The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Ethan Bear, Lane Pederson to Canucks for 2023 5th-round pick

1 minute ago, Devron said:

But that’s a ridiculous argument your trying to make. For one the trade helped both teams. That’s a possibility you know. They needed cap relief. We targeted a player that could help us. I’m sure we could have gotten Johnson or Palat instead. Would that have been better. Would that have helped our tanking needs. We could have traded Miller this summer for the same kind of pick but we chose not too. Because a pick is a gamble so unless we are getting a package to improve our defence it didn’t happen.

Trying to make a point we shouldn’t have traded for Miller is complete ignorance 

Did it really help Vancouver?  Did it make them a Stanley Cup winning team?  No  Did it even make them a legitimate playoff team?  Maybe looked as much in the first year (2019/20), but certainly did not after that.

It's good for Miller that he's been productive here, but he hasn't made the team better.  And again, Tampa Bay used the asset they got from the deal to add a player and that player contributed to two successful cup runs.

Yes, both sides benefitted in some way, but the team that won two cups benefitted tenfold.  There's nothing wrong saying that because it's just the truth.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

12 minutes ago, AV. said:

We don't know.  What we do know is they had Miller and got swept with him to Columbus as PT winners in 2018/19.  Then, they didn't have Miller, used the asset they got from his trade to get Coleman, and then won two cups.  Is it a coincidence?  Who knows.  But factually, they didn't win with and then did win twice without him.

wow you must be a gymnast. That was quite a stretch

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, AV. said:

Did it really help Vancouver?  Did it make them a Stanley Cup winning team?  No  Did it even make them a legitimate playoff team?  Maybe looked as much in the first year (2019/20), but certainly did not after that.

It's good for Miller that he's been productive here, but he hasn't made the team better.  And again, Tampa Bay used the asset they got from the deal to add a player and that player contributed to two successful cup runs.

Yes, both sides benefitted in some way, but the team that won two cups benefitted tenfold.  There's nothing wrong saying that because it's just the truth.

:picard:

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, AV. said:

Tampa Bay won two cups with the pick they acquired from Vancouver (traded for Coleman)

Vancouver won one and a half playoffs rounds in 3 years with Miller.

Pretty good deal for Tampa Bay, I'd say.

Well considering one team was building and one was a contender that is usually how trades with contenders work. But good job glossing over how much of an impact JT has had. And we won 2 series not one and a half, try and discredit the play in all you want it was still a series and it was won. 

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

So Boston won the Wheeler trade?

and what about a trade where neither side wins the cup? Who won the Luongo trade? What about when Brian Burke worked some draft floor magic to get both Sedins? Canucks lost those trades as well?

39B12A6B-07AA-47A6-AA15-C2BDACC0882E.jpeg

Yeah, they did.

Winnipeg got a great player, a captain at that, but they've never made it past the 3rd round, much less have any sustained post-season success.  Boston were clear winners.

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, Devron said:

We watch hockey to see which team can hoist the Stanley Cup by the season's end. That's the only thing that matters.  What does it matter how many points a player scores?

Did FLA or CGY get trophies last season for having players above 100 points?

11 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Doomed to mediocrity. 

This management group wont be around this time next year. 

trading a 5th round pick = doom.

oh god, i wonder what your reaction is when it starts raining outside.

RAIN? I just washed my car 4 weeks ago, and I have to drive with the windows up. This is the worst day ever

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Well considering one team was building and one was a contender that is usually how trades with contenders work. But good job glossing over how much of an impact JT has had. And we won 2 series not one and a half, try and discredit the play in all you want it was still a series and it was won. 

But the team that was building didn't get anywhere new that they weren't already after this deal.  We know this because three years on, the Canucks are back to being outside of the playoffs, which is where they were before getting Miller.  Tampa Bay, on the other hand, reached a new height after this deal.  These are just facts,

5 minutes ago, AV. said:

What a stupid / ignorant comment! What world are you in anyways? What a failure you are!! 

2 minutes ago, AV. said:

Yeah, they did.

Winnipeg got a great player, a captain at that, but they've never made it past the 3rd round, much less have any sustained post-season success.  Boston were clear winners.

Alright I get it. There are winners and losers. Every team that wins the cup is the winner. Every team that does not win the cup is a loser. What great insight. Clearly there is no point in discussions otherwise. Over 50 years without a cup and here you are. Loser fan of a loser team 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, AV. said:

We watch hockey to see which team can hoist the Stanley Cup by the season's end. That's the only thing that matters.  What does it matter how many points a player scores?

Did FLA or CGY get trophies last season for having players above 100 points?

Dude never change! I can't stop laughing at your logic.

your a funny guy did you know that?

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, AV. said:

No, I'm using facts.

What he's referring to, is you somehow trying to imply TB getting swept by CBJ is on Miller.

TB s#!@ the bed. Plain and simple. Their leading scorer for that round was... ERIC CERNAK with 3 points in 4 games, the only TB player with 3 points. In 4 games TB allowed 19 goals against while scoring 8. 

But please continue, it's good for a laugh.

Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

The Loui react was a fitting tribute to a Canuck legend, he's right up there with other players who've gotten reacts in Burrows, the Sedin's, Pettersson, and Hughes. It's honestly a travesty that he wasn't brought back as PK depth, he was a free agent this summer. 

I miss the Loui react, and I miss Loui.  

The Coyotes shared this picture on their Twitter account in ...

I don't. Especially the own goals.

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

Alright I get it. There are winners and losers. Every team that wins the cup is the winner. Every team that does not win the cup is a loser. What great insight. Clearly there is no point in discussions otherwise. Over 50 years without a cup and here you are. Loser fan of a loser team 

Yes, this is how sports work in the grand scheme of things.

We can segment things further and look at micro-wins (i.e trading for a productive player) but the main goal for each team is to win the final trophy.  We don't award Stanley Cups, or World Series, or Super Bowls, for having productive players.

We don't have the Art Ross playoffs involving the top 16 scorers, do we now?

This should be clear enough.