support behind him drafting all the Lekkerimakis he wants. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I agree. I think you're making a great point here. You absolutely can have success in the playoffs with small skilled players. The key is most successful teams only have a few. Like a Pete, Hughes, Kuzmenko boom done! Then you surround them with monsters. As much as I'm a huge Hoglander, Garland fan. When we look at our top 6 scorers

Kuzz Pete Beau

Garland Miller Brock

I think each of Beau Garland Brock should be able to return roughly a 2nd rnd pick. There's approx 15m cap there. If I'm gm I move all 3 at the draft. Shop for a 3C and a shut down D or 2 maybe one or several of them ends up part of those deals.  

If Alvin is successful in accomplishing this sort of re configure I'll throw my full support behind him drafting all the Lekkerimakis he wants. 

Agree on this.

@eeeeergh my point may have been lost in my wording a bit. I was not saying players sub 6' and 190 have no place in the game but with the current construction of the canucks, we cannot keep acquiring small, fast players. We have an abundance of players that fall into the category of small or fast or just simply not physical. Not many on the roster have all those characteristics but the reality is we lack players with size that play at their size. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Thinking about future playoffs gamers, players that wouldn't mind getting their hands dirty to win games. Forwards only.

I would be thrilled with Leonard or Moore, but they could both be gone by #11.

Barlow, Wood and Ritchie could all turn out to be valuable playoff performers one day.

There could be more guys, I haven't really watched Danielson or Honzek play yet, but maybe they could also be added to this list. 

Not certain I'm sold on: 

Benson

Sale

Yager

Cristall

Perreault 

All very skilled, smart players, but when fists start flying in the post season and the games amp up with physical play, will these players struggle?

Edited by NUCKER67

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Thinking about future playoffs gamers, players that wouldn't mind getting their hands dirty to win games. Forwards only.

I would be thrilled with Leonard or Moore, but they could both be gone by #11.

Barlow, Wood and Ritchie could all turn out to be valuable playoff performers one day.

There could be more guys, I haven't really watched Danielson or Honzek play yet, but maybe they could also be added to this list. 

Not certain I'm sold on: 

Benson

Sale

Yager

Cristall

Perreault 

All very skilled, smart players, but when fists start flying in the post season and the games amp up with physical play, will these players struggle?

Benson is a tough little nut. High compete. Big motor. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Kuzz Pete Beau

Garland Miller Brock

We do have Mika in the top 6 as well, but yes we need more beef up front. 

I'm sure they are still shopping Garland/Beau and probably Brock as we speak... A lot of money for players that haven't been able to get it done... in prime positions.

Preferably Garland as Beau is gone soon anyway.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

if both Reinbacher and ASP are gone, then there are going to be some superb players who've dropped to 11.

Reinbacher is my guy this draft, but I hope 2 defensemen do go in the top 10. I believe this is almost no chance David falls, so I'd rather see a forward get pushed down a slot with someone like the blues reaching for ASP

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Reinbacher is my guy this draft, but I hope 2 defensemen do go in the top 10. I believe this is almost no chance David falls, so I'd rather see a forward get pushed down a slot with someone like the blues reaching for ASP

I think probably Rein ASP Dvorsky go

leaving us a choice of Barlow, Wood, Sale, Benson, Heidt, Perrault, Cristall, Moore. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Been listening to a lot of scouting podcasts/interviews from Shane Malloy, Chris Peters, and Corey Pronman.

A name they said to keep an eye on is Tom Willander. Swedish RHD, 6'1 179lbs. Played 30 mins at the Ivan Hlinka tourney for Sweden. Scouted to be an all-around two way dman. Corey Pronman saying he is a minute munching dman who plays all situations is a guy who is ascending up the draft lists. I'd be interested to see if perhaps the Canucks trade down to gain an extra pick to help move out salary while also taking stylistically a player they desperately need in their pipeline. Some lists have him as early going 16-18, and as late as early 2nd round.

https://thehockeywriters.com/tom-willander-2023-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

While fellow Swedish defenseman Axel Sandin Pellikka is getting most of the attention as the top Swedish defender in the 2023 NHL Draft, Tom Willander is definitely next in line as he continues to impress and move up draft boards. He was extremely productive at the J20 level for Rögle BK, finishing the regular season with 25 points in 39 games and his impressive play has continued into the World U18 Championship. 

Willander is a very confident, steady and mobile two-way defender who can do it all in any situation. He’s an extremely effective defender offensively with his vision and mobility and possesses great situational awareness. He knows when to take his chance to jump into the rush and lead an attack without putting his team in a bad spot, while having the mindset to back off and defend against the rush. He displays a great sense of composure and confidence as the situation unfolds and shows no panic to his game on both sides of the puck. 

Willander is very smooth in transition with his long stride and strong foot speed. As a result, he can easily lead an attack through the neutral zone and create the separation between the opposition. If he finds a lane, he will take it and it’ll be tough to contain him when he enters the offensive zone. He has a decent shot and does a great job to get pucks on net effectively for second or third scoring chances. He’s also a very crisp and accurate playmaker, especially when breaking out of his zone and connecting on a long stretch pass. He’s great at exploiting holes in the opposition’s game and makes them pay when he puts the puck in a great spot for his teammates. 

While Willander may not be as flashy as Sandin Pelikka, Willander has great patience and puck control, being deceptive at times with his movements. He’s quick to activate and jump into the play and on the cycle in the offensive zone. He possesses strong edges and pivots to evade pressure when dealing with tough situations in tight spaces and usually comes out of them maintaining possession. Given his size, he shields the puck extremely well in order to maintain control, bide some time and spot a passing lane to get a play going. 

Defensively, Willander has great gap control and has the ability to cut off players quickly with his speed. He’s quick at taking away the puck carriers time and space, knowing when to be aggressive and make his move. He’s extremely strong when defending against the rush, using his long reach to break up plays and is strong in one-on-one coverage in front of the net to block forwards out. As a result, he can quickly get the inside edge, regain possession of the puck and quickly transition to offense.

As he continues to take strides offensively, Willander possesses a well-rounded game that many teams would love to have and build their defense for the future. Since he’s committed to Boston University, that should help with his development and adjustment to the North America ice surface.

Tom Willander- NHL Draft Projection

Willander may have started off his draft year as more of an underrated name. As the season progressed, he started to gain the attention of many in the scouting world. Because of his style and consistency to his play, his draft stock improved. At the moment, he can easily be an early second round pick, but don’t be surprised to hear his named being called late in the first round.

Quotables

“Fleet-footed and rangy, Willander can skate circles around opponents to find a lane to exploit. He is reliable on the breakout, and solid defensively — both off the rush and in his own zone. His puck skills aren’t anything to write home about, but he gets shots on net and opens up the ice laterally for his teammates with the occasional change of sides.” – Hadi Kalakeche, Dobber Prospects

“The young Swede has produced at a moderately good rate at the J20 level. He diffuses oncoming rushes by closing the gap and dislodging the puck with his stick before quickly moving the puck to his forwards up ice. Willander shows intelligence in generating zone exits, whether with his feet or passing ability.” – Tony Ferrari, The Hockey News

“He displays very good vision with the puck on his stick, able to identify passing lanes through the neutral zone effectively or make plays with the puck when joining the attack from the offensive blue line.” – Brandon Holmes, FC Hockey

Strengths

• Quiet, but effective
  • Gap control and defending against rush
  • Speed and mobility
  • Active stick
  • Breakout passing and transitional pla

Under Construction- Improvements to Make

• Offensive production
  • Add physical element
  • Improve power in shot

NHL Potential

Based on his overall skillset, Willander definitely has the potential to be an everyday and reliable top-four defender. His play at both ends of the ice and mobility is what teams look for to add to their defensive depth. He can be a major factor at even strength, while seeing time on the power play and penalty kill. He needs some time to develop, but he can definitely reach his potential given the upside he has. 

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Been listening to a lot of scouting podcasts/interviews from Shane Malloy, Chris Peters, and Corey Pronman.

A name they said to keep an eye on is Tom Willander. Swedish RHD, 6'1 179lbs. Played 30 mins at the Ivan Hlinka tourney for Sweden. Scouted to be an all-around two way dman. Corey Pronman saying he is a minute munching dman who plays all situations is a guy who is ascending up the draft lists. I'd be interested to see if perhaps the Canucks trade down to gain an extra pick to help move out salary while also taking stylistically a player they desperately need in their pipeline. Some lists have him as early going 16-18, and as late as early 2nd round.

Nice player but ASP has a way higher ceiling and that’s what Allvin wants. A difference maker.