The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

5 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

It Just dawned on me that the Canucks could potentially draft 2 of the top USHL prospects with the NYI pick. 
Are any of them expected to play together at college next year? 

Will Smith & Ryan Leonard 

Oliver Moore & Gabrielle Perreault

which combo would be the best case scenario ?

Easily Leonard and smith imo if I had to choose between those two combos.

Leonard has been looking downright dominant and powerful 

10 hours ago, stawns said:

That would be a hugely risky, and unwise pick in the top 10, imo.  

10 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

He's flying up the boards. I really like the way this guy plays ... but I hear ya. It would be hugely risky to pass on one of the other talents there. Looks like a bunch of game changers there.

10 hours ago, stawns said:

He's largely an unknown quantity and there's too many good fwds in the top 10 to take a chance, imo.

I disagree. Reinbacher looks like the kind of defenseman the Canucks have needed for a long long time. Potential top pair RHD never become available.

I also don't think he's that much of an unknown given he's already playing well against men.

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, R3aL said:

I was just gonna say after going over the 4 Nations and how he’s been playing recently he could end up being the 1/2 best player out the program in a couple years.

edit: to confirm I’m talking about Leonard here ^

What you think about Moores 4 Nations 

I didn't catch much of the 4 Nation. I agree about Leonard though. I've been a big fan all year, and he just continues to grow on me. Probably a lock in my top ten at this point. My only real question mark is around his vision and playmaking. Shows flashes at times but at high speeds he seems to get a little bit of tunnel-vision. But like a Barret Hayton I'm betting some team will take a swing earlier than many here expect. NHL teams always value those hard-nosed, team-first players over the more pure-skill guys, relative to the online perception. Already McKenzie and Sportsnet have him 10 and 7 respectively.

I'm not quite as sold on Moore as some others here. Lots to like but I'm pretty hesitant about his upside. Reminds me a bit of what Torts (in)famously said about Hagelin - he's too jittery, always wants to be going full speed. If he's going to be an offensive play-driver the question is can he also reign it in and control the pace of the game.

6 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

It Just dawned on me that the Canucks could potentially draft 2 of the top USHL prospects with the NYI pick. 

Well, personally I have Smith and Leonard ahead of both of the other two, so it's a no-brainer. I would go apeshit if the Canucks somehow landed both Smith and Leonard, but I'm expecting both will be gone before the Isles pick.

Smith, Leonard, Perreault and Minnetian are all committed to Boston College next year. Moore is going to U of Minnesota.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

I didn't catch much of the 4 Nation. I agree about Leonard though. I've been a big fan all year, and he just continues to grow on me. Probably a lock in my top ten at this point. My only real question mark is around his vision and playmaking. Shows flashes at times but at high speeds he seems to get a little bit of tunnel-vision. But like a Barret Hayton I'm betting some team will take a swing earlier than many here expect. NHL teams always value those hard-nosed, team-first players over the more pure-skill guys, relative to the online perception. Already McKenzie and Sportsnet have him 10 and 7 respectively.

I'm not quite as sold on Moore as some others here. Lots to like but I'm pretty hesitant about his upside. Reminds me a bit of what Torts (in)famously said about Hagelin - he's too jittery, always wants to be going full speed. If he's going to be an offensive play-driver the question is can he also reign it in and control the pace of the game.

My takeaways from Leonard from 4Nations were teams that pass on him are going to regret it. He could come out as the best player from the program over Smith and Moore. 

maybe like you say a team might even take him high high with Jimmy Snuggerud regrets 

and Moore I wasn’t as impressed with. Skating / speed is amazing but outside of that I’m not seeing the direct Larkin comp. Outside of being a strong skater American and C with good defensive details for his age.

18 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

And on the topic of the NTDP, here's a look at some recent numbers from the program's top line, split between USHL, NCAA and the 4 Nations tournament: Ryan Leonard is currently on a 15 game point streak over which he has 16 goals and 16 assists for 32 points. That point streak also includes an active 6 game goal streak, over which he has 11 goals.

During that 15 game stretch, Smith and Perreault have each had multiple pointless games, but overall Smith has 16 goals and 18 assists for 34 points and Perreault has 15 goals and 24 assists for 39 points. I will repeat that: Perreault has 15 goals and 24 assists for 39 points in the last 15 games.

This draft class is top notch! I recently heard Craig Button say that this could be the best draft class in the last 20 years! 

I really hope we can get another second round pick because I think there’s going to be a lot of good players to choose from in that round as well. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, YearoftheNuck said:

This draft class is top notch! I recently heard Craig Button say that this could be the best draft class in the last 20 years! 

I really hope we can get another second round pick because I think there’s going to be a lot of good players to choose from in that round as well. 

I can't recall ever seeing a draft this weirdly lopsided, where it's knee deep with star forwards, and such an average-looking D crop. But watch a small handful become superstars, some drafted on into the 3rd and 4th rounds. I've gone on and on about Minnetian but also Axel Landen intrigues the hell out of me, Beau Akey has always looked like an interesting project, Kristian Kostadinski has some tools.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, R3aL said:

My takeaways from Leonard from 4Nations were teams that pass on him are going to regret it. He could come out as the best player from the program over Smith and Moore. 

maybe like you say a team might even take him high high with Jimmy Snuggerud regrets 

and Moore I wasn’t as impressed with. Skating / speed is amazing but outside of that I’m not seeing the direct Larkin comp. Outside of being a strong skater American and C with good defensive details for his age.

Sounds like we're watching the same hockey for the most part. On Moore I still see that same range of an Andrew Cogliano up to maybe a Mike Richards (more felicitous than Larkin). But I think people forget how clutch Richards was in his prime. Didn't he once score shorthanded 3 on 5 against the Leafs on HNIC? Anyway, I'm not yet convinced Moore could be that type of player, but I think I see the potential there if he can put it together.

I still have Smith ahead of Leonard, but I will say I'm coming to terms with the idea of a top 3 (read: 4) in Bedard, (Michkov), Fantilli, Carlsson - and then a tight cluster of Dvorsky, Smith, Barlow, Leonard, Benson, and then a slight drop before some guys like Gulyayev, Yager, Reinbacher, Ritchie, Moore.

Edit: Thought I should tag @J.I.A.H.Nin this one since you're interested in tiers.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

Sounds like we're watching the same hockey for the most part. On Moore I still see that same range of an Andrew Cogliano up to maybe a Mike Richards (more felicitous than Larkin). But I think people forget how clutch Richards was in his prime. Didn't he once score shorthanded 3 on 5 against the Leafs on HNIC? Anyway, I'm not yet convinced Moore could be that type of player, but I think I see the potential there if he can put it together.

I still have Smith ahead of Leonard, but I will say I'm coming to terms with the idea of a top 3 (read: 4) in Bedard, (Michkov), Fantilli, Carlsson - and then a tight cluster of Dvorsky, Smith, Barlow, Leonard, Benson, and then a slight drop before some guys like Gulyayev, Yager, Reinbacher, Ritchie, Moore.

Edit: Thought I should tag @J.I.A.H.Nin this one since you're interested in tiers.

Hey, thanks for the tag! I kind of agree that is what I am reading, from everywhere

But, I have a question

Has there ever been a draft where there has not been 2 or 3 defenseman in the top 10?

It can't be many times, if ever, that I can recall.

Never say never, but it is early, and I am just saying! (Asking)

So since 2000.........1 draft had 1 Dman in the top 10, 3 others had 2 Dmen, all the other had 3 or more, with 1 having 8 Dmen in the top 10.

I would find it strange that the final draft did not have 1 or 2, possibly 3. ................Pellikka, Reinbacher, and Gulyayev...the jury is still out on this.

But I get it, there is alot of great offensive forwards in this draft............which is why I say, lets wait and see what the final rankings look like.

I am not saying I am right, only that it is worth considering............Love your knowledge, and am not questioning it, or your amigos on here either...

Just a interested party!....That Islander pick is getting a pretty nice prospect!

Reinbacher is an interesting prospect because he was clearly getting overlooked early on this year but now seems to be rising almost too rapidly. 

He caught my attention early this season as the only U19 player getting regular minutes in the Swiss NL but I admittedly didn't know much about him. At this point, he's now put up almost identical numbers to what Roman Josi did in his D+1 season in the same league. From all that I've seen of him and read from reports he seems like a good at everything but master of none type player. He has decent size, and doesn't shy away from contact, but I wish he would engage more. Honestly the player he has started to remind me of is Alex Pietrangelo. 

Here's one of Pietrangelo's scouting reports from his draft year from HockeyProspect.com:

"The only knock on him was that he was not physical enough. We agreed with that and it's clear to us that Alex heard the talk.

He has stepped up his physical game a bit but it's his smarts and poise that we love so much. It almost seems like he's not trying at times because he makes it all look so easy. Alex is so smart with and without the puck. He is one of those players that seems to slow the game down, his vision on the ice is outstanding. He makes great reads on when to hold the blueline and has a knack for keeping the puck in."

That report certainly sounds eerily similar to the current reports on Reinbacher. If he does manage to become the next Pietrangelo that could be a huge steal in the draft. 

But ultimately I worry about how fast he's risen and the miniscule amount of games played against comparable draft eligibles (as well as the somewhat obscurity of Swiss NL comparables) to really evaluate him. At this point I would be quite happy using the Islanders' pick on Reinbacher but would be very hesitant to use our own.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

connor and bedard or

reinbacher and sandin-pellikka

4 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

And these are 2 possibilities. Unfortunately Allvin couldn’t secure the pick unprotected.   

FE409917-8AB9-48C5-B7CA-4F6C6DF40A60.png

F5F47AFA-1845-402E-8278-F3C92C540EDE.png

I thought the NHL had tweaked the lottery draft so as teams that finished higher up in the standings such as the NYR's and I believe the Flyers did a few years ago, wouldn't get a shot at first overall? Or, are all teams, the bottom 16 eligible for that shot at Bedard? Just once I'd like the Canucks to have that 1st overall.

Just now, johngould21 said:

I thought the NHL had tweaked the lottery draft so as teams that finished higher up in the standings such as the NYR's and I believe the Flyers did a few years ago, wouldn't get a shot at first overall? Or, are all teams, the bottom 16 eligible for that shot at Bedard? Just once I'd like the Canucks to have that 1st overall.

I think the new rule is a club can only move up 10 spots. 

8 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Hey, thanks for the tag! I kind of agree that is what I am reading, from everywhere

But, I have a question

Has there ever been a draft where there has not been 2 or 3 defenseman in the top 10?

It can't be many times, if ever, that I can recall.

Never say never, but it is early, and I am just saying! (Asking)

So since 2000.........1 draft had 1 Dman in the top 10, 3 others had 2 Dmen, all the other had 3 or more, with 1 having 8 Dmen in the top 10.

I would find it strange that the final draft did not have 1 or 2, possibly 3. ................Pellikka, Reinbacher, and Gulyayev...the jury is still out on this.

But I get it, there is alot of great offensive forwards in this draft............which is why I say, lets wait and see what the final rankings look like.

I am not saying I am right, only that it is worth considering............Love your knowledge, and am not questioning it, or your amigos on here either...

Just a interested party!....That Islander pick is getting a pretty nice prospect!

The funny thing is I think you're 100% right. I've been thinking the same thing all year, and yet I rack my brain trying to figure out who are the D that ought to go top ten and I just can't see an obvious answer. There's a lot of talk about Reinbacher lately, but is that the right guy? I dunno. Could it be Willander? Could it be Minnetian? Could it be Caden Price? Good chance the best defenseman in the draft ends up going late first or second round. The trick is, if you're going to pick a defenseman in the top ten, try to pick the right one.