The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Buffalo Sabres at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 22, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, Muttley said:

He hasn't been feeling good since the start of training camp. Not bad enough to keep him out until last night, but he hasn't been at full tilt yet this year.

Hughes defensive game needs a lot of polish if he's going to be the #1 guy for this team.  That said, I am seeing improvement, I'm just worried teams are figuring out how to play him.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Hughes defensive game needs a lot of polish if he's going to be the #1 guy for this team.  That said, I am seeing improvement, I'm just worried teams are figuring out how to play him.

Would help if he had an even above average defensive defenseman to mitigate that.  At least one that can handle top 4 minutes.  Canucks were left with such a player but sadly he was cast adrift like day old stale bread.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Putgolzin said:

So what do we get - just the cap space?

Or with how his recent play, do we have to add?

They'll get something decent for Miller, everyone knows he's going to come back.  Boeser, who knows?  He's still a producer, perhaps there's a few teams out there who don't see the downside and might offer up something.

And yes, the cap space is valuable.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

They'll get something decent for Miller, everyone knows he's going to come back.  Boeser, who knows?  He's still a producer, perhaps there's a few teams out there who don't see the downside and might offer up something.

And yes, the cap space is valuable.

He's a cap dump unfortunately at the moment.  No team will bite on that re-signed contract imho.  If it was only one year, sure at team might take the chance at the trading deadline.  We'd half to retain a good chunk of his salary (which kind of defeats the purpose of trading him)

26 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

If the team hadn't turned it around so drastically last year, I'd understand.

But it's the same group (with some great additions) that had a pretty impressive climb from the basement from December onward last year. With a 99 point getter contributing greatly in that. He has flaws for sure but he IS his own harshest critic and won't be happy with what's happening. Won't accept it and that's step one. Maybe the entire team should slam a gate and drop some F bombs rather than simply accepting what is happening. Show some emotion.

Some are stuck on their stand that he should be gone and and I feel it's just trying to somehow salvage their take from last year as "correct". He stayed and now they want to revert back to what he "does" without factoring in everything that he does. He's pouty and gives up on plays...bad passes. Yep. But when he gets going he's a force so don't leave that part out. He's a bit cranky and nasty...need more of that not less of it.

We don't like to be in this position (again) for sure....but if a team can bounce back this one's had experience in doing just that and has shown us they can. How about we factor that in to the "history" of the team?

OK, I'm done for now...curling's on. Yeeha. (I've learned how to move on and file it in the "done" category. Next).

Exactly Deb; JT is a great player and will return to his form once things turn around. He was and is a great resigning.

JT is  an emotional dude however; great during the good times…poor during the bad. That’s why we need guys like Schenn, Bo and before Sutter. JT is not a captain.

But the teams issue is they were setup to fail by JR/PA; they did nothing at the biggest hole on the team (Top4 RHD), instead blowing cap on luxury FAs (Ilya) and redundant fwds (Beoser). Now, guys are playing out of their style and in uncomfortable minutes….and it’s eroded confidence.

People can say want they want about JB, but he saw the holes and addressed them with the OEL and Hamonic acquisitions. Problem is Hamonic didn’t trust science.

• Cheers 3

What a disappointing game for a home opener for a team that went winless they should have had some pep in their step and they just didn't in the 3rd period yet again...are they tired or out of shape or just so disjointed that nobody seems to care?

People calling JT LE 2.0 is laughable to me, it is 6 games into the year if it were NOT for JT last year we don't finish they way we did imo. JT had a career year and it would have been the best choice to try and cash in on that by trading him for a solid return if it were available...but in Canuck fashion we held on to him which is fine, but we didn't address the area of need on D all post season. I don't care how new management is there is no excuse to NOT do Everything you can to improve your weakest link that being the D. Instead they wanted rely on Demko being a stud for a full season, which is just not fair to him because it is IMpossible for ANY G to do with our D core!

Why is Boudreau NOT putting some of the blame on himself or his coaching staff?!? They are at fault as NObody is safe from criticism with how the team has played this year. 

One last thing...Where the Fcuk is our god damn CAPTAIN...invisible as always. He is suppose to be a leader, I see ZERO leadership from him. Pettersson should get the C and gut this team down to the studs if this play continues for another 5-10 games. I know it won't happen but getting Trotz while he is still available might be the best thing for this team NOW and in the FUTURE. He knows how to coach in the Most important end of the rink Your Own End!

Sadly this team has made way TOO many bad decisions personnel wise for years and it's left us in a pickle. Some great young talent with some bad contracts to older players and NO leadership. Bo is going through the motions, maybe he is vocal in the dressing room but I sure don't see him being a leader on the bench, whenever the camera pans onto him he just looks defeated. Everyone sitting down not talking going through the motions collecting a fabulous pay cheque while hard working people pay out the ARSE for tickets/food/drinks to come watch them play like this...OUCH!!! 

45 minutes ago, stawns said:

To me, it's always been clear where the issue is.  Miller is not captain material, but he will always be a big personality who influences the room one way or the other.

I feel for Bo because I don't think there's an issue with him and Miller, but I feel he's caught having to be the bridge in a split.  Ultimately this is Petey's team and do we really want a big personality like Miller dominating the room as Petey comes to.the forefront?  

Ultimately they should have seen this and corrected it last year or in the off season.  Now, I believe, they need to move Miller (and any of his entourage) and take what they can get before his ntc clause kicks in.

a big personality taking up media air time could also protect Petey, to some degree. It really depends on the person.

I do think that mgmt showed their cards - they locked up Miller before Bo. Thats not insignificant. They will happily keep Bo, but it has to be at the right price. I give Bo a lot of credit for continuing to be Mr. Consistency through all of this, it shows a heck of a lot of character.

As I sadi, this is going to be a rough decision one way or another, but its rough right now with no clear path since we don't know what other teams have offered for our players.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Exactly Deb; JT is a great player and will return to his form once things turn around. He was and is a great resigning.

JT is  an emotional dude however; great during the good times…poor during the bad. That’s why we need guys like Schenn, Bo and before Sutter. JT is not a captain.

But the teams issue is they were setup to fail by JR/PA; they did nothing at the biggest hole on the team (Top4 RHD), instead blowing cap on luxury FAs (Ilya) and redundant fwds (Beoser). Now, guys are playing out of their style and in uncomfortable minutes….and it’s eroded confidence.

People can say want they want about JB, but he saw the holes and addressed them with the OEL and Hamonic acquisitions. Problem is Hamonic didn’t trust science.

chris-tanev-2017-39.jpg

33 minutes ago, RWJC said:

That’s right. And it’s an inevitability that change happens and players come and go. I understand the attachment as a fan, and the rose coloured glasses being imperative as well at times, but I think we all have to take a real look at how long there have been major questions about this group. Questions that shouldn’t be asked about a collection of players as a whole. We don’t hear so much about individual issues like we do with other teams, instead we hear about psychology and the dynamics of who can play with who. Sadly, it’s been a constant and a major distraction.

This team can only get better but I think folks have to be willing to accept some turnover for us to get there. Nothing wrong with that, it happens to a degree every season. Reality is, its just not working and hasn’t been for quite some time with whomever is leading this group.

I was always fine with either going for it or a blow up, I don't enjoy mediocre sports teams. But I grew up watching the Roughriders and Blue Jays through many many lean years so I know how long it can really take to win it all. But if thats all someone is in it for as a fan, go find a bandwagon. I really enjoy the development phase since building to something makes the losses OK.

What we have here is some kind of massive confusion/disconnect happening. The roster is too talented to be this crappy. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I was always fine with either going for it or a blow up, I don't enjoy mediocre sports teams. But I grew up watching the Roughriders and Blue Jays through many many lean years so I know how long it can really take to win it all. But if thats all someone is in it for as a fan, go find a bandwagon. I really enjoy the development phase since building to something makes the losses OK.

What we have here is some kind of massive confusion/disconnect happening. The roster is too talented to be this crappy. 

How many times do we have to hear this roster is too talented for where they are at. It happens too often. I think it is safe to say they might have talent but the team is what it is. The wrong mix of players. Fans are going to cling to what happened last year but a team that learned something wouldn't come in and  be even worse than last year. They would have taken the lesson and done something. This team just doesn't have those players and the proof if the start yet again. How many times we going to do this? I could care less about what happened last year. It does nothing for the team this year.

8 hours ago, BPA said:

Ultimately it is JR fault.  

He said he wanted cap space and get younger.  He did neither.  Have to think FA put the squeeze on him to get the team back into the playoffs.

And maybe Rutherford decided to agree, just to teach Frankie a lesson. 

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

How many times do we have to hear this roster is too talented for where they are at. It happens too often. I think it is safe to say they might have talent but the team is what it is. The wrong mix of players. Fans are going to cling to what happened last year but a team that learned something wouldn't come in and  be even worse than last year. They would have taken the lesson and done something. This team just doesn't have those players and the proof if the start yet again. How many times we going to do this? I could care less about what happened last year. It does nothing for the team this year.

as many times as it takes I guess. It doesn't make sense from a pure talent pov. 

7 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Between this start, the jersey ad, and the Aquilini allegations, I'm at the point where I'll watch a game if I have nothing better to do, but I won't go out of my way.  

Come tomorrow, there will be nothing in your way, so the path to the couch is direct and free of obstacles.
Hell, I bet you're moving stuff around right now. ::D

• Haha 2