The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022-23 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

11 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Saw the game in person today and Klimovich was possibly the best forward on the Canucks. Exciting to see some good development in such a young player.

Colliton seems to be doing a great job with all the young guys: Klim, Podkolzin, Bains, Woo and others  all seem to be making progress. And he seems like a good coach overall.

• Cheers 1

On 1/7/2023 at 11:17 PM, Curmudgeon said:

Jeremy Colliton is doing a really good job with this team. They play with, dare I say it, structure. They are fast and are positionally sound almost all of the time. Could Colliton be Bruce's eventual replacement?

Could very well be. When Colliton was hired, I really got the sense that management had him in their long term succession plans (and I said as much in a number of posts after the hiring). However, I also thought it would be a year or two longer before they actually moved him up. Allvin is reportedly really high on Colliton. And he’s done very well with the team in Abby, and seems to be coaching the AHL team to play the style that management wants, when it come to the whole “structure” thing. Meanwhile, the big club is struggling more than anyone expected this season, management clearly isn’t happy with the way the team plays, and Bruce seems to be on borrowed time. I really wouldn’t be surprised if Colliton becomes the next coach of the Vancouver Canucks. And it just might happen sooner than expected/planned.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Could very well be. When Colliton was hired, I really got the sense that management had him in their long term succession plans (and I said as much in a number of posts after the hiring). However, I also thought it would be a year or two longer before they actually moved him up. Allvin is reportedly really high on Colliton. And he’s done very well with the team in Abby, and seems to be coaching the AHL team to play the style that management wants, when it come to the whole “structure” thing. Meanwhile, the big club is struggling more than anyone expected this season, management clearly isn’t happy with the way the team plays, and Bruce seems to be on borrowed time. I really wouldn’t be surprised if Colliton becomes the next coach of the Vancouver Canucks. And it just might happen sooner than expected/planned.

He did the same thing in Chicago. He was coaching their AHL team and did very well for the Ice Hogs. The Blackhawks fire their coach and bring him up and he kept his head above water in Chicago for almost 3 seasons before signing with us. For a rebuilding team he kept Chicago around the 500 mark during his tenure. Some may say so what, but Chicago hasn’t been great for a while now and he didn’t have much to go on there player wise. At least in Vancouver he would inherit a team with some good young pieces in place. Players in Abby really like him too by all accounts.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

He did the same thing in Chicago. He was coaching their AHL team and did very well for the Ice Hogs. The Blackhawks fire their coach and bring him up and he kept his head above water in Chicago for almost 3 seasons before signing with us. For a rebuilding team he kept Chicago around the 500 mark during his tenure. Some may say so what, but Chicago hasn’t been great for a while now and he didn’t have much to go on there player wise. At least in Vancouver he would inherit a team with some good young pieces in place. Players in Abby really like him too by all accounts.

Yeah, and he was also what, just 33 or 34 years old when he took over the Hawks, and for his first NHL gig? Only a few years older than their veteran core players, really. Still did quite well, under the circumstances. I’d imagine he’ll be more prepared and have an even greater command of the room whenever his second NHL stint happens. 

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, and he was also what, just 33 or 34 years old when he took over the Hawks, and for his first NHL gig? Only a few years older than their veteran core players, really. Still did quite well, under the circumstances. I’d imagine he’ll be more prepared and have an even greater command of the room whenever his second NHL stint happens. 

For sure, he had that Blackhawks team playing pretty solid hockey I thought. I remember reading up on him when we hired him. He was playing in Europe and had a career ending injury (or something to that sort, my memory is terrible lol), he went straight into coaching right away as he apparently always felt he would have a knack for it. I honestly forgot how young he is. But 33/34 coaching in the NHL, you definitely don’t see that every day. As much I liked Cull as our AHL coach, he was very meat and potatoes system wise. It’s nice to see the structure Jeremy brings to the club. It’s exactly what management has talked about with its big club. Good fit! 

14 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

2 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

For sure, he had that Blackhawks team playing pretty solid hockey I thought. I remember reading up on him when we hired him. He was playing in Europe and had a career ending injury (or something to that sort, my memory is terrible lol), he went straight into coaching right away as he apparently always felt he would have a knack for it. I honestly forgot how young he is. But 33/34 coaching in the NHL, you definitely don’t see that every day. As much I liked Cull as our AHL coach, he was very meat and potatoes system wise. It’s nice to see the structure Jeremy brings to the club. It’s exactly what management has talked about with its big club. Good fit! 

I have also been very impressed with Colliton. From the first time I heard him speak I thought that this is a guy I really like. He is obviously smart and he is also restrained--not too many ups and downs. And he seems to have a good manner for teaching. It is no surprise he does well with young guys. I like him much better than Trent Cull or Travis Green as an AHL coach (although I have nothing against those two guys). Obviously his style is very different from Bruce. Everyone (including me) likes Bruce but he does not seem to be a great fit for what the Canucks need right now.

One interesting fact is that Abby is doing well and keeping goals down despite having a low team save percentage (below 90%). Basically, they are keeping shots down and, although I am not aware of any AHL data on high danger chances or expected goals, it seems that they are keeping high danger chances down. And, from the small amount of video I have seen, the team does seem positionally sound ("structure").

Another interesting fact is that a number of guys just "happen" to be having really good years relative to their long trajectory. It could be coincidence but it is more likely that Colliton has a lot of value-added. This is most obvious with Wolanin and Pederson, but it is also true of various young guys. I could see him doing a rescue job on OEL's career. (I think Myers is beyond rescue.)

I hope the Canucks keep Bruce in place for this year and promote Colliton next year. I don't see the advantage in having him take over the current tire fire on the big team. I would like to see Abby get a chance to do something good in the playoffs this year. For next year, I am much higher on Colliton than on Yeo or Tocchett or other names that have surfaced.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

On 1/11/2023 at 6:55 AM, OldFaithfulCap said:

It's hard to work out the AHL schedule. Seems like few teams play across divisions. Would the canucks ever play the lehigh phantoms? 

Not in the near future, only pacific div teams and the other canadian teams come to Abby.  No teams from the east coast of central states visit.

• Thanks 1