The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Pittsburgh Penguins at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 28, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

26 minutes ago, Muttley said:

That first unit is awesome. No reason to think that can't be one of the best in the league once they spend a little more time together.

Ridiculous amount of talent on that PP. For some reason though, I just find that Hughes isn’t as impactful as he should be on the PP. Might just stem from his muffin-shot and teams not respecting it and cheating towards our flank shooters, especially EP.

I still don’t know why Rathbone isn’t a fixture on PP2 at the very least. He’s looked really good every time he’s on there.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

Compare to Jared McCann when drafted by Vancouver: (moping) "It is what it is."

Man, people really jumped all over him for that. Sure could use a McCann now. Could have been something here if previous management hadn't rushed both him and Virtanen, and traded him for ol' cement feet in Gudbranson. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

Man, people really jumped all over him for that. Sure could use a McCann now. Could have been something here if previous management hadn't rushed both him and Virtanen, and traded him for ol' cement feet in Gudbranson. 

I’d agree if McCann could play defence. He doesn’t really have a spot on this team. He’s successful cause he gets the ice time in Seattle but he’s a pretty meh player tbh 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Devron said:

I’d agree if McCann could play defence. He doesn’t really have a spot on this team. He’s successful cause he gets the ice time in Seattle but he’s a pretty meh player tbh 

We've too many forwards as is, I agree. I just think it's kinda sad how what I presume to mostly be adults 30+ are still jumping on him all these years later for a comment he made as a teenager. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

How many teams got rid of him before he ended up doing something in Seattle. Even Toronto got him just to be expansion draft compliant. 

13 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

How many teams got rid of him before he ended up doing something in Seattle. Even Toronto got him just to be expansion draft compliant. 

Sure, but let's consider the context. He fizzled in Florida as a young player who'd likely been rushed from the get go in Vancouver, but that was Florida before they kinda turned the corner and finally became a good team. He was actually pretty solid in Pittsburgh, and produced roughly a point every second game during his tenure there up until his third season, when he put up 32 points in 43 games. He was acquired for the expansion draft, yes, but for a young prospect who'd been drafted in the 2nd round and a 7th. 

But he'd taken steps towards what he's gone on to do in Seattle while in Pittsburgh, gradually improving. Put up 50 points last season, is up to 8 in 10 so far. I said he could have been something here if we hadn't rushed him and then traded him, I don't think that's farfetched to say. For a player drafted late in the 1st round he's done really well, but people prefer to smear him for something dumb he said as a teenager on what was probably one of the biggest days of his life at that point. 

Edited by Coconuts

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Sure, but let's consider the context. He fizzled in Florida as a young player who'd likely been rushed from the get go in Vancouver, but that was Florida before they kinda turned the corner and finally became a good team. He was actually pretty solid in Pittsburgh, and produced roughly a point every second game during his tenure there. He was acquired for the expansion draft, yes, but for a young prospect who'd been drafted in the 2nd round and a 7th. 

But he'd taken steps towards what he's gone on to do in Seattle while in Pittsburgh, gradually improving. Put up 50 points last season, is up to 8 in 10 so far. I said he could have been something here if we hadn't rushed him and then traded him, I don't think that's farfetched to say. 

Considering the context would include how many years and teams these guys who leave our organization take to actually become a full time player. McCann was a selfish me first kid back then as well. Clearly matured in Seattle finally 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Considering the context would include how many years and teams these guys who leave our organization take to actually become a full time player. McCann was a selfish me first kid back then as well. Clearly matured in Seattle finally 

That's the crux of it though, how many posters on here said and did stupid or immature shit as teenagers? Probably all of us, we simply weren't public figures with fans and media overanalyzing everything we do or say. How many dudes in their teens and early twenties are extremely mature? In my experience it's not most of us. 

I just find it silly when hockey fans hold these teenagers and young adults to a different standard because they're professionals or guys working to try and be professionals, as if they aren't still just teenagers and young adults. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

In Swedish/English it is called Tunder!

My dad used to call his dukes: Tunder  and  Lightning.

Ha ... interesting. I'm originally from the east coast. Reminds me of Newfoundland slang, or east coast dialect with the word "thundering".

Like ... "Lord tunderin' jaysus, ya glued me rubber boots to the floor."

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Switch OEL and Hughes then we will score more often.

We have such hard time gaining the zone without Hughes.

I'd take OEL off the PP and put Rathbone back there. I'd reserve OEL for 5-on-5 minutes as much as possible.

2 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Rathbone doesn't look to be in the top 6 D and probably not going to dress him just so he can be on the pp for a couple minutes per game

I know some don’t agree, but I think Rathbone has shown well enough to be in our top 6. I’m convinced the more he plays, the better he will get. Give him a run of ten games here, and if the progression isn’t there, back to the AHL it is.