The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Pittsburgh Penguins at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 28, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

This is JT; the best guy when things are going his way….a pouter when they aren’t. Not a huge deal, but people have to take it for what it is. Bo is the opposite; not too high…not too low. Perfect captain

Good points, it really is starting to look like JT is great at faceoffs but not suited for full time center duty. It’s a very cerebral position. Putting JT with Bo has definitely evened him out to just focus on playing his style of game.

And to that point I owe Bo an apology. I’ve been hard on him this year. We all want so much from this team and him, so anything goes wrong we point the fingers there first. A good thing for myself to remember is that all the guys out there care and are trying hard to succeed. Sometimes letting the players work through the tough times is the way it needs to go. So I need to chill out and allow that process to happen.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I don't know that "pouter" is the right word.

"Overthinker", sure.

But a pouter means he's feeling sorry for himself and I don't think that's the case. He's pissed off when he checks out. It's an issue...we know it, he knows it. But I don't think he's pouting...he's "stewing" and often that leads to good things after the fact. Fires him up. 

The less JT thinks the better IMO, he is driven by his passion, let that be his driving factor. Don’t think, just do. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

The less JT thinks the better IMO, he is driven by his passion, let that be his driving factor. Don’t think, just do. 

The interview that he talked about his passion being a blessing and a curse really said it all.

That the emotion that sometimes drops him out of the play momentarily is also what fuels him as well. A double edged sword. That he plays on the edge and it can go both ways. He's aware of it and trying to reel it in. That's the first step.

Anything but "pouting". Even my wording...overthinking wasn't quite it. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Me too! We were at the Superskills when he was just getting his foot in the door...my daughter met him and we became instant fans from that point onward. I lol'd and said "ok, you can marry that one" (she had some bad bf's beforehand).

What he always had/showed was determination. It got him into the NHL and it carried him to higher ground when he was here. He learned to adjust his game as he needed to and also had to battle adversity (assversity...Auger/McLean) but still rose above it all. Yep.

Years later, he and my daughter met again at her workplace....

312616277_10159791972920549_666036272479

There is only one Burr.

Well, there's another now too but.....

Just awesome deb! Never got to meet Burr, he is one of my all time canuck favs. Met the twins, bieksa, linden, and a bunch of prospects over the years at the penticton tourny. But never Burr maybe one day!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FaninMex said:

Miller was going after Crosby all game. Hit him and battled him every opportunity he could. Took him off his game.

I think this is the role he has to embody, and playing with Bo in a shutdown 2nd unit works well. Sadly the 3 scoring lines just didn't work because Miller wasn't strong enough to run his own line, but just focussing on one star player works much better.

Means our 3rd and 4th lines will be very weak, especially without Lazar, but if we can shutdown one line entirely with JT and Bo, and hope Petey's line just hems his line (their 2nd line) down then we'll at least be in games.

No surprise our PP is better with Hughes injured, this happened before. We simplify things when Hughes is out, not so much pretty passing and just desperately try to get shots through and it works. Also, the 2nd unit gets a bit more time too.

I really wish Hughes would shoot more or try a slapper every now and then instead of just being a QB and focusing on the forwards to score.

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

No surprise our PP is better with Hughes injured, this happened before. We simplify things when Hughes is out, not so much pretty passing and just desperately try to get shots through and it works. Also, the 2nd unit gets a bit more time too.

I really wish Hughes would shoot more or try a slapper every now and then instead of just being a QB and focusing on the forwards to score.

He was starting to from what I saw.....

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Our goalies stopped pucks at about .850 during the first 8 games.  We saw last night how good our club looks when our goalie is better than his opposite.  

This is true but you can't rely on the goalie to win you games.  When you build a team, you have to have a great foundation and that is defense.

Sure you have to draft BPA because you need to draft players with the highest probability of becoming an NHL player.  But at some point, you have to correct flaws in the line up.  This is where they are now and have been for a couple of years.  

2 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Huh? You think the team wants aman to move up to 2c?   Horvat isnt going anywhere.   Its obvious that miller is a better winger than centre at this point.  

Oh I’m with ya there Miller is a winger but it takes two to tango and if this team is out of the playoff mix around TD again and Allvin has said no one is walking for nothing

if horvat isn’t signed at the TD, he’s gone …as he should be we can’t afford to let that asset walk