The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wayne Gretzky sued for $10 Million for lying about gum.

Rate this topic

14 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

One more thing. In retirement Gretzky has never looked like he weighed anymore than his playing weight which was approx 175-180 lbs.

How does a guy who's 180 lbs lose 35 lbs (chewing gum) and no one notices? He'd end up at 145 lbs and look like a bag of bones. The claim he made was always ridiculous.

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Mario himself got shafted (eg., when the Pens went bankrupt).  Who was the largest creditor at that time the Pens filed for bankruptcy?  Mario.  Instead of going thru the courts & salvaging what he could from what was left, I think he sort of became part of the group that bought the team (owed salary was "deferred").

Mario did just fine.   And earned it. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

[quote]Plaintiff is entitled to special damages for the damage done to his, investment, business, trade, profession, occupation, or reputation including the amounts of money Plaintiff expended as a result of [Wayne's] assertions," they continued. [/quote]

They didn't invest 10 million. They are suing for 10 million in damages. 

For someone as obsessed with arguing about everything/anything you basically never read. If you want to use this forum to argue (weird), try developing one strong argument instead of throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. 

Wayne Gretzky hit with $10M lawsuit over gum weight-loss claim (nypost.com)

Sparks, who claims to have had reinvested both money and services into the brand, says the ordeal cost him $10 million.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Maybe he's jealous Mario did it the right way.   And also is very aware of how both Orr and Howe got constantly shafted during their careers and many more before him.    Guys today have it way better.   Ovi and his 128 million ish dollar deal... and well that's not even medium tier when it comes to beer bellied baseball players that are good at their position these days.    Not saying it's an excuse.   But this guy was used to making side money and i'm sure that's all he's up to now.   And probably gets bugged all the time to do stuff from his agents, friends and family,

Wayne Gretzky Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth

Wayne Gretzky is a Canadian-born retired professional hockey player and entrepreneur who has a net worth of $250 million.

Mario Lemieux Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth

Mario Lemieux is a former Canadian professional ice hockey player who has a net worth of $200 million.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

One more thing. In retirement Gretzky has never looked like he weighed anymore than his playing weight which was approx 175-180 lbs.

How does a guy who's 180 lbs lose 35 lbs (chewing gum) and no one notices? He'd end up at 145 lbs and look like a bag of bones. The claim he made was always ridiculous.

He's barely 185lbs soaking wet today.  I've never seen a picture of Wayne Gretzky looking fat, ever...

wayne-gretzky2.webp

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Here's what I think happened. Dude 'invents' weight loss gum. Needs someone famous to pitch it. So Gretzky signs on and probably got stock in the private company as payment for his endorsement (Pretty certain this is not a publicly traded company.)

Companies fortunes are failing. Owner plows money in to keep it afloat. Despite Gretzky's claims, the company fails. Owner is broke and starts pointing fingers at Gretzky in order to recoup at least some of his failed investment.

yep. Hope Wayne is worried about his reputation and settles is my guess. 

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wayne Gretzky hit with $10M lawsuit over gum weight-loss claim (nypost.com)

Sparks, who claims to have had reinvested both money and services into the brand, says the ordeal cost him $10 million.

Not how damages work. The "Cost" is inclusive of all forms of suffering. If he invested 10 million, he'd be suing for far more. 

12 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Not how damages work. The "Cost" is inclusive of all forms of suffering. If he invested 10 million, he'd be suing for far more. 

Wayne Gretzky Sued Over Alleged Weight Loss Gum Lie, Man Claims He Cost Him $10 Mil (tmz.com)

Wayne Gretzky allegedly lied about dropping pounds by chewing gum -- and a man is now suing the hockey legend over it ... claiming The Great One's great fib cost him $10 MILLION.

Sparks says he's now out $10 MILLION -- and is suing Wayne, asking for it back and more.

It clearly says he lost $10 million financially.  There is no mention of pain and suffering or whatever else you want to deem is damages.  None of us have actually read the lawsuit so nobody really knows at this point...

42 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yep. Hope Wayne is worried about his reputation and settles is my guess. 

Yup Sue for a headline grabbing number. Get it in the media. Get people on CDC and other places like Twitter bringing up any shady stuff from his past and questioning his integrity. Hope to settle for 1-2 million and start again.

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wayne Gretzky Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth

Wayne Gretzky is a Canadian-born retired professional hockey player and entrepreneur who has a net worth of $250 million.

Mario Lemieux Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth

Mario Lemieux is a former Canadian professional ice hockey player who has a net worth of $200 million.

Yes they are uber rich, but got check out Wayne's biggest money deal and compare it to todays players.   Even with inflation, they didn't earn the same way the guys do now.   Mario?  How much of that did he earn in his career playing hockey, and how much is that from his ownership stake (which he took because they couldn't afford to pay him)... One thing Wayne did was make sure he got his endorsements ... actually hard to think of a player who did as many.    Maybe Messier with Lays lol.   That bald dome had the "it factor" on TV. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Why he's suing for more is the future value of money is also lost, even at a safe investment rate.   Plus his lawyers cut would be added.   The actual dollar amount lost would be lower.   Who knows exactly how much money the courts or his accountants figure was actually lost "as a result of preposterous claims".    Guy better be careful or Wayne's net worth goes up in a defamation counter suit. 

Edited by IBatch

Wayne's always been a willing participant in sketchy businesses.

Peter Pocklington owned 'Wayne Gretzky' under a personal services contract, when Wayne was just a kid; that is close to human trafficking.

The guy that bought Wayne from Pocklington went to jail for his sports card 'business', which Wayne was involved with.

Wayne dumped his long-time girlfriend, Edmonton, the Oilers, and their fans for money and a failed movie actress.

She went out binging with another hockey player and blamed all the money they burnt through on gambling losses; Wayne the loser was basically silent.

Gretzky is not great.

Messier is not the greatest leader in professional sports history.

They were successful players; personally they are busteroos.

10 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Sister's wedding next weekend I could loose a few lbs, where do I get this gum? 35÷8 = 4.375 lbs in a week sign me up!

Go OMAD (one meal a day) and full Keto up to the wedding; drink lots of water and get lots of exercise, you'll get there easily.  - Note: not an endorsement of any kind, and I ain't gittin nuttin; 'specially not no ten mill neither, by gum.

• Haha 1

I did a charity event in Edmonton last year. They gave me a Gretzky 99 jersey to wear. Oddly enough by the end of the day it didn't feel that bad on my Canuck bones. They let me keep the 99 and it's hanging between my Smyl and Linden jerseys. 

My son happened to see it there in my closet and asked wth is going on.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Yup Sue for a headline grabbing number. Get it in the media. Get people on CDC and other places like Twitter bringing up any shady stuff from his past and questioning his integrity. Hope to settle for 1-2 million and start again.

I think thats what burned my cookies about this story and got me going. One headline and Wayne is suddenly Alan Eagleson. 

On 8/16/2022 at 9:43 PM, ba;;isticsports said:

I'm sorry, but anyone stupid enough to think short cuts work and you can eat as much as you like  don't exercise but chew gum to lose weight has bigger issues than weight loss

Seems like the guy suing is looking for a short cut to get rich too

Well, the really issue is Wayne making money off of this as he bought shares prior to making the claim about weight loss.

Pretty sure the stock exchange frowns upon that sort of thing...

7 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Well, the really issue is Wayne making money off of this as he bought shares prior to making the claim about weight loss.

Pretty sure the stock exchange frowns upon that sort of thing...

I don't think this was a publicly traded company though. 

• Sad 1