The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

19 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I miss that long bomb pass into the corner and a forward would skate onto it. Be good if we figured out a way to get that back in, because of the automatic off side whistle.

Saw Petey tag one of those to Ilya today..

Those boys are going to use the rules to the book..  smart n sassy.     Get ready for a few F bomb penalties directed at the refs ;) 

ps.   Not sure if there are any new rules for Kuz to familiarize himself with ?

NHL <>KHL 

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Agree. That first interview was different than previous seasons. His maturity and focus shows. Was worried that he wouldn't be dialed in early. Looks like he has a lot to prove after last year's bad start. 

Actually, everyone seems much more focused and dialed in. Even Boeser talking about 30 goals. This is the focus and confidence we've needed. 

Very encouraging and the Polar opposite of last season 1st.  

Demko saying he's not satisfied with his game yet and wants to keep getting better was the exact right thing to say.

• Cheers 2

42 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah the knock on Ilya was his lack of finish but hopefully he turned the corner last year. 

Petey is so creative that I can picture him doing things like the Sedin dump in pass off the end/corner boards while Ilya streaks down the ice. 

Peteys done that before but I bet we see that more often now. That makes the D respect the speed and I bet we see a softer neutral zone as a result. 

Hot dang I'm excited! 

Imagine someone from the Leafs having a “lack of finish” ;) :ph34r:

Mihky looks highly motivated,.   That line does!

To me the biggest battle is Hoglander vs Kuzmenko.

I hate that everyone is penciling Hogs outside the lineup/in Abbotsford, he can create offense & has that honey badger element. And clearly this regime hasn't seen Hogs at his best. (Which worries me tbh)

Obviously there's a ton of depth, & Kuzmenko needs opportunity to establish himself, but Hogs has alot of talent/ability too let's not have that go by the wayside.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, lmm said:

well I hate to be the beacon of positivity

but I still think you both are making something out of nothing

no on involved with the interview seemed upset or put off

and its not like they were answering hockey questions with, "Your mother wears army boots"

But, its the first day of Fall and the first day of camp, and the sky has not fallen

I hope you two can sleep tonight

Cheers

Well, unlike you, I understood the entirety of that interview lol.

• Cheers 4

12 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Well, exactly. They had a translator for Podz last year who seemingly spoke English well, but still chose to use the translator out of comfort and/or being precise in his understanding and communication. 

Yeah, it’s a nitpick. At least for me. I admit it. 

However, it seems like someone ought to have been there to step in for Kuz, when he clearly wasn’t able to clarify his thoughts as probably as precisely as he wanted to. 

The Canucks organization should have, again in my opinion, been a bit more prepared for this. Just seems minor league to me. 

Expecting other players to address the media on his translated behalf seems bush league. 

These aren’t the days of Larionov and Krutov after all. :picard:

Again .... how do you know they said they didn't want a translator. And podz was 18 in a totally different country and hardly could speak the language. Anyway to each their own . Not something I'd get butthurt over.

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

To me the biggest battle is Hoglander vs Kuzmenko.

I hate that everyone is penciling Hogs outside the lineup/in Abbotsford, he can create offense & has that honey badger element. And clearly this regime hasn't seen Hogs at his best. (Which worries me tbh)

Obviously there's a ton of depth, & Kuzmenko needs opportunity to establish himself, but Hogs has alot of talent/ability too let's not have that go by the wayside.

It's not Hogs vs Kuz. Kuz has a spot locked. You don't leave Russia for the pressbox.

Hogs is overrated on here. On a positive note, he's great as a 13th forwars and unfortunatley 1 foward will ger hurt in camp.

8 hours ago, J-23 said:

Hogs is going to have to work his ass off. As of right now it seems like:

Pearson - Miller - Boeser

Kuz - Pettersson - Mikheyev

Garland - Horvat - Podz

Joshua - Dickinson - Lazar

Pearson top 3.ha , he’s a third liner on his good days. 
No way horvat resigns if he’s pencilled as a third line Center  i can hear his agent now asking for a trade.
A guy in his prime on a contract a year after career best goals best face-off man on the team rewarded with a demotion. 

Telling Bo he’s the third line Center is the same as telling him 
To  not resign and to ask for a trade. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, combover said:

No way horvat resigns if he’s pencilled as a third line Center  i can hear his agent now asking for a trade.
A guy in his prime on a contract a year after career best goals best face-off man on the team rewarded with a demotion. 

I'm surprised with Pearson.

The third line is weird though.....Bo will still get top PP and PK and finish with tons of ice.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, J-23 said:

Hogs is going to have to work his ass off. As of right now it seems like:

Pearson - Miller - Boeser

Kuz - Pettersson - Mikheyev

Garland - Horvat - Podz

Joshua - Dickinson - Lazar

Yep.  That's a good 4th line and Hoglander is the only one who doesn't play centre.

But camp isn't over till it's over and in a competitive camp, the guys who want it the most are often successful.  I'm thinking of how Stecher won himself a spot in the last preseason game in his first year

3 minutes ago, combover said:

I'm not seeing them as 1st, 2nd, 3rd line.  I'm seeing them as lines with complimentary players to the centre + a 4th line with players who can play up the line up (Lazar, Joshua and Dickinson are all centres).  That's a really good forward group.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1