The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Ethan Bear, Lane Pederson to Canucks for 2023 5th-round pick

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I was actually upset that we let Chatfield walk, he reminded me a bit of Tanev, very defensively sound…but the few shots he got with the Canucks a couple seasons ago he didn’t look good. So back to the farm he went.

It’s great to hear he’s doing well in Carolina tho, he was an awesome dman for our Utica club when he was our property. Benning chose not to retain him, as an RFA so he become a UFA and Carolina signed him last season. So that all happened before our current management come into place. I don’t see how we can blame our current management for letting him go, that was on Benning…

its so funny how different fans view players. I couldn't stand Chatfiled, for me he couldn't be gone soon enough. 

But that was under different coaching and systems. In Carolina he appears to be doing well. 

Its why teams continue to take chances on these guys, you just never know what they can be under a new system. 

So we'll see, can Bear be that 2nd pair RHD, that would be so damn timely.

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

its so funny how different fans view players. I couldn't stand Chatfiled, for me he couldn't be gone soon enough. 

But that was under different coaching and systems. In Carolina he appears to be doing well. 

Its why teams continue to take chances on these guys, you just never know what they can be under a new system. 

I could only think two things about Chatfield, 

we already have Hughes and that he was no where near Hughes in ability.

and older.

Hughes checks a lot of boxes is ways that will eclipse not smaller skilled D men.

But he’s strong side gives up a weak side.

we need a D man that can fill a void with Hughes and still be an presence in all three zones, like Hughes.

I think, KB3.  Ethan Bear has a lot of questions and a lot of opportunities to answer them.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I simply don’t understand why someone could be upset with this. 

We got a solid depth RD, for what, a 5th round pick? What are the odds that the 5th round picks turns into a future RD stud?

We have a need NOW, and management is addressing it. I believe we got a good group of players here and just need to supplement it properly. 

SHOW SOME LOVE FOR THE BOYS :emot-parrot:

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Yeah he did not do well for us at the nhl level, he played way more solid in utica. Watching him play in Carolina now is what I saw of him in utica. He obviously fits with their team where he didn’t with ours. The reverse can hopefully be said about Bear on our team. He didn’t fit in Carolina but he sure seems like a good fit here.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

55 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

I could only think two things about Chatfield, 

we already have Hughes and that he was no where near Hughes in ability.

and older.

Hughes checks a lot of boxes is ways that will eclipse not smaller skilled D men.

But he’s strong side gives up a weak side.

we need a D man that can fill a void with Hughes and still be an presence in all three zones, like Hughes.

I think, KB3.  Ethan Bear has a lot of questions and a lot of opportunities to answer them.

I’d like to think when a player is drafted to a team and has feelings of reluctance to go there , or maybe that feeling never existed but because something crappy happens to after being there makes you want out ,which for bear is Exactly what happened in edm  when drafted by edm he was  young naive and close to home and possibly never expected the racism. But he found out and probably felt he couldn’t get out of there fast enough . Now he finds himself in Carolina 1state north of Georgia ya good team. But not the most comfortable spot for any visible minority. So now there’s this opportunity to finally land somewhere where you know native players are far more excepted , even revered (Gino) it’s no secret he’s wanted to be here. Bearing all that history in mind you would understand entering in he’s pretty pumped ,highly motivated but most of all happy to land somewhere where he knows none of the peripheral crap he had to endure doesn’t factor in. His agent says he’s in the best shape he’s ever been in ,even    after  the the long COVID bout. Being content about who your playing for is huge. No body knows more about having to bring your A game than bear is at this moment. I put my money on him doing just that. He’s going to be a fan favourite.  And it won’t take long.  GCG. 

Edited by chon derry
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

he does, I'm happy for him. It really sounds like this is the place he wanted to be. 

• Cheers 1

Given the crap he went through in Edm I'm sure he's happy to be out of there. But he's still a replacement player because of injuries to Pool and Stillman. Dermott never really showed up? Whatever this is a good chance for a player like Bear. Watched the video and he looks like an opportunistic shooter like Stecher, hopefully scores more. Plus Bear's defensive play has to be in order. 

RHD spots are open.

ps I don't think Myrenburg is 5 years away,  with his size and skating I thought he could make a shot in more like 2 or 3 years.  Imo

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Yeah he did not do well for us at the nhl level, he played way more solid in utica. Watching him play in Carolina now is what I saw of him in utica. He obviously fits with their team where he didn’t with ours. The reverse can hopefully be said about Bear on our team. He didn’t fit in Carolina but he sure seems like a good fit here.

if the fancy pink and blue charts are correct, you can see why they would target Bear for our team.

I don't have any ill feelings about Chatfield, just thought he was a bum :lol: good for him he's found a home. 

• Haha 2