The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Carolina Hurricanes at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 24, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Yes, in fact only 3 shots in the third if you count that backhand.   Something tells me they are playing to get someone fired.   Not sure who yet - but they can't possibly be this bad. This is starting to stink like when they wanted green out of here last year.

Just think they're confidence level is rock bottom. The losing streak that got Green/ Benning fired probably feels like yesterday so it doesn't take much to get back there IMO.

Add the fact that 4 of their top 6-7 D are out right now just compounds everything.

Now if they can pull off a couple wins with this D, that could really turn the season around especially if Hughes comes back earlier then expected.

If they lose a couple more, have to believe a big trade(s) is coming and BB is fired.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Yeah, I'd agree. I don't see any path to right this ship. The already rocky path caved in when we signed Miller in my eyes. We have huge money tied up in a core that simply isn't good enough to compete. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but the only path I see to a cup in the next 10 years is a proper rebuild at this point. Gord I hope I'm wrong, because I also don't see this team rebuilding...

Perhaps the decision was made either Miller or Bo and who would be easier to trade. Maybe nobody was going to give good offer for Miller. 

Doesn't matter who is the coach- this debacle is on the team, and the GM.s- past and current.

Move around a few chairs while the ship sinks; heck for BB sake it would likely be better for his health; to no longer be Canuck coach.

BB has made a few errors this season, but his 'fault' is maybe 10% of the fiasco in front of us.

He over played Quinn- but what else could he do-all the injuries on D

He keeps playing Miller- but benching the upcoming $8 million man would get him in real bad, bad with the GM/PHO and the owner.

I fault him for a few of the lineup decisions, and was not happy with the pre season's lack of ice time for the team as a whole unit.

That said- the players are playing like brain dead morons; not all the time, just when it matters most.

Edited by gurn
  • Upvote 1

The way Bruce has deployed the lines this year has been a travesty.  Bruce had 3 solid lines rolling last season so why turn it all upside down just because of 2 new faces.  

He should have never put Kuzmenko with Petey before earning that spot.  And I’ve heard you can’t put Horvat with Kuzmenko, why not?  Instead, everyone is focused of Kuzmenko’s shot but nobody talks abound his playmaking ability.  I think he would have been great on the 3rd line with Horvat, at least we would have had 2 scoring lines familiar with each other while the 3rd line would have more time to figure their chemistry out.  Petey and Kuzmenko feels like a forced marriage.   

Jim R is right, the Canucks had a terrible preseason. But they also had some injuries like Mikheyev and Boeser, they need time to catch up. 

In the mean time while we were waiting why not put Garland with Petey and Podkolzin.  That line was fire last year.  The 2nd line you have Miller with Pearson and Hoglander.  Try those 2 lines first before you start shoe horning in Kuzmenko into a top 6 role. And even now that both Boeser and Mikheyev are back there’s still no rush to have Kuzmenko play in the top 6 just yet.  

Have Miller and Boeser play with a proven NHLer first, like Mikheyev instead of Pearson.  The Miller line needs speed and Pearson is the odd man out on that line.  

Sending Hoglander down was a bad call, he’s one of the Canucks only players pushing drive.  Pearson not doing it.  Bruce literally let his line combo dreams interfere with what was working.  This is how the lines based on last year should have been deployed. 

Mikheyev - Miller - Boeser

Garland - Petey - Podkolzin

Hoglander- Horvat - Pearson/Kuzmenko 

If Kuzmenko is any good let him earn his spot in the top 6, instead of sitting out warriors like Hoglander and Garland out.  I remember the time Bure started on the 4th line.   Bruce has let the pressure of not having a contract extension interfere with his coaching.  He’s lost his mojo. 

Edited by Pure961089

52 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

It's a very short sample size, but so far this year that has looked to be a miss guided move. It's likely the only option anyways though. Bo will have value, and if the Canucks didn't like the offers they heard for Miller when he was playing well on a value contract, can't imagine what type of offers they would receive now 

I think they made the decision to lock into Miller, whether it was a good start to the season or a re-tool.

Bo is an awesome guy, heck of a player. Just not sure he's the guy to lead this team... maybe thats harsh but I don't mean to be raging on him. Maybe its just not part of the skill set and thats OK.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

Maybe, but who signs a player to a 7 year deal, if nobody else would trade for the player?

Shouldn't someone's spidey sense have kicked in?

" I have a player, nobody wants to trade for, so Imma sign him for 7 years; that'll show them".

I guess Rutherford was true to his word then, he'll either trade him or re sign him 

• Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yuck, but yeah whatever at this point. If they don't get he's a bad fit by now. Why we need a huge financial anchor I'm not sure but I guess they want to do it the hard way. I wouldn't mind keeping Bo but Miller is useless to what we should be trying to accomplish here. Bo is a full two years younger and a team player.

To be honest though the only primary concern should be how to revamp the defence while building a future around the young core. 

Then sign more expensive forwards. We could let them all go if need be in order to deal with the primary issues. Enough building from slow defensively weak wingers in.

all contending teams have a veteran leader, and Miller can fit that bill just fine. 

If we do hit the reset button, there are many solutions where Miller is a great fit for us. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, JM_ said:

I think they made the decision to lock into Miller, whether it was a good start to the season or a re-tool.

Bo is an awesome guy, heck of a player. Just not sure he's the guy to lead this team... maybe thats harsh but I don't mean to be raging on him. Maybe its just not part of the skill set and thats OK.

Maybe perhaps Bo wants to move on to somewhere else. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I'd love nothing more than to see Bo move somewhere  and win a cup, if we're in rebuild mode. 

Edited by JM_

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

Maybe, but who signs a player to a 7 year deal, if nobody else would trade for the player?

Shouldn't someone's spidey sense have kicked in?

" I have a player, nobody wants to trade for, so Imma sign him for 7 years; that'll show them".

It wasn't that nobody would trade for him....it was more that they didn't want to give up what the Canucks wanted for him.

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

all contending teams have a veteran leader, and Miller can fit that bill just fine. 

If we do hit the reset button, there are many solutions where Miller is a great fit for us. 

I agree , but would also say you could swap Millers and Horvat name in your statement and would still ring true. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I don't think the season started that way, but the longer this goes on the more I could see him opting for a fresh start somewhere else.

Miller didn't sign on thinking we'd be heading towards a rebuild or retool either I'd imagine, so I'm still hoping we trade him. 

I do hope we opt for an actual rebuild or once, because we haven't been rebuilding this last decade so much as spinning our wheels just trying to make the playoffs. That's the funny part of most of the last decade, Benning's goal was always the playoffs and his trades and signing reflect that. 

I started following the Canucks in the early 2000's, we've never rebuilt while I've followed them. I wish we would. We were spinning our wheels in mediocrity as the Sedin era wound down, we still are. Not good enough to compete but not bad enough to consistently draft elite talent. Not that the lottery helped us at all. 

And then you get our ineptitude beyond the first round of the draft.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

It wasn't that nobody would trade for him....it was more that they didn't want to give up what the Canucks wanted for him.

How do any of know, though?

Maybe they had offers and maybe they didn't.

If they did, maybe PA should have taken them.