The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers | Oct. 15, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Posted this in a group chat :

“The team has no Jovo, Bieksa, Edler, Salo, Mitchell, kinda guys and no partner around them to allow them to excel. What a gross dcorps the Canucks have.”

Awesome forwards, awesome goalie, shit Defence. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Who’s that bud? 

Lazar? 

We have 4 decent centres. 

The team needs to build around them. 

And it’s not the team’s Centers that are the biggest issues. 

It’s D-Corps. 

And culture of being passive and not ‘hard’ to play against. 

It’s a ‘weak’ team overall. There’s no body checking or physicality, aside from the 4th line. 

It’s just a bunch or guys who don’t want to lay it out. 

It’s not even close to what we all expect. 

Even the Sedins are probably thinking, ‘Man up and stop being such pussies’. 

If you think we lost either game to start the season because of our defence only I cannot agree.

5 on 5 we have played well.

We have lost both games on special teams.

our PK was far better this game.

I agree in the sense to be a true cup contender we need to upgrade our defence.

but right now it is Miller it is Horvat it is our PP that’s the problem.

shorthanded goals against in two games all involved:

petey, Horvat and Miller.

We almost gave them a breakaway on another PP too. 

miller has been on the ice for how many goals against now? 

horvats done what so far? 

Kyle Burroughs just stood up to probably the second toughest skater in the entire league without hesitating.

I don’t think toughness is the problem right now it’s:

Attitude and Heart and it starts from our leaders Miller and Horvat. They both need to be better, and our PP needs to be FAR better. 

in two games we have had:

13 POWERPLAYS

1 goal

2 short handed against 

this is atrocious for a team that NEEDS to have a powerplay that punishes the other team to discourage taking cheap shots at our stars.

the fact we’ve blown two leads in back to back games and have been scored on more than we have scored goals for on our PP is an issue that doesn’t involve our defence at all. 

also I believe it was Lazar who lost the draw that lead to deangelos goal? Was his strong side but big defensive draw on PK. It happens though and they had like 4/5 pps in a row they were bound to score. 

Edited by R3aL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, R3aL said:

If you think we lost either game to start the season because of our defence only I cannot agree.

Kyle Burroughs just stood up to probably the second toughest skater in the entire league without hesitating.

Attitude and Heart and it starts from our leaders Miller and Horvat. They both need to be better, and our PP needs to be FAR better. 

13 POWERPLAYS

1 goal

2 short handed against 

this is atrocious for a team that NEEDS to have a powerplay that punishes the other team to discourage taking cheap shots at our stars.

the fact we’ve blown two leads in back to back games and have been scored on more than we have scored goals for on our PP is an issue that doesn’t invoke our defence at all. 

also I believe it was Lazar who lost the draw that lead to deangelos goal? Was his strong side but big defensive draw on PK. It happens though and they had like 4/5 pps in a row they were bound to score. 

Yup.  Our top guys are letting us down.  We need to “shake up” the country club?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Ya, his one week injury is looking more like at least a month.  We need his speed.  

Think we need his speed his pking and I think he needs to skate with miller for a little bit to cover his ass

• Like 1

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

13 POWERPLAYS

1 goal

2 short handed against 

the fact we’ve blown two leads in back to back games and have been scored on more than we have scored goals for on our PP is an issue that doesn’t invoke our defence at all. 

Excellent post. Well thought out. Thank you. 

I disagree with some of it and I’ll reply a bit late; either when I’ve had more to drink or less. 

No promises either way. 

13 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I get your thoughts. 

We simply don’t have it. 

The priority is on D other than another forward. 

Thats my point and I think the underlying deficiency. 

Just my opinion of course and as valid as yours my friend. 

You are not wrong. Priority is D.

That is why I would stack the lines. Miller, Horvat, Pettersson, Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Podkolzin/Garland should be our top 6. No changes to that. Pearson - Miller - Boeser won’t give you much production compared to Miller - Pettersson - Kuz. With the remaining top wingers move them for RHD’s and a shutdown 3C centre.

Move out one or couple of these guys: Boeser, Garland, Pearson, Hogs as maybe a sweetner. Get RHD and a 3C.

We get a better defensive core and a shutdown 3C centre who will take some of the workload off Bo. Allow Bo to focus more offensively.

Of course, easier said than done, but I don’t think we need to be this stacked with wingers especially when we are lacking in other places.

• Like 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Yup.  Our top guys are letting us down.  We need to “shake up” the country club?

due to the injuries / flu to start season on top of the road trip I think they are going to get 6-10 games to see how things level out then to 20 to see if we progress. Or if it’s going to be same old song and dance. 

because our 5 on 5 play is good and our defence is stepping up. 

if these “stars” can’t get their crap together they can’t keep blaming coaches for their attitude and ya country club arrogance. The way they managed the puck on the PP was very frustrating  

3 minutes ago, J-23 said:

You are not wrong. Priority is D.

That is why I would stack the lines. Miller, Horvat, Pettersson, Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Podkolzin/Garland should be our top 6. No changes to that. Pearson - Miller - Boeser won’t give you much production compared to Miller - Pettersson - Kuz. With the remaining top wingers move them for RHD’s and a shutdown 3C centre.

Move out one or couple of these guys: Boeser, Garland, Pearson, Hogs as maybe a sweetner. Get RHD and a 3C.

We get a better defensive core and a shutdown 3C centre who will take some of the workload off Bo. Allow Bo to focus more offensively.

Of course, easier said than done, but I don’t think we need to be this stacked with wingers especially when we are lacking in other places.

I don’t think you’re wrong in moving out those assets and bringing in the defencemen that can help. 

No point bringing a potentially game breaking dman at TDL. Time is now. Give him/them a chance to gel. 

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

I don’t think you’re wrong in moving out those assets and bringing in the defencemen that can help. 

No point bringing a potentially game breaking dman at TDL. Time is now. Give him/them a chance to gel. 

time is now because if we don't, we might lose the season again

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Has JTM always looked this slow?  

Well boeser is skating extremely slower than he was at the end of the season last year similar to how he started last year, a step behind and for a guy already on the slower side it’s really noticeable rn. He needs to do some power skating work in the off-season. And if he is already he needs to make a change in program / coach. 

pearson isnt fast so the combo might be slowing him down.

I haven’t really noticed him looking slow but I think he’s thinking the game defensively slow. 

Just now, Canucks Curse said:

time is now because if we don't, we might lose the season again

It’s not hyperbole, nor overdramatizing to say that. 

We all saw this last season.

It was the first part of the season that screwed the playoff chances. 

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

It’s not hyperbole, nor overdramatizing to say that. 

We all saw this last season.

It was the first part of the season that screwed the playoff chances. 

which is why I do not understand why these guys are coming out so gentle, flat and disinterested... speaks to lack of leadership and stale core.... fitting we played torti's team today.

• Cheers 1