The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

This is the line that puzzles me. I know the idea is to keep coming hard at the other teams with four lines but Miller is your best player and him being with two of the 

slower forwards baffles me. I'm hoping it gets changed up for regular season. Boeser would be ok there as a shooter but not Pearson. He's at a third hedging on 

fourth line player now. He worked not too bad with Horvat for a long time. My thoughts are Miller should center Podkolzin and Garland.

Extract from April 2022 article ...

While Pearson isn’t a game-breaker, he is the type of player that helps teams win. He ranks third out of regular skaters on the team with a Corsi For % of 52.92% and the Canucks have outscored their opposition 41-29 with him on the ice at 5-on-5.

His analytics compare well to players on the team that are more highly regarded like Bo Horvat, Elias Pettersson, and Brock Boeser. While none of this is to say that Pearson is the same quality player as those three, he has been driving play in the Canucks’ direction and fulfilled his role very well.

Pearson’s fit on the Canucks this season

While Pearson has been stapled to Bo Horvat’s wing for the past few seasons, seemingly the only duo that former head coach Travis Green refused to break up, this season he’s had the chance to play with some new linemates. This has been an interesting experiment that has yielded some very positive results.

Tanner Pearson Stats Tanner Pearson Stats (Natural Stat Trick)

Pearson with Miller has been the most interesting new duo and the two have produced some great results. They’ve been heavy on the forecheck and able to create turnovers in the offensive zone. Boudreau has played the two players together lots and they’ve put up results over a large sample size.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

As we head closer to our first preseason game this is how rosters must be constructed, so group A-C are closely aligned to it. Probably see each group face off another team's roster

NHL rules state that teams must dress a minimum of eight "veterans" for each preseason game, but the League's definition of a "veteran" is quite generous at this time of year. Any forward or defenseman who played in 30 or more NHL games in the previous season qualifies, as does any goaltender who dressed for 50 or more or played in 30 or more games in the previous season.

Additionally, a first-round draft choice from the most recent NHL Draft qualifies as a "vet" for the purposes of preseason roster building, as does any player with 100 or more career games. These standards include playoff games.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Pettersson - Mikheyev - Hughes in OT  (goodnight opponents)

Kuzmenko with his spin o rama moves would be unstoppable in OT.  Mikheyev has the speed but with Petey and Hughes out there dominating puck possession Kuzmenko would be the ideal 3rd guy to pick apart the opposition and play shinny with Petey...

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

This is the line that puzzles me. I know the idea is to keep coming hard at the other teams with four lines but Miller is your best player and him being with two of the 

slower forwards baffles me. I'm hoping it gets changed up for regular season. Boeser would be ok there as a shooter but not Pearson. He's at a third hedging on 

fourth line player now. He worked not too bad with Horvat for a long time. My thoughts are Miller should center Podkolzin and Garland.

When Miller plays wing he drives play and plays fast. What made Miller effective offensively at center was his ability to change pace and slow the game down. Playing with 2 players who are both above average at winning pick battles along the boards and play with a slower pace actually makes a ton of sense.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Still no sale. ::D

See below.

10 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Extract from April 2022 article ...

While Pearson isn’t a game-breaker, he is the type of player that helps teams win. He ranks third out of regular skaters on the team with a Corsi For % of 52.92% and the Canucks have outscored their opposition 41-29 with him on the ice at 5-on-5.

His analytics compare well to players on the team that are more highly regarded like Bo Horvat, Elias Pettersson, and Brock Boeser. While none of this is to say that Pearson is the same quality player as those three, he has been driving play in the Canucks’ direction and fulfilled his role very well.

Pearson’s fit on the Canucks this season

While Pearson has been stapled to Bo Horvat’s wing for the past few seasons, seemingly the only duo that former head coach Travis Green refused to break up, this season he’s had the chance to play with some new linemates. This has been an interesting experiment that has yielded some very positive results.

Tanner Pearson Stats Tanner Pearson Stats (Natural Stat Trick)

Pearson with Miller has been the most interesting new duo and the two have produced some great results. They’ve been heavy on the forecheck and able to create turnovers in the offensive zone. Boudreau has played the two players together lots and they’ve put up results over a large sample size.

They’ve been heavy on the forecheck and able to create turnovers in the offensive zone.

Maybe come playoff time, you will see what we mean................................. :towel:

When the bodies start flying and the opposing teams come head hunting, I am pretty sure the smaller skilled players will appreciate players like Pearson and Miller.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Muttley said:

I don't want to argue but I still think Miller needs to play with more speed from his wingers. The results at even strength would be even better. 

Yeah I am with you, but I think there is lots of time to figure out what line combinations are going to be effective or not. I do think we are a lot deeper then years past so it is a good problem to have.

5 minutes ago, Muttley said:

I don't want to argue but I still think Miller needs to play with more speed from his wingers. The results at even strength would be even better. 

But why do you say this? Miller doesn't play with speed at C. His effectiveness comes from his ability to slow the pace down the middle. His most common teammate was Pears 5on5 last season, followed by Boeser and Garland. None of those players are burners, and Miller was tied for most points 5 on 5.

I'm not sure why putting faster wingers would benefit Miller at C when last year his effectiveness came from slowing the play down more often then not.

Based on these lines, I like what Bruce is trying - roll 3 lines but all of them have an even split of size, skill, speed and defensive awareness. He doesn't have a true shutdown line but all lines have good defensive awareness. We may get scored on more this way but I think we'll out-score opponents much more. 

A defensive-minded Pearson with Brock and Miller who suck defensively is brilliant. 

Bo is strong defensively so plays with Podkolzin and Garland who are both much more offensive-minded.

Petey will have to be the defensively-sound guy on his trio but Mikheyev is also quite fast and savvy defensively.

I'm sure all these lines will get juggled during the season but great awareness by Bruce to roll 3 even lines.

Sad to see Dickinson centering the 4th line instead of Lazar but I'm sure that will change a lot, and Hoglander on the outside looking in but I really hope Hogs works his butt off and earns his place on that 4th line, we'll probably see a rotation of the big slow guys and Hoglander.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I suppose the nitpick was born out of how the local media starts in with their inanity, as demonstrated from years of said inanity. 

I just expected someone from PR/Media to shield the new guys from that by having a translator there just in case something was said the wrong way or interpreted the wrong way and then the media runs with the mistake. 

I agree it’s an informal setting, somewhat. The setting shouldn’t, in my opinion and apparently not a very shared opinion, that the assets should have been in place by a professional sports organization for the media scrum, separately from, like you said, the rest of the team bonding time.  

I just didn’t think it was a good look to have a player translate at length for another player, though I’m sure he didn’t mind. It was obvious that things weren’t being translated properly though. 

None of that changes how welcomed the players are I’m sure. Just an observation and opinion from an outside pov. 

Let it go. Its embarrassing at this point. This is what's wrong with society these days. People reaching and making something out of nothing

• Like 2