The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wayne Gretzky sued for $10 Million for lying about gum.

Rate this topic

Just now, nux_win said:

I'm not really sure what your overall point is other than it's OK to lie for profit.  I don't think it is.  That's really all I was trying to say.  The rest is all legal nitpicking and perhaps we should leave that to the lawyers.  I'm certainly not one and I don't want to argue this any further.

I don't think you understand what due diligence is, its worth looking up just for your own info. 

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I don't think you understand what due diligence is, its worth looking up just for your own info. 

You're still dodging the issue.  Do you think that it's OK to lie for profit or don't you?  You are insinuating that it is.  I'm trying to argue that it isn't.  That's pretty much the heart of the issue.  Like I said, the rest is legal nitpicking and I would prefer to leave that up to the lawyers.

P.S. - to humour you I looked up due diligence and as I suspected it has nothing to do with this case.

1 minute ago, nux_win said:

You're still dodging the issue.  Do you think that it's OK to lie for profit or don't you?  You are insinuating that it is.  I'm trying to argue that it isn't.  That's pretty much the heart of the issue.  Like I said, the rest is legal nitpicking and I would prefer to leave that up to the lawyers.

P.S. - to humour you I looked up due diligence and as I suspected it has nothing to do with this case.

no thats you doing that. You're also calling it "criminal" which it isn't. You're doing what the guy filing the civil claim wants people to think, that Wayne has done something criminal when there's no evidence that he did.

Do you really think its reasonable for someone to invest $10 million in something based off a story one guy told? does that sound like something you would do?

Just now, JM_ said:

no thats you doing that. You're also calling it "criminal" which it isn't. You're doing what the guy filing the civil claim wants people to think, that Wayne has done something criminal when there's no evidence that he did.

Do you really think its reasonable for someone to invest $10 million in something based off a story one guy told? does that sound like something you would do?

Forgive me, but I don't understand the point of all of your posts on this thread. I asked you a direct question in an effort to try to clarify your position and you refused to answer it.  That's conversation over for being completely uncooperative. 

3 hours ago, kilgore said:

Gretzky may be the greatest hockey player ever, and I still respect that part his persona, but he's been involved in shady side deals for awhile.  From the gambling scandal that he escaped from. (wiretaps confirmed he knew full well what his wife was up to).  To his latest shilling for a big online gambling company.   With all the addiction problems in society, what gave him a reason to put his name and even make a commercial for them?  Of all the types of products to endorse. He shouldn't need the money that bad. He must have investments in that company too.  I think when I first saw his penchant for bad decisions, bad timing, in who he invests in is when he publicly backed Stephen Harper just when most Canadians were finally fed up with him.

Maybe he's jealous Mario did it the right way.   And also is very aware of how both Orr and Howe got constantly shafted during their careers and many more before him.    Guys today have it way better.   Ovi and his 128 million ish dollar deal... and well that's not even medium tier when it comes to beer bellied baseball players that are good at their position these days.    Not saying it's an excuse.   But this guy was used to making side money and i'm sure that's all he's up to now.   And probably gets bugged all the time to do stuff from his agents, friends and family,

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, JM_ said:

That isn't what happened. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

That isn't what happened. 

"The statement that [Wayne] 'lost 35 lbs.' as a result of 'OMG gum' was the motivation for [Sparks] and other shareholders to invest and/or re-invest in BuChew, by either providing capital investments and/or services," the filing reads.

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Maybe he's jealous Mario did it the right way.   And also is very aware of how both Orr and Howe got constantly shafted during their careers and many more before him.    Guys today have it way better.   Ovi and his 128 million ish dollar deal... and well that's not even medium tier when it comes to beer bellied baseball players that are good at their position these days.    Not saying it's an excuse.   But this guy was used to making side money and i'm sure that's all he's up to now.   And probably gets bugged all the time to do stuff from his agents, friends and family,

Mario himself got shafted (eg., when the Pens went bankrupt).  Who was the largest creditor at that time the Pens filed for bankruptcy?  Mario.  Instead of going thru the courts & salvaging what he could from what was left, I think he sort of became part of the group that bought the team (owed salary was "deferred").

15 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Forgive me, but I don't understand the point of all of your posts on this thread. I asked you a direct question in an effort to try to clarify your position and you refused to answer it.  That's conversation over for being completely uncooperative. 

Pretty sure he said "meh".  I certainly got that.   None of us have lived a day in his shoes.  So who are we to judge?   If you want to do that, go look on the WJs thread.   Lots to judge on there. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

"The statement that [Wayne] 'lost 35 lbs.' as a result of 'OMG gum' was the motivation for [Sparks] and other shareholders to invest and/or re-invest in BuChew, by either providing capital investments and/or services," the filing reads.

[quote]Plaintiff is entitled to special damages for the damage done to his, investment, business, trade, profession, occupation, or reputation including the amounts of money Plaintiff expended as a result of [Wayne's] assertions," they continued. [/quote]

They didn't invest 10 million. They are suing for 10 million in damages. 

For someone as obsessed with arguing about everything/anything you basically never read. If you want to use this forum to argue (weird), try developing one strong argument instead of throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. 

• Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Pretty sure he said "meh".  I certainly got that.   None of us have lived a day in his shoes.  So who are we to judge?   If you want to do that, go look on the WJs thread.   Lots to judge on there. 

1. "meh" is not an answer.

2.  I went out of my way to say several times in this thread that I'm not making any judgements either way.

I was trying to make a point about ethics, namely that it's not OK to lie for profit.  It's amazing how many people seem to think that this is OK and just pass over the concept.   I plainly admit that I don't know if Gretzky did that or not, but it is at least possible (that's all I was saying).

8 minutes ago, lmm said:

I'm gonna sue for that corduroy jacket

Hey if you had the wear that crap growing up (like me!, aside from how sucky soft it was it was about as embarrassing to wear as short shorts!) then you've suffered.   So hilarious.  I think that made my day. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

[quote]Plaintiff is entitled to special damages for the damage done to his, investment, business, trade, profession, occupation, or reputation including the amounts of money Plaintiff expended as a result of [Wayne's] assertions," they continued. [/quote]

They didn't invest 10 million. They are suing for 10 million in damages. 

For someone as obsessed with arguing about everything/anything you basically never read. If you want to use this forum to argue (weird), try developing one strong argument instead of throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. 

I disagree. 

8 minutes ago, nux_win said:

1. "meh" is not an answer.

2.  I went out of my way to say several times in this thread that I'm not making any judgements either way.

I was trying to make a point about ethics, namely that it's not OK to lie for profit.  It's amazing how many people seem to think that this is OK and just pass over the concept.   I plainly admit that I don't know if Gretzky did that or not, but it is at least possible (that's all I was saying).

It's just bubblegum.   Like who's dumb enough to think anyones going to chew that hard to lose weight?   Maybe there is something else behind the story that will be revealed.   Is it "unethical" to say if you eat certain foods and lose weight! Hell yes!  That's how it works.  It's a trillion dollar industry in the US and 115 million of their citizens are obese.  Atkins.  Paleo . whatever .. guess what - just be active and work out and then you can eat pretty much as much crap as you want.   That's like grade 8 biology (ok certain body types have to work at it harder...but that's just it - you have to put the work in, diet doesn't create muscles, and fat weighs 50% less then muscle as well, i'm almost 50 and get it's harder with age... but it's not that hard either... seriously this isn't a wayne gretzky cancel culture im going to get behind ... just move on. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

It's just bubblegum.   Like who's dumb enough to think anyones going to chew that hard to lose weight?   Maybe there is something else behind the story that will be revealed.   Is it "unethical" to say if you eat certain foods and lose weight! Hell yes!  That's how it works.  It's a trillion dollar industry in the US and 115 million of their citizens are obese. 

Its also ridiculous/highly dubious to claim you invested in and/or have millions in damages due to Wayne's one story. To me the allegation doesn't pass the stink test or is a reasonable claim. Bet you a coke it never sees a courtroom. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Hey if you had the wear that crap growing up (like me!, aside from how sucky soft it was it was about as embarrassing to wear as short shorts!) then you've suffered.   So hilarious.  I think that made my day. 

I had cord pants but never a corduroy jacket

I have a wool jacket and shorts set that drives my GF around the bend

she likes me more in the summer and groans the first time the wool shorts come out in Fall

• Haha 3

Here's what I think happened. Dude 'invents' weight loss gum. Needs someone famous to pitch it. So Gretzky signs on and probably got stock in the private company as payment for his endorsement (Pretty certain this is not a publicly traded company.)

Companies fortunes are failing. Owner plows money in to keep it afloat. Despite Gretzky's claims, the company fails. Owner is broke and starts pointing fingers at Gretzky in order to recoup at least some of his failed investment.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

One more thing. In retirement Gretzky has never looked like he weighed anymore than his playing weight which was approx 175-180 lbs.

How does a guy who's 180 lbs lose 35 lbs (chewing gum) and no one notices? He'd end up at 145 lbs and look like a bag of bones. The claim he made was always ridiculous.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1