The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Interesting to see how DeKeyser skates.

He has a pretty choppy or almost awkward stride when doing crossovers but the result is there in that he gets going pretty quick.

21 minutes ago, Muttley said:

You need to watch some game videos from last year?  Miller doesn't play with speed at center? My TV must be on the fritz. Miller has the ability to slow things down on the power play but I can't count the amount of breakouts with speed  saw from him last year. Those 99 points came to fruition for a reason..

Defaulting to a backhanded insult just because I questioned you? You still upset about me calling you out on having Shahs opinion on Miller wrong last week?

I digress. You're right, those points did come from a reason. The majority of those 5 on 5 points came with slower players who were able to match Miller pace. Even Miller and Bruce both have said that Miller was effective at center because he could slow down the pace of the play once he crossed the blue. I think you may have been caught highlight watching. His glory reel from last year included a bucket of plays right down the middle where he broke through and got legit scoring chances due to his speed. But those plays would not have benefited from a speedy winger keeping pace because Miller is crashing towards the net himself. The winger's come into play if Miller is stopped at the net, or when he goes wide to open a pass, something Pearson and Boeser are both effective at facilitating.

Also Miller doesn't really slow things down on the powerplay. Yea, the powerplay tended to run through him, but that doesn't mean he's slowing it down. 

But maybe you're right, maybe I'm wrong. Bruce said he had countless line combos he has been mulling over this summer and he went with slower players on Miller's wings to start as well. He must see something in Miller's game that makes him confident these are the types of winger's Miller excels with, and you have yet to clarify why you think he needs speed on his wing.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Because Miller is at his best when the pace is fast. Can clearly see it on the Power play, why not encompass that into a potential line? Late last year, Bruce had

him with Podkolzin and it looked promising. You know, maybe Pearson could work but IMO, he was always better with Horvat. Boeser has a ton to offer in getting

off good shots but he hasn't historically been good at getting back to defend. Honestly think the lines may well look different when the season starts. This format

is to make the camp work somewhat equally, I think.

Bruce himself has said there is a good chance the lines at camp were the opening lineup. And I just don't agree with you about Pearson. Miller was tied for tops 5 on 5 playing with Pearson as his primary winger. Even beyond that, the Miller/Boeser/Pearson line lead the team last year in on ice save percentage and had a corsi at 56 . With how defense as suspect as it is, I think it's incredibly important we keep lines that are effective at winning their matchup together. That line worked.