The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How the Canucks Can Be Cap Compliant for Opening Day

Rate this topic

Drive-By Body Pierce

To dumb it all down, all in all, we have 1.8M in cap space assuming we send 2 of Rathbone, Aman, or Karlsson. Not ideal considering we’d only be operating with 12 forwards and 7 defenseman.  

So with all 3 of them combined, we have literally only 30k of cap space making us compliant with absolutely no wiggle room whatsoever, but with a full NHL roster.

No point in putting Myers and Dermott on LTIR, would only give us short term cash savings but would be back to 30k in cap space upon their return. 

Management had all summer man. Very disappointing.

• Thanks 1

the journalist who wrote this article is wrong. They are assuming that Ferland will have to be on the opening roster and then placed onto LTIR after.

Ferland does not have to be on the opening Roster. There is a rule that states if a team can prove a injured player won't be able to play for 24 days or ten games they can start the season on LTIR.

There will be no issues with being compliant.

Edit: after further review the journalist addressed that Ferland can start on the LTIR. But again they are making very weird transactions for no reason minimizing the ASCL calculation.

the best possible ASCL calculation we could have is 82.48 with Ferland and Dermott on LTIR

the second best ASCL calculation we could have is 82.39 with Ferland on LTIR and Di Guiseppe and Plasek on LTIR or SOIR

Edited by Petey_BOI
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

Capfriendly just tweeted that management nailed a perfect opening night roster (salary wise) to bank every penny of Ferland’s 3.5 mil LTIR.  Kind of a fun little tie in to some discussions going on around here.

Edited by ilduce39
I have no idea how to link the tweet so it shows up :(

11 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Capfriendly just tweeted that management nailed a perfect opening night roster (salary wise) to bank every penny of Ferland’s 3.5 mil LTIR.  Kind of a fun little tie in to some discussions going on around here.

I knew that Canucks army journalist was out to lunch.

However i know nothing about SOIR penalties (and likely would have missed it)

on a side note Cap friendly needs me to be able to calculate SOIR penalties on there website so I don't look like a FOOL calculating a ASCL 118k from optimum.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Here’s the tweet:

Edit: and the follow up:

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1